Raiders LB Vontaze Burfiict suspended for season

RaidersAreOne

On 10/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Gruden went all in, signing extremely talented headcases in Brown and Burfict...neither of which could last a quarter of a season.

You can't fix stupid.

Don't forget Richie Incognito. 

Signing 3 headcases in one offseason blew up in their face, who didn't see that coming? 

57 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Don't forget Richie Incognito. 

Signing 3 headcases in one offseason blew up in their face, who didn't see that coming? 

You mean the guy who hasn't caused any problems since signing?

Yes taking a chance on some risky, talented players that don't impact our long term cap at all really blew up in our face!

Our young roster at 2-2 is really at the bottom of the league!

And it's only going to get worse next offseason with 2 1st round picks and 85 million in cap space!

Wow our front office must be terrible. Who didn't see that coming?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You mean the guy who hasn't caused any problems since signing?

Yes taking a chance on some risky, talented players that don't impact our long term cap at all really blew up in our face!

Our young roster at 2-2 is really at the bottom of the league!

And it's only going to get worse next offseason with 2 1st round picks and 85 million in cap space!

Wow our front office must be terrible. Who didn't see that coming?

To be fair, your unexpected success is in SPITE of those signings, not because of them seeing how they were off the team in no time.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bzane said:

Derek Carr has delivered an "impassioned defense" of Vontaze Burfict (purely in the interests of fairness, and unrelated to the fact that they play for the same team), which was so moving that I wept............ for almost 4 seconds. I'm okay now, but the reader is warned, this is heart-wrenching stuff!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27750699/derek-carr-vontaze-burfict-heart-broken-suspension

"Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr offered an impassioned defense of suspended middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict in London on Wednesday, and coach Jon Gruden told reporters he is "not happy ... at all" with the NFL's decision to sideline Burfict for the remainder of the season.

Carr said Burfict is "one of the most misunderstood people in the NFL" and had become one of his favorite teammates in their short time together.

"I don't think he was trying to hurt that man; the man was going down," Carr said of Burfict's helmet-to-helmet hit on Indianapolis Colts tight end Jack Doyle on Sunday, which triggered the suspension a day later. "You see it all the time -- there's flags flying everywhere.

"We see other people choking people out, and they're going to play this Sunday. We see other people hitting people in the helmet, and they're going to play this Sunday. And Vontaze Burfict won't play the rest of the year? I think that's a little excessive, if you ask me. I don't think it's fair, if we really got to know the guy. If the people making the decision really knew the guy that we know, inside our building ... he's a great person, his heart is broken because he's not playing football. The guy just wants to play football. We don't get a lot of time to play this game in our lives."

Image result for image of man crying

BS. "Not trying to hurt the man."  That's the most comical excuse I hear players say every time someone gets knocked out or injured. You blasted him in the head, what do you think might happen when you do that?

He's a total idiot and deserves to be banned for life before he kills someone.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Why are you defending him

Steelers fans defended Harrison (and collected to pay his fines) and he had a lot more helmet to helmet hits and knockouts than Burfict has. Fans want to defend their players, I'm sure Raider fans wouldn't have any issue with a 1 or 2 game suspension but a full season pretty much for a helmet to helmet seems extreme and eventually they could copy that same thing on a 3 time offender that 95% of us didn't view one or more of those hits actually being intentionally led with the helmet.

No one likes Burfict but you also have to consider what future actions this could lead to.

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Steelers fans defended Harrison (and collected to pay his fines) and he had a lot more helmet to helmet hits and knockouts than Burfict has. Fans want to defend their players, I'm sure Raider fans wouldn't have any issue with a 1 or 2 game suspension but a full season pretty much for a helmet to helmet seems extreme and eventually they could copy that same thing on a 3 time offender that 95% of us didn't view one or more of those hits actually being intentionally led with the helmet.

No one likes Burfict but you also have to consider what future actions this could lead to.

He deserves more than a game or two.  If this was incident #1 I would agree with that punishment.  I think the season is a bit excessive and that 8 games should have been the max, but I can understand the NFLs position on this also.

27 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He deserves more than a game or two.  If this was incident #1 I would agree with that punishment.  I think the season is a bit excessive and that 8 games should have been the max, but I can understand the NFLs position on this also.

Burfict is bad for the league because he doesn't learn from prior mistakes. I don't like to see players intentionally put other players at risk for head injuries or taking cheap shots. However if this was a first incident he doesn't get suspended at all. The NFL, for obvious reasons, doesn't like Burfict either and I get that. If the NFL happens to not like Myles Garrett for some reason and suspends him after a 3rd roughing the passer penalty (he had 2 in one game, one with a leg injury) even though they were bang bang I would be pretty upset. I wouldn't defend Burfict but I also don't like being put as risk of losing a player for 8 or 10 or 14 games in the future for something that I don't believe was intentional and it scares me because the league hasn't been nice to the Browns in the past. Look no further than the last suspension for Josh Gordon in Cleveland and the following one in New England, I think there was about a 15 game difference.

18 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Thank you, this is exactly what I’ve been trying to tell everyone.  If it had been a brutal hit then I would be more understanding of them suspending him for the season, but it clearly was an incidental hit.  Looks like they’re punishing him solely based off his history.  He deserves 6 games at absolute most