Dola diagnosed w/ concussion - Week to week

Deadpulse

On 9/10/2017 at 5:27 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Same. We all say "preseason means nothing" or words to those effect, yet somehow letting go of Carr, because of what he did in the PS, is some maniacal move? That's called hype, and it is to be avoided 9_9 

1) I've never said that tbf. Preseason is highly meaningful if you know what to look for. 

2) Julian Edelman was also a nobody.

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

1) I've never said that tbf. Preseason is highly meaningful if you know what to look for. 

2) Julian Edelman was also a nobody.

1. I'd guess Belichick knows what to look for. How many young guys has he cut in camp that have been useful in the NFL? Lee Smith? Ted Larsen? That's about it. And the former they tried to get to the PS, the latter was awful in camp. His judgment on young players is superb.

2. Edelman was also a raw QB convert who showed enough to make the 53 man roster. Not really a similar situation. The Pats have literally had a dozen Carr types over the years who flash in camp and don't stick. 

19 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

1. I'd guess Belichick knows what to look for. How many young guys has he cut in camp that have been useful in the NFL? Lee Smith? Ted Larsen? That's about it. And the former they tried to get to the PS, the latter was awful in camp. His judgment on young players is superb.

2. Edelman was also a raw QB convert who showed enough to make the 53 man roster. Not really a similar situation. The Pats have literally had a dozen Carr types over the years who flash in camp and don't stick. 

Lets not pretend its a binary decision, like either the guy makes the roster or he's a bum.  By all accounts Carr was one of the guys on the bubble.  There just wasn't a spot.  He showed a lot in camp and preseason.  Obviously hindsight is 20-20 - if Bill knew Mitchell was going to IR and Amendola would get concussed in week 1, my guess is Carr would've made the team tbh.

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

1. Jeremy Mincey became a good player for the Jags/Cowboys - but I agree with your general point.

2. Again agree. In fact making the roster at WR in 2009 was much, much easier. If Edelman was a UDFA rookie this year he might not have made it. Nobody could have foreseen the bad luck at WR they have had.

Archived