Post Vikings Game Thread

dll2000

Just now, topwop1 said:

Ok good because it's actually pretty pathetic that a lot of meatballs are coming out and saying that Chase is a better starting QB for this team.

He sees the field better and uses his eyes better, but he is so physically limited that he cannot be a long term starting option.

Lets get someone else developing alongside Mitch. I am not really interested in pinning all our hopes on a guy who is so inconsistent and has not failed to play 16 games in back to back seasons.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I think 16 points is dog crap, but to be fair they mostly tried to run clock offensively and defensively in 2nd half especially the whole 4th quarter.  

It was a mass prevent.  

Oh no doubt Nagy wanted to shorten the game and ran even tho it wasnt working well, but Daniel did NOTHING to extend the drives that would have prevented giving the ball back to the Vikings and helped the defense preserve the shutout

Just now, topwop1 said:

Ok but do you believe that Chase is actually a better QB than Mitch and that they are treated fairly when compared to one another?

I'll give you my opinion.

Chase is noodle armed and unathletic as an NFL qb gets.  But he is extremely football intelligent.  

MT has a strong arm and is very athletic, but is not football smart at all.  

I think our Online is largely responsible for the horrid performance of first 2 weeks and was still horrible in week 3.   I think QB (MT) did a lot of bad things, but a lot of that is domino effect from bad o line play effecting everything else. 

MT had nothing like what Chase did on Sunday to date and Chase still did not score much.

I think over any 3 game period MT is the far better option.  

• Like 1

The QB competition is for after the season.

But based on the evidence we have the Bears should not pay Mitch and they should stay cheap at the position while paying the defense that is carrying them.

In 2019, they need to hope Mitch gets hot at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

I've been on board the "draft a QB every year steategy" for a while, not specifically for competition but to create a QB development culture where other teams always want your backups and give up picks tonget them.  A la the Packers and Eagles of the 90s and 2000s.

Its a sound strategy. We need to keep drafting every year or every other year. 

8 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've been on board the "draft a QB every year steategy" for a while, not specifically for competition but to create a QB development culture where other teams always want your backups and give up picks tonget them.  A la the Packers and Eagles of the 90s and 2000s.

But if you draft a real one you have legit options,

If Mitch plays lights out in 2020: pay him and trade Burrow.
If Mitch plays mediocre, do not pay him and you have Burrow developed for a year.
If MItch sucks, you do not waste 2020 on him and you get Burrow some experience.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The QB competition is for after the season.

But based on the evidence we have the Bears should not pay Mitch and they should stay cheap at the position while paying the defense that is carrying them.

In 2019, they need to hope Mitch gets hot at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

never mind

Edited by dll2000

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But if you draft a real one you have legit options,

If Mitch plays lights out in 2020: pay him and trade Burrow.
If Mitch plays mediocre, do not pay him and you have Burrow developed for a year.
If MItch sucks, you do not waste 2020 on him and you get Burrow some experience.

2019 is only 4 games in bud.  I'm not concerned about 2020 yet.  But either way they are going to have to guarantee his 5th year after this season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

2019 is only 4 games in bud.  I'm not concerned about 2020 yet.  But either way they are going to have to guarantee his 5th year after this season.

If NFL had a farm league for U25 players dearth of QBs wouldn't be such a problem.

18-21 (doesn't work to develop late bloomers or guys that had grade problems etc.) and QBs need 3 years of actual playing and reading defenses within passing concepts and not just running every other play and throwing wide open passes.  

If they aren't first round draft picks they don't usually get the time and practice reps to get good.

They need a 21 - 25 league.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Why?

Procedurally they may because it is a fake guarantee. But paying him 25 million for a season is an egregious over pay that will cost you defensive talent.

Don’t pay mediocre QBs. Get a young guy on a cheap deal.

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If NFL had a farm league for U25 players dearth of QBs wouldn't be such a problem.

18-21 (doesn't work to develop late bloomers or guys that had grade problems etc.) and QBs need 3 years of actual playing and reading defenses within passing concepts and not just running every other play and throwing wide open passes.  

If they aren't first round draft picks they don't usually get the time and practice reps to get good.

They need a 21 - 25 league.  

I don’t think QB take 3 years. I think we often know much sooner.

Some guys aren’t ever going to be good at reading defenses. It doesn’t mater how much time you give them.

If I was king of NFL  I would:

21-25 Spring developmental farm league with 12 game season.  Increase draft to 15 rounds with most players going to D league other rules to keep rights to them and make it worth it.  Whatever baseball does or something similar.  

Eliminate all kicking from the game.  

Extra points could be worth 1, 2 or 3 points depending on distance.   

Widen field by 5-10 yards.

Have camps in Eastern Europe for linemen and 7 on 7 passing leagues in Caribbean Islands with best prospects going to developmental league.

I would have clear punishment rules for each personal conduct category with burden of proof on the player in all matters save rape.  You didn't do it?  Convince me.  Most matters would be warning and game check for first offense with step punishments.  Rape accusations would be set aside for one year and investigated by independent agency.  No punishment during investigation.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think QB take 3 years. I think we often know much sooner.

Some guys aren’t ever going to be good at reading defenses. It doesn’t mater how much time you give them.

Most people would need like 500-1000 live reps at each concept with each type of coverage before it starts to make sense and becomes instinct rather than a slow thought process, however you want to get that.

Some guys can do it 10 million times and never get it.  Some can do it with just learning it on paper.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Most people would need like 500-1000 live reps at each concept with each type of coverage before it starts to make sense and becomes instinct rather than a slow thought process, however you want to get that.

Some guys can do it 10 million times and never get it.  Some can do it with just learning it on paper.  

A lot of concepts overlap.  A lot of guys did a handful of concepts they still do in NFL a bunch of times in high school and college.