Most underrated draft busts of all time.

Whodatnation1978

23 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Blackmon was a bust because of off the field stuff, kind of hard to label him that. We certainly didnt win with the pick but he couldnt overcome his demons

To be fair though, even when Blackmon wasn't a complete off-field failure...on the field, what was he really?  He was basically like, "yo i can run slants for days".  And literally nothing else.  That's not a sustainable star player sort of profile in the first place.

They picked a bad, limited WR way too high...who also had massive off the field issues that drummed him out of the league almost immediately.  That's like double fail.

For the Rams, Lawrence Phillips is pretty big and I'm not sure how frequently he is brought up. Guys who fail off the field are less noticeable I think.

Also Jason Smith in 2009. Tough time getting OT's for the Rams within the last 10 years.

Edited by LARams91

Saying the Lions took Ware over Emmitt Smith is not a great argument given we had a better RB on the roster all ready.  As for the Lions, they have had some tremendous busts that were not such as Mike "BMW" Williams.  A lot that didn't pan out but didn't have the hype of others coming in.

Others I would say that are forgotten would be Steve Emtman for the Colts.  They had the #1 and #2 pick in the draft and they took Emtman and Coryatt 1 and 2.  Coryatt had a few good years before flaming out but Emtman had a career 8 sacks and 82 tackles.  He spent three years with the Colts as the #1 overall pick and ended each year on IR.

Luke Joeckel was a huge bust.  tried him all over the line and was one of the worst LTs in the seasons he played LT.

Tony Mandrich was a bust because of steroids. Was supposed to be a once in a lifetime OL prospect and flamed out quickly and harshly.

I honestly can't even talk about Blackmon because it is so tragic. Man, what a waste. Could have easily been one of the best WRs in the league. Gordon is also pretty tragic but at least he had some limited short-term success and with Gordon you get the sense that the elevator doesn't go up to the top floor. With Blackmon it's as simple as being a pretty hopeless alcoholic....really sad.

Daniel Graham: Solid blocking tight end. But 10th overall and Ed Reed was selected 3 picks later? Bust.

Laurence Maroney: Could have had DeAngelo Williams or Maurice Jones-Drew. Heck, even Joseph Addai would have been better.

Jermaine Cunningham: Carlos Dunlap was drafted right after him.

Aaron Dobson: Travis Kelce was selected slightly after him. He certainly would have come in handy after a certain tight end got indicted for murder.

Dominique Easley: Would have been nice to have DeMarcus Lawrence on deck since Chandler Jones was traded after 2015.

Derek Rivers and Tony Garcia: One is a human souffle and the other got really sick. Still, we could have had Kareem Hunt gashing KC instead of us.

Practically every 2nd round DB drafted by us.

Edited by Elky

17 hours ago, Elky said:

Daniel Graham: Solid blocking tight end. But 10th overall and Ed Reed was selected 3 picks later? Bust.

Laurence Maroney: Could have had DeAngelo Williams or Maurice Jones-Drew. Heck, even Joseph Addai would have been better.

Jermaine Cunningham: Carlos Dunlap was drafted right after him.

Aaron Dobson: Travis Kelce was selected slightly after him. He certainly would have come in handy after a certain tight end got indicted for murder.

Dominique Easley: Would have been nice to have DeMarcus Lawrence on deck since Chandler Jones was traded after 2015.

Derek Rivers and Tony Garcia: One is a human souffle and the other got really sick. Still, we could have had Kareem Hunt gashing KC instead of us.

Practically every 2nd round DB drafted by us.

that's a nightmare list of busts

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Aaron Curry was that for me.  Great list for the others as well.  

I remember when people thought Detroit should have taken him over Stafford. Was a horrible idea even without hindsight.

The hit rates on first round QBs since 2016 have been up from past years. Most teams feel good about the guys they took in that time. 

To me, that amplifies just how bad of a pick Paxton Lynch was for the Broncos. It took them four games of football over the course of two seasons to say "Okay, we've seen enough". They tried everything possible to give Lynch the job without losing credibility in the locker room, and he was never even close. One of the worst quarterbacks I've ever seen and it's incredible that anyone could spend five minutes with that dummy and think he could ever make it as an NFL QB. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

• 4 weeks later...