Final Fantasy Tactics Mafia (Ivalice wins!)

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I think some roles have items like star trek. There was a role in that game where you could steal phasers. Probably swords this game. 

Ah! Good call! I was thinking about the Thief metric in my Space Jam game that I created. I believe @Dome drafted this one (Porky Pig?).

IIRC TKN is also big on "rock paper scissors" type roles. So I am assuming some of the aggressor/defender roles are kinda like giving out shields and using the batleth (which only had 50% chance of working).

That makes sense. I still don't know how magic factors in, but then again, I wasn't into RPG games or the card game Magic growing up either, so that 3rd phase aspect kind of loses me.

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Anyone want to discuss what these are?

Onion Knight is the JOAT, I would assume

In the game, the Onion Knight has no abilities on it's own outside of the ability to equip any item and is just a bit of a tank once the class is mastered. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ah! Good call! I was thinking about the Thief metric in my Space Jam game that I created. I believe @Dome drafted this one (Porky Pig?).

That makes sense. I still don't know how magic factors in, but then again, I wasn't into RPG games or the card game Magic growing up either, so that 3rd phase aspect kind of loses me.

I have some final fantasy game knowledge and some strategy game knowledge. I never played FF Tactics, but Ill take a stab on explaining:

Warriors:

1. You will have one that is specialized in attacking (vig?)

2. One specialized in tanking/defending (BG?)

3. One not specialized in anything (JOAT?)

4. One that is basically 1/2 fighter 1/2 wizard

Wizards

1. One focused on healing (revivor?)

2. One focused on dealing mass damage (bomb?)

3. One focused on support (no clue. Bartender role in star trek, hands out gifts maybe?) (or probably gives shields)

Sneak role - Not normally a lot of specializations, but for mafia I would assume this is the watcher/tracker/thief

Range role - Probably an one time unblockable

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. 

@Forge ^^^ thoughts? It sounds like you know the game. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I have no idea on the magic roles, but I was wondering/am really intrigued by the TIME MAGE...maybe it's just that it reminds me a lot of Dr. Strange's ability in @rackcs Marvel game.

I am really curious to see how he incorporates abilities to the game from some of the job classes. The oracle, for example, creates status affects on it's target (both good and bad). So could translate to something simple, like a silencer, or something else. The geomancer would be a really intriguing one to see because in the game, it uses terrain in order to attack people. No idea how that translates. Lancers have the "jump" ability, where in the character jumps off the screen for a number of turns, and then comes back down (landing on someone typically) to create damage. I suppose that could be sort of a commuter role? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I am really curious to see how he incorporates abilities to the game from some of the job classes. The oracle, for example, creates status affects on it's target (both good and bad). So could translate to something simple, like a silencer, or something else. The geomancer would be a really intriguing one to see because in the game, it uses terrain in order to attack people. No idea how that translates. Lancers have the "jump" ability, where in the character jumps off the screen for a number of turns, and then comes back down (landing on someone typically) to create damage. I suppose that could be sort of a commuter role? 

Plot? Good guys/bad guys? 

I guess I could go to wiki

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

@Forge ^^^ thoughts? It sounds like you know the game. 

Its my favorite game of all time. 

I could probably create skills attributes that correlate between the jobs and a mafia game if I really thought about it, but obviously whichever way that Nacho goes is up to him. 

A knight could be a typical protector role, obviously. Mime's could be just that - invest a player one night, are able to use that ability the next night. Thiefs may have the ability to steal an item, steal an ability, etc. 

I mean, I know how I think the game is structured, and I tend to think Forge has genuine interest and experience in the flavor, which may be his peril, but matts seems intent on establishing a conception of roles early.  Game hasn’t even started yet.

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

I mean, I know how I think the game is structured, and I tend to think Forge has genuine interest and experience in the flavor, which may be his peril, but matts seems intent on establishing a conception of roles early.  Game hasn’t even started yet.

Ah yes. Me trying to understand a game and discuss any relevant information (even if it might/likely will be wrong) = me being scum. I always forget how you relate discussing game dynamics as a scum tactic.

You are so big brained. 

Plot? Good guys/bad guys? 

I guess I could go to wiki

The game starts as a battle between two countries and regency of the throne for an infant child...it evolves into an open religious thing with the zodiac stones (incredibly powerful items), a somewhat jesus type character named Ajora (who's not a good guy), etc. 

Protagonists will include Ramza (the main character), TG Cid (or Orlandeau, whom Rams mentioned earlier), Agrias, and a number of others. Ovelia. 

Delita could be a good guy or a bad guy, or an indy. He's Ramza's best friend, but goes through the game on his own path. 

Guys like Wiegraf would certainly be bad, maybe Dycedarg, Ajora, etc. 

Ah yes. Me trying to understand a game and discuss any relevant information (even if it might/likely will be wrong) = me being scum. I always forget how you relate discussing game dynamics as a scum tactic.

You are so big brained. 

No, it’s you planting ideas and seeing who is knowledgeable of the theme that concerns me.