Schefter on Roquan Smith

WindyCity

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is the advance stats that they subscribe for, not the grades.

The advanced stats are very nice to have. But the grades are super subjective and can never be that accurate without knowing the play call and the responsibility.

Correct. I honestly can't believe someone is peddling PFF on this board to be honest. Not too long ago mentioning them was an instant barrage of hate and for good reason. Their grades are used in arguments all the time and hugely subjective. 

Anyone who follows PFF grades will tell you that this early in the season, the difference between a good and bad grade comes down to a few plays. The difference in player rankings is often pretty arbitrary early in the season.

Fans see this and complain but they typically have a number of biases and don’t understand that PFF is not using ratings to make statements about player quality so much as to measure current performance.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is the advance stats that they subscribe for, not the grades.

The advanced stats are very nice to have. But the grades are super subjective and can never be that accurate without knowing the play call and the responsibility.

Yes, those teams subscribe to the advanced metrics.  I cannot afford that.  At least not without asking my wife for permission.  Ah.....

We disagree, though, about them not knowing play calls or responsibilities.  They have many, many, many ex players on staff that know and understand just that.

Collinsworth was impressed with how knowledgeable those guys were when he met them...and this is a former jock himself.

I get the angst over it, i really do.  I just don't buy into it.  I take it for what it is worth.  Stats and analytics for the sake of stats and analytics.

So far it's been spot on for my team.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Anyone who follows PFF grades will tell you that this early in the season, the difference between a good and bad grade comes down to a few plays. The difference in player rankings is often pretty arbitrary early in the season.

Fans see this and complain but they typically have a number of biases and don’t understand that PFF is not using ratings to make statements about player quality so much as to measure current performance.

I think I mentioned that, regarding Roquan.  Where he is now could be the product of 10 plays or so.

Wasn't long ago that Jaire Alexander was in the 40's for cornerbacks, now he's quite high.

Things can turn around quickly.

I have no doubt that Roquan can and will tear up the PFF metrics.  I would venture a straight up guess that his ceiling for PFF is considerably higher than Kwaikowski or even Trevathan.  Roquan is just plain athletic enough to get to more +2 plays.  And he will when given opportunity, I have no doubt.  

PFF wise...anyone argue that Kyle Long isn't in the bottom third of guards in the league while Whitehair is in the top third?

Trubisky being in the bottom 5 QB's who have played this year?

Mack as the best edge by over a point?  Versus guys that have more sacks?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

PFF wise...anyone argue that Kyle Long isn't in the bottom third of guards in the league while Whitehair is in the top third?

Trubisky being in the bottom 5 QB's who have played this year?

Mack as the best edge by over a point?  Versus guys that have more sacks?

Long has been flailing around. And Mitch hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire.

But PFF is far too subjective with the way they do their ratings ("quality plays" and all that). We had a big discussion on them last season. I think (if I remember correctly) that some of us even questioned how one Bear could be rated as highly as he was. PFF is okay for what it is, but it's not a whole lot more accurate than a bunch of us hashing things out in this place...

Smith being back this soon and speaking to the media makes me believe the issue was not with him but someone close to him...when bad things happen to people around you just before a big game then it is easy to see why he might not have been acting himself and had a take a step back.

• Like 1

Who cares where Jaire Alexander or Roquan Smith are in the PFF rankings? They had Wims higher than Gabriel in a game where Gabriel caught THREE touchdowns. They said Trubisky was worse in week 3 than in week 1. Last year they didn't think Mack was a top 5 NFL defensive player. It's dumb. They're dumb. Their grades, opinions and stats are meaningless.

• Like 1