Edge Rushers 2020

mwalker

9 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Of course... mediocre gets rewarded here lately.  But, I cannot let that bring me down.

it will bring me down, to the off button.  I don't think I will accept the FO signing dupree to a long term deal unless he really earns it. He has robbed them quite a bit already,  but to think of others lately, he isn't alone. 

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I still think he will get a new contract out of desperation.

When Burns, Davis, Hargrave & Matakevich are gone in the offseason, do you realize there wont be a single player on our roster from the 2016 draft...

Based on last night, he will be the highest paid OLB in history.

All jokes aside, I think we need to resign Hargrave for sure.  We cannot let him walk.  I'd love to keep Davis as well as a 3rd safety/box guy... but Hargrave should be a priority.  With the age of Heyward and Tuitt, we have to resign him.

Plus, I can't completely burn down the 2016 draft.

7 minutes ago, kurgan said:

but Hargrave should be a priority.  With the age of Heyward and Tuitt, we have to resign him.

I'm going to offer a hot take here:

Heyward should take a pay cut or be traded/released and Hargrave retained and slid over if Heyward isn't a Steeler.  Heyward can still play at a high level, but he isn't worth the pricetag anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

I'm going to offer a hot take here:

Heyward should take a pay cut or be traded/released and Hargrave retained and slid over if Heyward isn't a Steeler.  Heyward can still play at a high level, but he isn't worth the pricetag anymore.

If I am being completely honest, I agree.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

If I am being completely honest, I agree.

I just looked it up to be sure and his cap hit is $13.2million next year.  Like I said, I love Cam and still think he has a lot to give, but that hit needs to be in the $6-8mil range for what he gives us.  Pay Hargrave about $10mil, and rotate him in more at the DE/DT spot.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I just looked it up to be sure and his cap hit is $13.2million next year.  Like I said, I love Cam and still think he has a lot to give, but that hit needs to be in the $6-8mil range for what he gives us.  Pay Hargrave about $10mil, and rotate him in more at the DE/DT spot.

Amen. I will be honest, its why I feel the way I do about AV. Granted he is only making about $9M a year, he doesnt play with that kind of quality. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I like this idea... I am not sure that Gravedigger is going to command 10mil, but I see your point.  In my mind, he is a must resign.  Of all of the FA, he is the biggest need I see.

Im mixed on Dupree.  If we can get him for the right price, yea.  But, if he costs a lot, a vet starter that will yield to the edge we draft is the way to go.

17 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I like this idea... I am not sure that Gravedigger is going to command 10mil, but I see your point.  In my mind, he is a must resign.  Of all of the FA, he is the biggest need I see.

Im mixed on Dupree.  If we can get him for the right price, yea.  But, if he costs a lot, a vet starter that will yield to the edge we draft is the way to go.

I think he'll absolutely get 10 as a FA. Check our Grady Jarrett's new deal and then check their collective stats. Hargrave is going to get PAID.

I agree with @warfelg, I'd be ok with asking Heyward to take a paycut. He gets outplayed by Hargrave most of the time. 

So, just looked on spotrac, and here is an interesting comparison...

4 games, 212 snaps (78%), 2 sacks, 20 tackles, 1 FF  (Grady Jarrett—15.5 per year)

4 games, 100 snaps (40%), 1 sack, 11 tackles (Danny Shelton—MV @ 5.6)

4 games, 138 snaps (47%), 1 sack, 9 tackles (Jovan Hargrave--???)

Soooo, it seems to me to be usage at the end of the day.  But, even with more PT, Hargrave doesn't have the production as Shelton.  The year before he signed his big deal, Jarrett went 

14, 710 (74%), 6, 52 and 3.  So, roughly the same production.

All, this being said (and I know this is off topic), looks like it will come down to snaps.  I'd be all about signing him to 10-11 a year IF we play him even 55-60% of the snaps.  But, if he stays at 45-50, I'd be less inclined to pay that bill.  I love @warfelg s idea of asking Heyward to take a paycut, but I don't see how that is even possible.

BUT, all things being equal.... if Kurgan was the GM, I'd find a way to pay Hargrave.  He is the present and future, and we cannot afford to make more holes in our defense.  Cut whomever, resturcture whomever, get it done.  AND, I would play him more than the 47% he gets now.  Understanding that he can spell Heyward and Tuitt.  That would be his challenge.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Extend, restructure, add a little new money.

I could 100% see that happening.  He is going into his last year next year.  I didn't realize he was so close to expiring.

Save that money, with the Barron, Moncreif and Chick cutting to extend Hargrave.

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

agree, BB would make the trade and keep Hargrave. Tuitt is better at this stage, but Hyeward is still a top tier player. How about keeping all 3, and letting dupree go and sign Shaq?

On 10/2/2019 at 5:07 AM, 3rivers said:

agree, BB would make the trade and keep Hargrave. Tuitt is better at this stage, but Hyeward is still a top tier player. How about keeping all 3, and letting dupree go and sign Shaq?

If that gets it done, that is awesome.  I'd to that exact plan, and draft our future edge in round 2.  Shaq can play on a 2year backloaded and keep the seat warm for the draftee.