Jump to content
RaidersAreOne

Raiders LB Vontaze Burfiict suspended for season

Recommended Posts

To think it wasn't to long ago, that hit would of been highlighted on Sports Center and By the NFL, in one of their "You Got Jacked Up", segments/videos!

Funny how a Billion Dollar lawsuit being settled out of court has changed the NFL and everyone's views with Todays players. The moral outcry is boderline comical. 

Not condoning the hit but Sherman was partially right. Stay down and you don't get lit up!

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Burfict at his best was one of the top 43 LBs in the league.  If not for him being a complete POS, he could've potentially been a HOF LB, or at least a very well respected one.

Being the 43rd best LB is nothing to write home about 😀😀😀😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Never said Gruden was garbage, but he took on two of the most controversial players in the league, knowing full well what he was getting into, and neither made it four games into the season.

My comment was more about those two being idiots beyond redemption, but Gruden still made his own bed with the issues he had with those two jagoffs.

I can respect this take. Guenther was driving the Burfict signing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Gruden went all in, signing extremely talented headcases in Brown and Burfict...neither of which could last a quarter of a season.

You can't fix stupid.

Are we going to forget about the Martavis Bryant trade like that wasnt a thing? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick_gb said:

Are we going to forget about the Martavis Bryant trade like that wasnt a thing? Lol.

That was the 2018 offseason.      I was speaking specifically of the 2019 offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

That was the 2018 offseason.      I was speaking specifically of the 2019 offseason.

Fair. I'm just speaking of high risk / controversial player moves he's made in general since coming back. You would think the Bryant thing would have made him more leary on Antonio Brown / Burfict. How's that saying go? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. 

Edited by Nick_gb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

 

It's funny that he has an issue with the league enforcing rules that are meant to protect the players and thus eliminate the blatant head-hunting and cheap shots by Burfict over the years, but a few years ago he wrote an entire article criticizing TNF because it didn't protect the players.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/richard-sherman-seahawks-thursday-night-football

So he's okay with avoidable headshots, but not okay with playing on Thursday despite the former likely being way worse for a player in the long-run.

It is mind-boggling to me the amount of people coming to Burfict's defense, claiming the punishment is "unfair".  It isn't about one hit.  It is a history of plays.  And it goes beyond the plays he's been suspended for.  I remember in 2014, Burfict intentionally twisted the ankles of Olsen and Newton.  He is a dirty player.  And he clearly hasn't learned - there is no way anyone could argue the hit on Doyle wasn't avoidable.  He deserves this.

Edited by iknowcool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Fair. I'm just speaking of high risk / controversial player moves he's made in general since coming back. You would think the Bryant thing would have made him more leary on Antonio Brown / Burfict. How's that saying go? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. 

I completely agree, and its worth mentioning for that reason....but I guess I didnt want to rub too much salt on the wound....especially when two of those players were traded to the Raiders by the Steelers.  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, G said:

I think Burfict will end up 4 games tops

Based on what though?  The league has shown a willingness to stick by its guns (and to shine appeals, which aren't all that common for repeat offenses outside of PED suspensions) with repeat offenders.  The guy was shown leniency on multiple occasions (only fined while avoiding suspension 3-4 times before he was finally suspended for his blindsiding of Anthony Sherman; and even then was granted a 1-game reduction on appeal of that suspension) and he still flagrantly offends without reservation.  Burfict has made a case at this point that he doesn't deserve leniency.  He's already been levied a 4-game suspension (served 3) in the past for flagrant unnecessary roughness, what precedent would suggest the league would only enforce holding him to the same amount of games they granted him leniency to serve last time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Based on what though?  The league has shown a willingness to stick by its guns (and to shine appeals, which aren't all that common for repeat offenses outside of PED suspensions) with repeat offenders.  The guy was shown leniency on multiple occasions (only fined while avoiding suspension 3-4 times before he was finally suspended for his blindsiding of Anthony Sherman; and even then was granted a 1-game reduction on appeal of that suspension) and he still flagrantly offends without reservation.  Burfict has made a case at this point that he doesn't deserve leniency.  He's already been levied a 4-game suspension (served 3) in the past for flagrant unnecessary roughness, what precedent would suggest the league would only enforce holding him to the same amount of games they granted him leniency to serve last time?

Because football is a contact sport and his hit was unnecessary but not suspension material. It’s because he’s Burfict. It’s not the same as PEDs where if you keep getting caught the time served grows. People have been complaining about how the game is changing and with them hyping up flag football the writing is on the wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G said:

Because football is a contact sport and his hit was unnecessary but not suspension material. It’s because he’s Burfict. It’s not the same as PEDs where if you keep getting caught the time served grows. People have been complaining about how the game is changing and with them hyping up flag football the writing is on the wall. 

I reiterate.  The NFL has a track record of progressively increasing the length of suspension when there is a repeat offense of a past charge.  Burfict has now been fined for at least three separate incidents and suspended (4 games; reduced to 3) for a fourth.  So, with that precedent in place, what whacked out logic are you using to lead you to believe that he'll only end up serving "4 games tops" (what he was originally suspended for on the 4th offense and first time he was suspended, before that number was reduced).  Sorry, but that's some silver and black tinted homeristic over-optimism - and that's putting it nicely.  When someone shows you who they are, believe them.  Burfict has shown us, and the league, now 5(!) times who he is.  Dude's not changing, he's just trying to work the system for leniency he doesn't deserve (because he's not contrite and we have every reason to believe from how he's handled things previously that he has no intention whatsoever of changing his behavior).

Let him rot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can't help himself. If he gets a year, or 5 games or whatever - he'll offend again (in terms of the laws). Just hope he doesn't give someone a traumatic brain injury or something

Edited by Hunter2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derek Carr has delivered an "impassioned defense" of Vontaze Burfict (purely in the interests of fairness, and unrelated to the fact that they play for the same team), which was so moving that I wept............ for almost 4 seconds. I'm okay now, but the reader is warned, this is heart-wrenching stuff!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27750699/derek-carr-vontaze-burfict-heart-broken-suspension

 

"Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr offered an impassioned defense of suspended middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict in London on Wednesday, and coach Jon Gruden told reporters he is "not happy ... at all" with the NFL's decision to sideline Burfict for the remainder of the season.

Carr said Burfict is "one of the most misunderstood people in the NFL" and had become one of his favorite teammates in their short time together.

"I don't think he was trying to hurt that man; the man was going down," Carr said of Burfict's helmet-to-helmet hit on Indianapolis Colts tight end Jack Doyle on Sunday, which triggered the suspension a day later. "You see it all the time -- there's flags flying everywhere.

"We see other people choking people out, and they're going to play this Sunday. We see other people hitting people in the helmet, and they're going to play this Sunday. And Vontaze Burfict won't play the rest of the year? I think that's a little excessive, if you ask me. I don't think it's fair, if we really got to know the guy. If the people making the decision really knew the guy that we know, inside our building ... he's a great person, his heart is broken because he's not playing football. The guy just wants to play football. We don't get a lot of time to play this game in our lives."

Image result for image of man crying

 

Edited by bzane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×