Fire Gym Shorts 2k19

Danger

I have my issues with Jim but the fact that we have bad corners isn’t his fault. Playing 8 yards off WRs is his problem though. No exotic blitzes. He just drops 7 or zero blitzes. There’s not much in between. The sticks D is more vulnerable than he thinks. Doesn’t like giving obvious help to an abused corner. I could go on. But personnel isn’t his issue. 

30 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I have my issues with Jim but the fact that we have bad corners isn’t his fault. Playing 8 yards off WRs is his problem though. No exotic blitzes. He just drops 7 or zero blitzes. There’s not much in between. The sticks D is more vulnerable than he thinks. Doesn’t like giving obvious help to an abused corner. I could go on. But personnel isn’t his issue. 

I really wonder what the breakdown for average separation is for each defense in the NFL to opposing receivers. I feel like the opponents guys are all literally always wide open.

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me is how Schwartz plays the corners so far off. Any smart QB will throw slants and quick passing routes on that all day. Eli Manning stinks but he had some big games against us the last two years because he utilized the short passing game.

I get that a single-high safety look while deploying Jenkins wherever is a staple for the Shorts D. But for the love of god man teach these corners how to press/play physical. The pass rush hasn’t been great this year but they’re not far off from wrecking havoc. Cause some timing issues by playing the corners up.

Also, playing zone all game is a no-go. Any elite QB will tear that up consistently (ex: Rodgers last night, Brady in the SB, Brees last year in the playoffs).

I feel like our CBs look worse than they are cause they are in a system that doesn't at least help them a little bit. We rarely blitz, we don't give them as much safety help as most teams, and they are constantly in one on one situations against top WRs (see Davante Adams and Julio Jones). Yes, our CBs are not very good, but outside of Rasul Douglas they all look like they are just not comfortable in the rolls they are given. Also, our pass rush is pitiful so even when they have the rare chance to play a down well they eventually get beat cause we don't hit the QB.

Our run defense has been great ever since he got here and that is a very good thing, but at what cost? If we can stop the run but opposing QBs can throw for 500 yards every game does it really matter? Ultimately, I think the scheme is fine, but the lack of adaptation is the clear issue and is what makes it hard to watch every week.

Trade for Ramsey, give him 0 excuses, and if the defense doesn't improve it is time to move on.

• Like 1