Schefter on Roquan Smith

WindyCity

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Get better from what is the question.  

Not sure, but I think it eliminates mental health stuff because you can't know for a fact he will get better.

It also eliminates curfew/missed meetings, because you don't get better from that. Buy a damn watch.

A legal issue would be public by now, and a death in the family would've been common knowledge by now (see Mike Davis' situation).

That all leads me to believe it's drugs or alcohol. Obviously I have no way of knowing but it's what I would guess if I had to.

Edited by beardown3231

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not sure, but I think it eliminates mental health stuff because you can't know for a fact he will get better.

It also eliminates curfew/missed meetings, because you don't get better from that. Buy a damn watch.

A legal issue would be public by now, and a death in the family would've been common knowledge by now (see Mike Davis' situation).

That all leads me to believe it's drugs or alcohol. Obviously I have no way of knowing but it's what I would guess if I had to.

If it is drugs or alcohol of any significant amount the team or league would surely be involved.

25 minutes ago, malagabears said:

If it is drugs or alcohol of any significant amount the team or league would surely be involved.

That's a good point, but maybe 1) the team is involved already and 2) he *thinks* there's a problem and wants to get help so they're going to try it in-house before the league comes down on him. 

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think it eliminates mental health at all.  It wouldn't be unusual to say someone will get better.

We just don't know.  But the catagories of things it could be are definitely narrowing.  

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Leno's wife just can't stop tweeting aaand now we know it's mental health

We dont.  She is responding to somebody else bringing up mental health.  But I was leaning that way myself.  Have to wonder if the kid has MDD.  When an episode happens it's scary and really hard to deal with.  If it is mental health, it's really none of our business, and I applaud Nagy, and the Bears for a) keeping it in house, and b) giving the kid whatever he needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

We dont.  She is responding to somebody else bringing up mental health.  But I was leaning that way myself.  Have to wonder if the kid has MDD.  When an episode happens it's scary and really hard to deal with.  If it is mental health, it's really none of our business, and I applaud Nagy, and the Bears for a) keeping it in house, and b) giving the kid whatever he needs.

The way she ended that tweet, with the same verbage Nagy keeps using, makes me believe otherwise.

The thing is, if it's mental health or drugs/alcohol and he is reaching out, this city, this team, us fans, would support him to all ends. In this situation the truth sets you free and the support is undeniable.

Edited by dafreak

Everything else aside,   That Locker Room is locked down.  Gotta feel good for Smith to know his team and organization have his back.    

If it is his mental health,  it is probably best to keep it locked up.  They could be at a point where they aren’t sure exactly what’s going on,  he might not either.  

23 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I doubt that Bears use PFF metrics to evaluate their own talent.  

This is a prime example of when PFF is wrong.  Smith has played pretty well to start the season.  I am about 99% confident that this has nothing to do with performance and is an actual personal issue.

The reports were that Roquan was displaying erratic behavior leading up to last week's game. I'm thinking this is a mental health thing.

You very well could be right.

But as far as PFF goes...they apply their metrics the same across the board.  Pretty clearly they have Smith as your third best ILB...and the margin isn't close.

Odds are the Bears staff saw some of the same things.

Look, we all know that Roquan is physically a better player.  There's a lot more upside there.  But he just wasn't getting the job done, or at least he wasn't doing his job as well as others were.

People are talking about mental health, car wreck...etc.  When the answer is probably something simple.  But, we shall see.

Either way, I hope the man is okay.  And if he isn't, I hope he gets some help.  He's too young and way too talented to let something derail his career.