Around the League Talk

titansNvolsR#1

38 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Tavon Austin is one of the worst "good" players in the league. I can't believe they paid him money to do what he does.  I think Taywan Taylor has made more plays in 2 weeks, than Austin in 3-4 Years. 

Such a terrible signing. One of the lasts thing Jeff Fisher did in his tenure there.

Speaking of Fisher, I'm glad the Rams had him and not McVay last year. He's done a 180 on Goff and that Rams offense.

Today did a great job of showing me that I actually know nothing about the NFL. Jets beating the Dolphins, Colts winning, Texans almost beating the Patriots, Redskins stomping on the Raiders, Bengals taking GB to OT in Lambeau, Bears beating the Steelers, Jags rolling and Bills beating Denver by two scores. Seriously. On a week-to-week and game-to-game basis, I just have absolutely no idea what is going to happen.

Initially wanted to create a new thread about it, but I feel like this would be a good place as any to ask the question.

I'm a non-US citizen living outside of the US, so I'm not as connected to the things going on politically and now around the league. But how do you guys feel about anything going on, and more importantly regarding the team's attitude towards it all? I haven't caught the beginning of the game as I was still on the Giants/Philly game coming to an end, but as far as I know, players walked onto the field only after the anthem. I also know Amy Adams released a statement backing up the players a couple of days ago. 

Going simply off facebook comments and reactions, what I could gather was that plenty of people are vocal about their dislike for how the players are handling the situation. I've read multiple comments from people claiming they are long-lasting fans that are giving up officially on the team (and the NFL as a whole), I've read from people claiming they have left the stadium after the anthem, and much more. However, watching the game yesterday, the place had the energy I hadn't seen in a while. They responded as the team caught on fire, and the stadium felt more alive and hyped than any other time I remember in recent years. Which is why I'm a bit confused.

Now, as far as I know, Tennessee is a red state. So I imagine if anything, people would be inclined to take Trump's side on the issue. But what I want to ask is, not only do you guys feel the players are in the wrong, for protesting in the first place or simply for the way in which they choose to do so, but rather whether or not your feelings are strong enough to even consider boycotting the team in particular, or even the NFL in general.

6 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Initially wanted to create a new thread about it, but I feel like this would be a good place as any to ask the question.

I'm a non-US citizen living outside of the US, so I'm not as connected to the things going on politically and now around the league. But how do you guys feel about anything going on, and more importantly regarding the team's attitude towards it all? I haven't caught the beginning of the game as I was still on the Giants/Philly game coming to an end, but as far as I know, players walked onto the field only after the anthem. I also know Amy Adams released a statement backing up the players a couple of days ago. 

Going simply off facebook comments and reactions, what I could gather was that plenty of people are vocal about their dislike for how the players are handling the situation. I've read multiple comments from people claiming they are long-lasting fans that are giving up officially on the team (and the NFL as a whole), I've read from people claiming they have left the stadium after the anthem, and much more. However, watching the game yesterday, the place had the energy I hadn't seen in a while. They responded as the team caught on fire, and the stadium felt more alive and hyped than any other time I remember in recent years. Which is why I'm a bit confused.

Now, as far as I know, Tennessee is a red state. So I imagine if anything, people would be inclined to take Trump's side on the issue. But what I want to ask is, not only do you guys feel the players are in the wrong, for protesting in the first place or simply for the way in which they choose to do so, but rather whether or not your feelings are strong enough to even consider boycotting the team in particular, or even the NFL in general.

Due to forum rules, we try to stay away from politics. And this is a subject that's virtually impossible to discuss without branching directly into politics.

I'll just say this and stick to football with it. I have real doubts that any of the teams feel much of an impact from the "fans" that claim to be abandoning football/the Titans. Those that passionately care about the league and love football aren't going to stop watching because of anything that takes place in the pregame. Some will talk a big game but will be back and tuning in next Sunday.

With that said, we should avoid this topic. There's going to be a ton of discussion on the subject elsewhere, but as it's more of a political than football issue (as a general rule, once the POTUS comments on something it instantly becomes political), so we try to stick to football and away from politics on FF. I think for fairly understandable reasons. This (and politics in general) is an incredibly divisive issue that is only going to lead to arguments and fights.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Also, as a Titans fans, I've seen some terrible penalties in my day. This is legitimately the worst 15-yard penalty I've ever seen at any level of football. Good lord.

Doesn't Von do that all the time LOL? Crazy he got flagged for that.

1 minute ago, VY-FTW said:

Doesn't Von do that all the time LOL? Crazy he got flagged for that.

He's legitimately friends with Tyrod. You can see Taylor and Miller both laughing immediately after as the ref begins to reach for his flag. I just don't know how you can possibly call that a penalty.

What makes it even worse is that was on an incomplete pass on 3rd down. With the Bills out of FG range. That drive then ended with three points, that gave the Bills a 10-point lead and essentially ended the game.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

He's legitimately friends with Tyrod. You can see Taylor and Miller both laughing immediately after as the ref begins to reach for his flag. I just don't know how you can possibly call that a penalty.

What makes it even worse is that was on an incomplete pass on 3rd down. With the Bills out of FG range. That drive then ended with three points, that gave the Bills a 10-point lead and essentially ended the game.

Yeah I saw a tweet quoting him saying he cost them the game with a penalty but THAT WAS THE PLAY HE WAS TALKING ABOUT? Damn... Crazy

49 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Due to forum rules, we try to stay away from politics. And this is a subject that's virtually impossible to discuss without branching directly into politics.

