Chiefs VS Lions Takeaways

Just Want A Title

This was a crazy game.  The Chiefs may have hung 34 points on our defense but they played fairly well.  That said:

1.  We need some serious work on our pass rush.  We get pressure but don't get enough sacks.  Which brings me to my next point

2.  Why doesn't Deveon Kenard get more consistent playing time?

3.  The whole leaping thing needs to stop for the sake of the players safety.  TJ Hockenson found out the hard way that  the NFL isn't the NCAA.

4.  The running game finally broke loose for some chunk plays.  Kerryon Johnson had a good day but that goal-line fumble was a real dagger in the heart.  J.D. McKissic is making some really good plays.  Ty Johnson was 

5.  Rick Wagner was not good today.  We have some significant re-tooling to do with our OTs in the off-season

6.  Special Teams play is really coming together.  Its good to see after such a shaky start

7.  Our defense played OK at the end of the game but we couldn't get a sack when we really needed one.  That needs to change.

8.  Chris Jones was all over the field today.  The Chiefs are having a hard time getting a long-term extension done.  Trade for him, Sign him in Free Agency, Whatever.  Just get him in a Lions Uniform.

9.  This version of the Lions might be the most mentally tough team we have had in a long time.  That is great to see.

10.  Stafford may not be flashy but he is playing some really good football.  His accuracy seems to have improved and he is doing a better job of hitting receivers in-stride.

10.  Stafford's injuries could be a concern.  Finding a legitimate replacement in next year's draft might be a priority.

11.  A'Shawn Robinson had a really good game.  He is finally pressuring the pocket regularly even though he isn't getting any sacks.  Its good to see.

Thoughts?

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

I think your last point really hits home on the fact the lions are getting a lot of pressure it just isn’t turning into the flashy sack statistic. Mahomes through a tone of balls away this game to avoid sacks. 

So so just because it’s not showing up on the stat sheet doesn’t mean we aren’t getting after the QB. 

38 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Yeah By Scratching there way into two win's..not trying to hate so much but these's guy need to beat team like the Kansas City Chief or I don't think we are very much contenders this season. 

Frankly, you’re being silly. 

You’ve done nothing but rip on these guys and they played a heck of a game. Good teams lose football games you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

This was a crazy game.  The Chiefs may have hung 34 points on our defense but they played fairly well.  That said:

1.  We need some serious work on our pass rush.  We get pressure but don't get enough sacks.  Which brings me to my next point

3.  The whole leaping thing needs to stop for the sake of the players safety.  TJ Hockenson found out the hard way that  the NFL isn't the NCAA.

4.  The running game finally broke loose for some chunk plays.  Kerryon Johnson had a good day but that goal-line fumble was a real dagger in the heart.  J.D. McKissic is making some really good plays.  Ty Johnson was 

5.  Rick Wagner was not good today.  We have some significant re-tooling to do with our OTs in the off-season

6.  Special Teams play is really coming together.  Its good to see after such a shaky start

7.  Our defense played OK at the end of the game but we couldn't get a sack when we really needed one.  That needs to change.

8.  Chris Jones was all over the field today.  The Chiefs are having a hard time getting a long-term extension done.  Trade for him, Sign him in Free Agency, Whatever.  Just get him in a Lions Uniform.

9.  This version of the Lions might be the most mentally tough team we have had in a long time.  That is great to see.

10.  Stafford may not be flashy but he is playing some really good football.  His accuracy seems to have improved and he is doing a better job of hitting receivers in-stride.

10.  Stafford's injuries could be a concern.  Finding a legitimate replacement in next year's draft might be a priority.

11.  A'Shawn Robinson had a really good game.  He is finally pressuring the pocket regularly even though he isn't getting any sacks.  Its good to see.

Thoughts?

1. The lack of sacks is because of scheme. They consistently got pressure rushing 3 players. I would like to see more blitz’s but again, that’s scheme. They held Mahomes to a 57% completion percentage, well below his season and career averages and no TD passed.

4. The goal line fumble was one thing but didn’t have to be a dagger. The Lions didn’t play to the whistle and it cost them.

5. The oline is coming together. I thought they played well enough to win the game.

9. We are seeing the benefits of the type of players Patricia and Quinn are bringing in.

10. I agree. The hits are taking a toll. He played injured last year and his back is flaring up again. It’s time to draft his eventual replacement in the next few years.

This game hinged on three plays.

a) The Golladay TD not a TD. Does anyone know what a TD catch is now?

b) The goal line fumble where the Lions quit the play before the whistle.

c) At about 2:09 they lost contain on Mahomes. Stop him and it’s game over.

Before this game I thought the Lions would win because I’m seeing good things from every position grouping. I thought this might be the week all groups got together. Close but no cigar.

I’m very pleased with the teams progress and based on the first 4 games I think that a playoff appearance is likely. 

My main concern right now is game management and the depleted secondary.

