Dolphins Fans, how do you feel about tanking for Tua?

JohnCena

I like the draft pick strategy. I don't think they are losing games on purpose anyway, the 'tanking' moniker is silly to me. It's a young team with a cleaning-house roster overhaul under a new regime, so it's perfectly normal for the team to struggle early against playoff-caliber NFL teams. The defensive and offensive schemes are new, everyone is still learning. 

It's too early for me to decide about the QB position. I want to see Rosen play more games and understand why all the NFL scouts rated him as a 1st-round QB pick. He could prove to be our QB1. Or at the end of the year the FO says 'nope, he's not it.' 

Also want to see Tua when he plays some actual college teams not the powderpuff teams. Never trust a Saban Alabama QB in the NFL. All of them have proven to be NFL busts. Every. Single. One. 

Coming up this year Tua plays:

Oct 12 at Texas A&M

Nov 9 home vs LSU

Nov 30 at Auburn

13 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I like the draft pick strategy. I don't think they are losing games on purpose anyway, the 'tanking' moniker is silly to me. It's a young team with a cleaning-house roster overhaul under a new regime, so it's perfectly normal for the team to struggle early against playoff-caliber NFL teams. The defensive and offensive schemes are new, everyone is still learning. 

It's too early for me to decide about the QB position. I want to see Rosen play more games and understand why all the NFL scouts rated him as a 1st-round QB pick. He could prove to be our QB1. Or at the end of the year the FO says 'nope, he's not it.' 

Also want to see Tua when he plays some actual college teams not the powderpuff teams. Never trust a Saban Alabama QB in the NFL. All of them have proven to be NFL busts. Every. Single. One. 

Coming up this year Tua plays:

Oct 12 at Texas A&M

Nov 9 home vs LSU

Nov 30 at Auburn

Have they though? I can't think of a single one who didn't live up to their draft status. Fact of the matter is, Alabama never had a great talent at QB before. Tagovailoa is the most talented QB that Saban has ever had, so it will be interesting to see how he transitions to the NFL. But looking at other Alabama QBs, they really aren't 'busts' - that is, they didn't preform under what their draft status.

Ignoring UDFAs because they really can't bust because they have no expectation whatsoever, here's Alabama QBs drafted after playing for Saban:

AJ McCarron - 5th round pick, Started some games for Dalton and played pretty well. Still an NFL backup QB to this day. That's about what you expect for a 5th-round QB.

Greg McElroy - 7th round pick, spent time as a backup. Nothing special but nothing expected.

Yeah, that's it. Both Alabama QBs lived up to their draft status. More will be expected from Tua but we're not talking about a program like USC that has a history of highly-touted prospects who end up busting... this is merely a school that doesn't usually recruit NFL-quality QBs. Tua is different.

Whatever they've been doing for a decade+ hasn't been working so I'm fine with the different approach. It is drastic and obviously there are no guarantees but I'd rather suffer for 2 or 3 years and significantly increase our odds at having a legit contender for the next decade than stay in this endless cycle we've been in.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

I think you  guys should trade the 1 for a kings ransom. Load up in the trenches(like get at least two young starters on the offensive line) and then go at it again for 2020 then get Lawrence 

If we improved the trenches, we'd win some games and maybe take us out of the Lawrence Sweepstakes.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, CP3MVP said:

I think you  guys should trade the 1 for a kings ransom. Load up in the trenches(like get at least two young starters on the offensive line) and then go at it again for 2020 then get Lawrence 

I couldn’t agree more. 2020 Draft has some talented OL. Draft trenches with first two picks and scout the hell out of Fromm and Eason.  Take one with Houston pick in 1st.

Fromm will check a lot of boxes

3 year starter, winner, accurate, durable and leadership.  He won’t blow the doors off the combine, but he could be very good in O’Shea offense.  

Especially if you can get a Kings Ransom for the #1 overall. (2 more 1sts and a second?) 

Problem is, there will only be a hand full of teams in the market to move up.  Cincy, Tampa, Chargers and Tennessee.  Maybe Colts depending on how Brissett plays 2019.  Everyone else is pretty set up long term.

That Pittsburg #1 is shaping up to be a top ten pick as well.  Next April will be alot of fun for Dolphin fans.  Has anyone taken notice of Justin Fields?  He might be the one if we miss out on Tua.  Jake Fromm might be a good NFL QB. 

Edited by Deadeye

11 hours ago, Deadeye said:

That Pittsburg #1 is shaping up to be a top ten pick as well.  Next April will be alot of fun for Dolphin fans.  Has anyone taken notice of Justin Fields?  He might be the one if we miss out on Tua.  Jake Fromm might be a good NFL QB. 

Fields is a 2021 prospect, like Trevor Lawrence.  

Fromm does look like he could be a Chad Pennington type game manager, but I'm being greedy and want a guy that could be a true gamechanger behind center.