I'll just say this and stick to football with it. I have real doubts that any of the teams feel much of an impact from the "fans" that claim to be abandoning football/the Titans. Those that passionately care about the league and love football aren't going to stop watching because of anything that takes place in the pregame. Some will talk a big game but will be back and tuning in next Sunday.

With that said, we should avoid this topic. There's going to be a ton of discussion on the subject elsewhere, but as it's more of a political than football issue (as a general rule, once the POTUS comments on something it instantly becomes political), so we try to stick to football and away from politics on FF. I think for fairly understandable reasons. This (and politics in general) is an incredibly divisive issue that is only going to lead to arguments and fights.

Oh, I see and I understand.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

That might be the worst penalty call I have seen in any game ever, especially given the friendship between Taylor and Miller. It would be one thing if the 2 did not like each other and it had been evident throughout the game, but the opposite was true. They were joking around with each other the entire game. For that to be called a penalty in that situation was such a terrible call and it really did have an impact on the game. Not saying Denver wins if the call doesn't happen, they hadn't been doing much offensively anyways, but it certainly changed their chances to win.

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I have real doubts that any of the teams feel much of an impact from the "fans" that claim to be abandoning football/the Titans. Those that passionately care about the league and love football aren't going to stop watching because of anything that takes place in the pregame. Some will talk a big game but will be back and tuning in next Sunday.

You hit this on the head 100%.  The NFL collectively spends millions of dollars on market research... and while even the best projections can go astray, I'm sure they feel pretty comfortable with their research on the subject... fully aware that some people will indeed be alienated.  

I wrote a paper a few years back on the possible demise of the NFL (in a management class, not a poli-sci class).  Ratings and especially attendance were already starting to come down a bit at that time, and there were many factors that were at play (this was before any kneeling came to the forefront).  

Ratings have taken a bigger dip in the past couple of years since I wrote that paper, and even without putting the hours of research and stats analysis to more fully support,  I have no doubt that the biggest factor at play are Kodi and other more easily accessible streaming options that have become more mainstream the past couple of years.  Now that's just ratings, but they also probably have some sort of idea how many people are streaming illegally.... and while that may affect negotiations with DTV next time that exclusive Sunday Ticket contract comes up... advertisers on CBS/Fox can still sell advertisements based on "ratings" to include official viewers and illegal streamers.  

Related image

those saying they not watching again.....

This is the greatest sport and this forum has some of the best fans around. :)

Ratings dip because of cord cutters also. If you look around TV in general, you'll find all programs are seeing their ratings dip. 
CD sales are almost non-existent but people still listen to music daily. People are consuming their entertainment in different fashions now a days. 

TitanUP

We've discussed both Kline and Spain on other threads.. they're both FA's... how much are they worth.. etc.  I've staunchly stated that while continuity is good, ultimately both are average and we shouldn't break the bank for either.  

And while this doesn't change my opinion of breaking the bank, I trust that JRob will look to match reasonable offers to one or both... so something similar to what's happening early this season in Dallas doesn't happen to us.

From NFL.com writer James Koh

Here's the thing, when it comes to beating defenders, Zeke is putting up similar numbers this year versus last year. His yards after contact numbers are very similar this year versus last year... 

Despite still having three Pro Bowlers in Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, the losses of Ronald Leary (free agency to Denver) and Doug Free (retired) are having a big impact.

When you add up this hidden yardage it's a difference of about 1.58 yards per carry. The difference between his yards per carry this year (3.5) and last year (5.1)? About 1.6 yards per carry.

The penetration defenses are getting up front has also led to an increased percentage of negative runs going from about 8 percent in 2016 jumping to more than 11 percent in 2017 with league average at 10.7 percent last year. So again, Zeke is going from significantly better than league average to worse than league average.

There's obviously other things at play... and they should improve as the season wears on (as will the raw stats once the Denver game is minimized)... but it's  certainly an interesting perspective and something to think about.  

Another reason you don't want to break this line up is age. Lewan is 26, Spain is 26, Jones is 28, Kline is 27, Conklin is 23. If you keep this line together, you're looking at least a good 5-7 years(assuming they stay consistent, no reason to believe they won't) of great offensive line play. None of these guys have shown any serious injury issues, either.

It's going to require a ton of money in to the offensive line, but with the style of play Mularkey likes, I don't see why we wouldn't put a ton of money in to it. We've already locked in our swing tackle in Kelly in for 3 years. And that 5-7 years also should match up with a lot of Mariota's prime.

I'm not sure how long Schwenke was signed for, don't see any details on it, however should we have to let one of Spain or Kline go, Schwenke was solid in replacement of Spain at LG and would probably keep our line from taking too big of a hit in losing one of the guards. That being said, him becoming a starter obviously hurts the depth.

If one walks it sucks but we can manage it. If both walk I'd be extremely disappointed. I would like this next free agency and draft to be focused almost solely on improving the defense. The offense has everything it needs for the foreseeable future. Lets not create a giant hole we have to patch on the interior of our o-line and take potential draft resources away from our defense.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we became a team now that pretty much spends nothing in FA on outside players, only bringing in role players/depth guys, and the majority of our cap space going to guys already on the team and draft picks. Robinson has already proven to me he knows how to draft at an extremely high level. I can't wait to see what he does to our defense when it has his full focus now that the offense is good to go.

Archived