• Like 1

For the first time I can actually say they are close, they went up against the best QB in the NFL on the team pick to win the Super Bowl and had them beat till the last min. I don't want to hear they blew it because they weren't the ones that over turned the TD they were not the ones that called a fumble that then was returned for TD that to be 100% no one could tell if Johnson was even not down when he fumble no way you could even see his lower body on that play. It was called TD so it stood that way, yet the TD catch was over turn 3 people watching it and calling 2 said it was 1 said it wasn't they over turned the call on the field sorry but its suppose to be clear and undisputed when the guys watching don't agree either way you should stay with call on the field yet they never do. CLEAR AND UNDISPUTED seems not to matter to the NFL when they over turn something they just decided it.

We played the Chiefs better then anyone else has since the NFL has CROWN the NEW KING OF QB KUDOS to DETROIT we are a few players away, now is the time to trade for Ramsey this game proved it that's how close they are to beaten the CHIEFS maybe they only needed SLAY out there today!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

1. The lack of sacks is because of scheme. They consistently got pressure rushing 3 players. I would like to see more blitz’s but again, that’s scheme. They held Mahomes to a 57% completion percentage, well below his season and career averages and no TD passed.

4. The goal line fumble was one thing but didn’t have to be a dagger. The Lions didn’t play to the whistle and it cost them.

5. The oline is coming together. I thought they played well enough to win the game.

9. We are seeing the benefits of the type of players Patricia and Quinn are bringing in.

10. I agree. The hits are taking a toll. He played injured last year and his back is flaring up again. It’s time to draft his eventual replacement in the next few years.

This game hinged on three plays.

a) The Golladay TD not a TD. Does anyone know what a TD catch is now?

b) The goal line fumble where the Lions quit the play before the whistle.

c) At about 2:09 they lost contain on Mahomes. Stop him and it’s game over.

Before this game I thought the Lions would win because I’m seeing good things from every position grouping. I thought this might be the week all groups got together. Close but no cigar.

I’m very pleased with the teams progress and based on the first 4 games I think that a playoff appearance is likely. 

My main concern right now is game management and the depleted secondary.

There's practically nothing of dispute here. All solid points and exactly my thinking.

This is a team that is going to make some noise and play teams hard. However, you can see that they are still a work in progress. With the way that the Bears and Vikings offenses are struggling and an inconsistent Packers team, there is a good chance that the Lions have a shot at the Wildcard or possibly win the division in a close battle. I still think the Packers should be viewed as the favourite with Rodgers and an improved defense. I don't see us as the last place team in the division like all of the pundits were calling for before the season started.

17 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Thoughts?

1) As DHLF put it, this is a scheme issue... but I do agree that I'd like to see them up the blitz numbers a bit more and increase the sack totals. It's not really a matter of a numbers game but a QB on the ground that has been hit and banged up is less likely to make some of the plays Mahomes was able to with the play extended.

3) 100%. Hockenson has gotten lucky on a couple of these up until this point. He's trying to make a big play but it's only going to lead to more and more injuries down the road

8) The Chiefs already have issues on defense and are a team looking to make the next step. I doubt they'll be trading him at any point over the season.

9) This Lions team has been building up. Each week you can see them getting better and better, correcting problems from the weeks before and becoming a more complete team. There is still a ways to go and I think we'll be looking at next year to see this rebuild really show itself. However, they are showing us what kind of team they want to be and are becoming. There is a lot of promise showing, at least so far.

10) Stafford was severely injured and played through a hip injury. He was aggressive on his throws and made plays downfield but with very few mental mistakes. This offense is really coming together. Bevell is looking to be the best off-season acquisition yet.

10b) There's a few guys that are expected to be coming up in the draft that could help be our guy. However, as long as Stafford is going to get on the field and play like that the team is not going to invest a lot of resources into bringing in another guy. They'll surround Stafford with more pieces and ride with him as long as he performs like he has.

11) A'Shawn wants to get paid. It's good to see. I just wonder if we'll be able to get anything out of him, assuming he doesn't come back.

14 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Just wanted to stop by and say the Lions are legit.

Played a crazy game still cant believe the Chiefs won.

Not giving you guys a consolation but i got a lot of respect.

Thanks dude. It was a really good game to watch. Its nice to see the Lions playing in games like that as opposed to Miami/Washington-esque type games.

What are your thoughts on the Golladay non-TD call? Do you think that was the right call or the Chiefs got a lucky call from the refs?

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Thanks dude. It was a really good game to watch. Its nice to see the Lions playing in games like that as opposed to Miami/Washington-esque type games.

What are your thoughts on the Golladay non-TD call? Do you think that was the right call or the Chiefs got a lucky call from the refs?

Yeah i was impressed but i had a feeling it would be a close one you guys have been giant slayers lately.

Make teams play their worst and are really resilient.

As far as that TD, He juggled it all the way to the ground man. I wouldnt have given the Chiefs the TD either.

Edited by Chiefer

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He juggled it all the way to the ground man. I wouldnt have given the Chiefs the TD either.

I've been re-watching it to get a better look at it. I feel like the last part where it jets out towards his right hip at the end was the deciding factor in turning it over. They did rule it as a touchdown, so you need clear and obvious evidence to overturn it. That feels like a call the Patriots or Chiefs would get in their favour.