How many years should Andy Reid get to win a title with Mahomes as his QB?

Apparition

8 hours ago, N4L said:

The chiefs need to hire an analytic guy to hammer Reid everyday during the off-season on game management. Im talking 2 hours a day every day

I mean, that's literally the only negative thing about him as a coach. Guys play hard for him, his teams are always well prepared etc etc 

If he can take that final step, they would win a lot of close games that they have lost in the past. 

They could even hire someone whose sole job it is to tell Andy when to call timeouts and when to run the ball etc etc  

It shouldn't be this hard 

I remember thinking the exact same thing back in Reid's Eagles days. Dude seems like a slam dunk coach but his clock management is awful. Made me wonder why they didn't just hire someone to do that for him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Soggust said:

I don't think anyone should be "expected" to win titles in team sports, personally.

There should be an expectation, when it comes to someone like Andy, when you have had teams as talented as he has had and gotten close oh so many times. 

He's been to 6 conference championship games, and 1 superbowl. He's anti-clutch as a coach.

If I am Clark Hunt I would treat this like the Chiefs already got to the Super Bowl. (for the purpose of considering the value of his coach)

Dee Ford jumped offside but Reid and Mahomes did enough to get to a Super Bowl.

You judge a coach on what he built and what he called, not on bad luck or a moron jumping offsides.

He got 14 years in Philly. I say give him 7 more in KC.

If he has a 4-12 season then you can fire him. If he is the sole reason for missing the Super Bowl in a season then you can fire him.

He is on the trajectory to be a first ballot Hall of Fame coach.

• Like 1

Just now, Danger said:

There should be an expectation, when it comes to someone like Andy, when you have had teams as talented as he has had and gotten close oh so many times. 

He's been to 6 conference championship games, and 1 superbowl. He's anti-clutch as a coach.

I used to think "I'd rather be 2-14 than a marginal playoff team who can't get it done".

Then 07, 08, and 09 happened and I realized that it's a lot more fun when your team is at least competitive, regardless of whether or not they win a chip.

I mean, 6 conference championships seems like a great coach to me. Winning a championship is freaking hard and requires a ton of variables to go right. Maybe I just tend to underrate the "clutch" factor in sports. I just look at that as a 6 game sample size against top 3 teams (theoretically)

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

I used to think "I'd rather be 2-14 than a marginal playoff team who can't get it done".

Then 07, 08, and 09 happened and I realized that it's a lot more fun when your team is at least competitive, regardless of whether or not they win a chip.

I mean, 6 conference championships seems like a great coach to me. Winning a championship is freaking hard and requires a ton of variables to go right. Maybe I just tend to underrate the "clutch" factor in sports. I just look at that as a 6 game sample size against top 3 teams (theoretically)

Sure, but there has to come a point where you say, the guy can't get you to the end goal, and ever if it's a lower overall probability of success, you still need to roll the dice again. Andy is a dead end. If you're not winning it all, you're not continuing to improve and trend upwards, you need to look elsewhere for better or worse.

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

If I am Clark Hunt I would treat this like the Chiefs already got to the Super Bowl. (for the purpose of considering the value of his coach)

Dee Ford jumped offside but Reid and Mahomes did enough to get to a Super Bowl.

You judge a coach on what he built and what he called, not on bad luck or a moron jumping offsides.

He got 14 years in Philly. I say give him 7 more in KC.

If he has a 4-12 season then you can fire him. If he is the sole reason for missing the Super Bowl in a season then you can fire him.

He is on the trajectory to be a first ballot Hall of Fame coach.

Totally agree.

People need to remember that Chiefs fans and Eagles fans probably have very different perspectives on Reid.

Reid took a 2-14 Chiefs team (who had < 5 wins in 4 of the previous 6 years) and has gone:

11 Wins
9 Wins
11 Wins
12 Wins
10 Wins
12 Wins

(5/6 years of playoffs)

Reid deserves a lifetime of BBQ in KC as far as I'm concerned

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Was Marv Levy anti-clutch too? Or was that a bit more on Jim Kelly?

Was Don Shula anti-clutch for the last 21 years of his career?

Was Cowher anti-clutch for the first 13 years of his career?

Was Tom Landry anti-clutch for the first 10 years of his career and the last 10 years of his career?

• Was The Catch and the Danny White fumble really Landry's fault?

I get that Reid and his QB combined for a bad 4 minute drill in a Super Bowl (and he, Pederson, and Smith did something similar in New England)

• I am pretty sure the 3 McNabb picks and the LJ Smith fumble and the Dirk Johnson 29 yard punt out of his end zone had more to do with losing that Super Bowl.
    • I don't think Reid drew up any of those bad plays and called for them.
  • Andy lost a playoff game because a ref fixed the game with 2 forward progress rulings on routine fumbles (the ref was forced to retire in the offseason)
    • Was Andy anti-clutch there or was the ref?

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm not a voter, but I humbly disagree.

He's going to be 5th in wins and 6th in playoff wins (if not higher) by the end of 2021.

He is incredibly respected and has an amazing coaching tree.

He is known as a QB guru.

I doubt the voters will take your feelings into consideration but you are on the record.

Just now, SkippyX said:

He's going to be 5th in wins and 6th in playoff wins (if not higher) by the end of 2021.

He is incredibly respected and has an amazing coaching tree.

He is known as a QB guru.

I doubt the voters will take your feelings into consideration but you are on the record.

You aren't first ballot if you don't win a 'chip. He can and will get in eventually, but he never accomplished the most important thing of all. (as of this moment in time, and knowing him that won't change)

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

The thing that sticks out to me about Andy  is that a lot of those conference championship games were rematches where the Eagles won handily in the regular season (Bucs, Panthers, Cardinals). How do you blow those games lol especially the ones at home.

I love Big Red and I’m forever grateful for him turning the Eagles franchise around. But I completely agree with Danger, his teams always choke in the big games and I’ll continue to stress that until otherwise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

The thing that sticks out to me about Andy  is that a lot of those conference championship games were rematches where the Eagles won handily in the regular season (Bucs, Panthers, Cardinals). How do you blow those games lol especially the ones at home.

I love Big Red and I’m forever grateful for him turning the Eagles franchise around. But I completely agree with Danger, his teams always choke in the big games and I’ll continue to stress that until otherwise.

Its real easy.

Compare the QB play in the first game vs the playoff game. Its amazing what you will find.

39 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I remember thinking the exact same thing back in Reid's Eagles days. Dude seems like a slam dunk coach but his clock management is awful. Made me wonder why they didn't just hire someone to do that for him.

Sean Payton is the same way. Watching him close out a game is hard to watch. 

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Andy made 5 CCG during his tenure in Philly. He should have been able to seal the deal at least once. Suggesting otherwise is failing to see the forest through the trees.

1/6 in CCG seems like a small sample size to me personally, but I also respect that Philly fans probably have a different perspective than Chiefs fans.