Raiders LB Vontaze Burfiict suspended for season

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think you're focusing on the individual hit, and not that it's the fourth time he's done something such as this.

It's like a speeding ticket. First one, I can probably take defensive driving, pay a fine, pay costs and be done with it. Fourth time? My license is getting suspended for a very long time because my behavior is now habitual in nature.

Burfict is a habitual head hunter. So, he's getting his license suspended.

Your license isn’t going to get suspended for speeding tickets but yes, fully understand your point. 

The history of similar (tbh, worse) hits is obviously what got him the suspension.  I'm sure his lack of remorse doesn't help his cause either.  I don't know the guy, but it sure seems like in his mind there is no problem with these hits.  Not that long ago, the league and its fans would have both agreed with him.  I expect the league still does, but their hand was forced by the CTE lawsuit.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I’d say at least one-third of NFL Linebackers get into at least one helmet to helmet hit per year. Are we saying Burfict had to be completely penalty free in that area? This is a gross over reaction by the NFL and only done to flex their buttercup brand. Can’t hate on them for protecting their brand, legit reaching trillion dollar business at some point, but Burfict was a marked man. 

Is he held to a higher standard? Idk, maybe?  When you’ve done something as many times as he has you’re not gonna get the benefit of the doubt.

And I think if we’re not being obtuse we can agree there’s a wide array of helmet to helmet hits.  Some somewhat incidental, unfortunate in how it plays out but rules are rules type of a thing.

This was blatant headhunting on a dude who was essentially down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’d say at least one-third of NFL Linebackers get into at least one helmet to helmet hit per year. Are we saying Burfict had to be completely penalty free in that area? This is a gross over reaction by the NFL and only done to flex their buttercup brand. Can’t hate on them for protecting their brand, legit reaching trillion dollar business at some point, but Burfict was a marked man. 

I wonder why Burfict is a marked man. Who could be responsible for him being marked? Certainly not because of his previous actions.

The fact that you are looking at this instance as an isolated incident is ridiculous. He's not being suspended for a year because of this one hit. If this was his first offense then that would be a completely different discussion.

The dude speared a defenseless player in the head...for the umpteenth time. GTFO  with your nonsense, man.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Your license isn’t going to get suspended for speeding tickets but yes, fully understand your point. 

Well... I need to fire my lawyer! xD

(And, yes - it can, if you're getting multiple speeding tickets).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

Uhhhh that was nothing remotely similar, Barnett's angle of the helmet contact was almost parallel whereas Burfict was spearing Doyle.

Barnett took a running start and hit a stationary target, whose head had no place to go to reduce some of the impact of the hit.    

Edited by INbengalfan