SNF Week 4 - Cowboys @ Saints

Dome

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Wrong. 

Nobody is giving excuses. 

Their both holding, but the Saints is more visible because the spacing in their bodies. Smith is closer to his guy, a little more compact in the hold.

Don’t think I was that wrong. The Saints shut down Elliott and the Cowboys offense became impotent. Dak is a solid QB...but they’re in trouble if he is the headliner. 

6 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Don’t think I was that wrong. The Saints shut down Elliott and the Cowboys offense became impotent. Dak is a solid QB...but they’re in trouble if he is the headliner. 

Our offense struggled because we tried to force the issue with Zeke. If we put the game in Daks hands earlier, we win. It was a terrible game plan. Our team lives and dies by Dak. Weve won 90%+ of games he has an ANY/A of 6+. 97%+ when he has an ANY/A of 8. 

35 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Our offense struggled because we tried to force the issue with Zeke. If we put the game in Daks hands earlier, we win. It was a terrible game plan. Our team lives and dies by Dak. Weve won 90%+ of games he has an ANY/A of 6+. 97%+ when he has an ANY/A of 8. 

But is it the chicken or the egg? The Cowboys couldn’t throw downfield because the Saints didn’t respect the run and therefore play action was useless. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

He actually believes Dak could have carried them to a win. Wow. I’ve seen it all.

@Dangercome get your man.’

It's a good question. What was the quarter by quarter breakdown of carries for Zeke?

I don't see why they'd bite on play action last night though, they were handling Zeke well enough.

20 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry just doesn't have the same Zing as the Empty Trophy case anymore, try again!🍺 

I'd say go rewatch your last SB but I'm not sure you'd be able to find a working VHS Player to use? 📼📹📺

He has to wallow in the muck that is the post Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

• Jerrah has built a whole lot of nothing and Dak is the trailer sitting on top of that nothing.
  • January 1996 is literally over a generation ago.
    • It is the same exact thing as the Jets or Chiefs winning a Super Bowl at this point.
  • The Jets are a far better franchise than the Cowboys since 1996  (3 Conference Championship games to none)
    • They were 1-15 with Kotite when the joke franchise in Dallas last won and now they are a relevant team compared to that sad squad.
  • The Ravens did not exist the last time the Cowboys even made a final 4.
    • They have 3 Hall of Famers and 2 Super Bowls already. xD
  • Belichick was still coaching in Cleveland the last time they won!
  • The Rams have represented 2 different cities in the Super Bowl since the last time the losers with stars on their helmet have been to an NFCCG.
  • About 100 million people have been born in the US since the Cowboys last played in an NFCCG.

This is fun stuff!

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

But is it the chicken or the egg? The Cowboys couldn’t throw downfield because the Saints didn’t respect the run and therefore play action was useless. 

6 hours ago, Danger said:

It's a good question. What was the quarter by quarter breakdown of carries for Zeke?

I don't see why they'd bite on play action last night though, they were handling Zeke well enough.

Man these old 'Wives tales' need to die. 

After measuring this every way I could think if, it appears that the conventional wisdom that running is necessary for play-action passes to be effective should be questioned. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing

The NFL is becoming a passing league more and more but there is still a large contingent of coaches who believe in the value of “establishing the run.” In theory, there are a handful of benefits provided by committing to the run game: helping out the defense by controlling the ball, wearing down the opposing defense with “body blows” and, of course, setting up the play-action passing game.

That last one has been thoroughly debunked by stat nerds. There’s already plenty of evidence out there proving there’s no relationship between running success and play-action pass success, but here’s some more: 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/nfl-establish-the-run-play-action-pass-stats

Second, coaches appear to believe that rushing more often helps set up play-action: teams that run more often use play-action more often.

Third, despite the above, there is no relationship between how often a given team has actually run -- whether over the course of a season or recently in a game -- and the effectiveness of their play-action attack. In other words, the threat of rushing is sufficient to set up play-action; teams don't actually need to run first before taking advantage of it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/play-action-passing-and-game-conditions

We have an ever-growing body of evidence that teams don't need to run often -- or run well -- to set up play-action. Play-action works for teams that run frequently, infrequently, well, or poorly. For the vast majority of teams, it just works.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

^^^^^^^^^^ All this ties into my overarching point about Dak/Moore and the game. For the first 3 games of this year the Cowboys have doubled their play action passing. And Dak's stats/performance reflected that. 

Against the Saints we only ran play action 7 times. 6 completions for like 100 yards. It was just very poor game planning to not go back to that. 

Eagles fans should know about this. They called play action 50% of the time during their superbowl run. 

Edited by Matts4313

34 minutes ago, SkippyX said:
20 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry just doesn't have the same Zing as the Empty Trophy case anymore, try again!🍺 

I'd say go rewatch your last SB but I'm not sure you'd be able to find a working VHS Player to use? 📼📹📺

He has to wallow in the muck that is the post Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

• Jerrah has built a whole lot of nothing and Dak is the trailer sitting on top of that nothing.
  • January 1996 is literally over a generation ago.
    • It is the same exact thing as the Jets or Chiefs winning a Super Bowl at this point.
  • The Jets are a far better franchise than the Cowboys since 1996  (3 Conference Championship games to none)
    • They were 1-15 with Kotite when the joke franchise in Dallas last won and now they are a relevant team compared to that sad squad.
  • The Ravens did not exist the last time the Cowboys even made a final 4.
    • They have 3 Hall of Famers and 2 Super Bowls already. xD
  • Belichick was still coaching in Cleveland the last time they won!
  • The Rams have represented 2 different cities in the Super Bowl since the last time the losers with stars on their helmet have been to an NFCCG.
  • About 100 million people have been born in the US since the Cowboys last played in an NFCCG.

This is fun stuff!

If were going to make fun of old things, can we also make fun of Grandpa-Nabbs? Dude bringing up VCRs. Newsflash: Youtube is a thing: