Schefter on Roquan Smith

WindyCity

I think it is pretty shocking how much speculation there is around this and the tone of some of it is just in poor taste...given it hasn't came out from the league office it isn't criminal or substance related meaning dude needs help with this rather than speculation...truth is this could be a case of a guy where something is happening in his family or with his friends or anything...that's before we get into anything with his own mental health...either way I hope this kid gets whatever help he needs as a seriously talented player and what seemed like a future team leader. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Dan Weidrerer was on ESPN 1000 and it sounded like this was serious and he did not want to get to deep into it.

I would expect a serious absence.

Yeah I don't think he knows anything, rather he's assuming based on the eerie silence and Nagy's unwillingness to talk about it

55 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Dan Weidrerer was on ESPN 1000 and it sounded like this was serious and he did not want to get to deep into it.

I would expect a serious absence.

Those guys don't know anything. They love to stir the pot with this kind of stuff. 

I have no clue what is going on.  But apply occam's razor. The simpler explanation is probably the right one.

PFF has Smith at a "score" of 48.  Run D of 51.2.  Coverage D of 50.2.  Pass Rush 49.8.

That puts him as the 67th ranked ILB according to PFF.

Would stand to reason that Nagy has been riding Smith to get better and it just hasn't happened.  Or maybe Smith didn't take those conversations too well.

Trevathan is a 62.6.

Kwiatkowski is a 60.5.

17th ranked ILB is around 70.5.  Kind of a "median".  

Nothing too earth shattering here, but it could be as easy as a coach having a conversation with a player about his play and that talk not going very well.

Clearly PFF feels like the other two ILB's played better.  Pretty significantly better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I have no clue what is going on.  But apply occam's razor. The simpler explanation is probably the right one.

PFF has Smith at a "score" of 48.  Run D of 51.2.  Coverage D of 50.2.  Pass Rush 49.8.

Would stand to reason that Nagy has been riding Smith to get better and it just hasn't happened.  Or maybe Smith didn't take those conversations too well.

Trevathan is a 62.6.

Kwiatkowski is a 60.5.

Nothing too earth shattering here, but it could be as easy as a coach having a conversation with a player about his play and that talk not going very well.

Clearly PFF feels like the other two ILB's played better.  Pretty significantly better.

I doubt that Bears use PFF metrics to evaluate their own talent.  

This is a prime example of when PFF is wrong.  Smith has played pretty well to start the season.  I am about 99% confident that this has nothing to do with performance and is an actual personal issue.

The reports were that Roquan was displaying erratic behavior leading up to last week's game. I'm thinking this is a mental health thing.

41 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Trevathan is a 62.6.

Kwiatkowski is a 60.5.

Clearly PFF is a joke. Do we really have to go over this again?

32 teams would take Roquan over Kwiatkoski.

If Kwiatkoski plays at 75% of the level he did vs MIN, the Bears will be fine in his absence, but if he goes back to slow *** Nick, they're in trouble.

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about this... like maybe Quan has lost his passion for the game or is concerned for his future health and wants to walk away.

Not saying this is in any way related but remember his hold out last year due to some weird offset language stuff that was in his contract? 

Play aside..things haven't exactly been smooth with him in his first 2 years in the NFL.

27 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about this... like maybe Quan has lost his passion for the game or is concerned for his future health and wants to walk away.

Not saying this is in any way related but remember his hold out last year due to some weird offset language stuff that was in his contract? 

Play aside..things haven't exactly been smooth with him in his first 2 years in the NFL.

I feel like if he wanted to walk away, he would have done so already and not been on the sideline on Sunday, and I hope the Bears wouldn't be dumb enough to be attempting to convince him to stay. 

The offset language, IIRC, was in regards to guarantees not being waived in the event of a suspension for illegal hits and if/how much the Bears would pay him if he were to be suspended.