Shaq Barrett - Is he human?

Dome

Denver fans knew he was at least a capable starter. Never knew he could play this good, but he was always worthy of being resigned and handed a starters snap count. And he went to CSU, having local ties and wanting to stay in Denver.

He should have been seen as the future pairing w/ Von Miller. Allowing Denver to make that Buffalo trade (#5 for #12/22/R2) and replenish the cupboard. Chubb is good, but not elite.

12 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I wanna hear from Broncos fans.

Before this season ever even started, you would've had your work cut out for you trying to find one Broncos fan who did not love Shaq since the day he first got meaningful NFL snaps. He was undrafted. Came up from the practice squad. He was brought up behind Ware and Miller and was essential edge depth in the 2015 Super Bowl run. That guy was the reason I picked up the Broncos defense that year and I won the entire fantasy league in no small part due to that.

Is it bittersweet watching him in respect to our current woes? Yes. But I love the fact that he is dominating now that he has what he was always competing for past the ring that he has on his finger - which is that starting spot. Looks like he is not going to let that spot go.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

He was a stud here that they didn’t give enough opportunity to. Should have been starting over Shane Ray. Could have started him last year and drafted a QB instead of Chubb. But it is what it is. 

Shaq has always been good as a rotational player and actually played a lot over Ray. He was 3rd in line behind Von/Ware and Von/Chubb. The Broncos tried to retain him but after serving as a rotational backup to Von, he wanted to go somewhere to be the starter (I dont blame him). With Chubb/Von being on the team there was just no room for him to fulfill his desire to be a starter.

Dont get me wrong---Shaq was good as a Bronco but he was nothing like what he is now. He played a lot of snaps in Denver and was never as dominant as he is this season and it wasnt for lack of opportunity. He just seems way more explosive this year with a more lean body type than before.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Denver fans knew he was at least a capable starter. Never knew he could play this good, but he was always worthy of being resigned and handed a starters snap count. And he went to CSU, having local ties and wanting to stay in Denver.

He should have been seen as the future pairing w/ Von Miller. Allowing Denver to make that Buffalo trade (#5 for #12/22/R2) and replenish the cupboard. Chubb is good, but not elite.

THIS. To me, Chubb was a really good player that should be drafted in the middle-to-late first round. I just never saw him as a top 5, ELITE player. I know he was elite at NCST and had a bajillion TFL, but I just didn't see him having the bend to be an exceptional pass rusher in the NFL. He's like a rich man's Robert Ayers. 

It was a huge miss not trading that pick and re-signing shack to a contract at $6-8MM per year, and Tampa is seeing the kind of player he can be with full-time reps.