@Vikings Offense

dll2000

I will try to knock some of these out during lunches this week.

Haven't gotten very far as they are time consuming, but I am learning the scheme by doing it.  

Not so much the concept reads because I need Nagy or someone who knows for that though I can guess several of them, but the general plays.

So series 1, play 1.   1st and 10.

Bears come out in what for them is their base - 3 WR, TE and RB in gun.  Just assume that unless I tell you different.

TE is Burton.  RB is Cohen. Wims and Patterson are in.  I think Wims played much of this game.  Everyone is inside numbers.  (I'll just call this 'tight' from now on, if they are outside numbers I will say 'spread').

Bears run a swing pass to Patterson with Cohen going opposite.

There is no one to block MLB who gets out there to make play.  3 yards.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

2nd and 7.  Play 2.

No huddle.

Spread.

Zone read right to Cohen.  3 yards. 

Lets check blocking and read.

Leno good.  Whitehair holy smokes.  A+.  Who is that guy and where has he been?!?  Daniels Okay, Sowell Okay, Massie okay.   Cohen could have got another yard or two out of that I think.

Read is good.

3rd and 4 play 3.

Spread left tight right.

Burton is lone receiver to right.

Cohen goes wide right.  Now its 5 wide.

All curls and Burton slant. Left wide out can't see.  

Complete to Miller for 6.  Very nice pass.  First down.  

Quick pass, but it was well blocked.

Edited by dll2000

1st and 10 play 4.

3x1 spread to right.

Still Cohen.

Zone read left for 6.

Lets check blocking ...

Very good across the board.   Whitehair drove his man back 3 yards before he lost him and he helped make the tackle.  Acceptable.

Larsen playing well early.

Very early but line looks completely different from first 3 weeks thus far.  It is night and day.  

Read is good. 

Edited by dll2000

2nd and 4 play 5.

Trips to top.  Spread.  TE is tight and is to top.

Lone receiver is Robinson to bottom.

Receivers clear, Monty runs what I believe is a 2 way go route.  Not sure if that is called stick when RB does it.

Barr plays it text book no clear read.  Monty elects to go inside.  Ball is on money in tight coverage.  I would call it a drop.  

3rd and 4 play 6. 

Same formation.

Vikings rush 5 with a twist.

Monty runs to flat.  Burton runs a dig and could have been easily hit if MT throws right away.     He is quickly covered.  Every other receiver runs off my screen (Lord I hate broadcast view)

Vikings OLB carries Monty to flat for 3 steps and Leno sees this and helps inside.  Then OLB rushes uncontested and gets to MT who has nowhere to go and is now out of time with an unblocked defender right in his face as he turns to look back left.

MT evades the unblocked defender with some nice moves, but now he is really out of time.  Backside rush is coming hard.  

Strip sack we lose the fumble.  

... But penalty on MN.  Holding.  We get first down instead.

MT has to pull trigger with a 5 man rush and a 5 man protection you aren't going to have much time.  I put this play on him.    

This is play he was hurt.  

Edited by dll2000

1st and 10 play 7.

This is different. 

Bears under center and are in unbalanced right in I formation.  Extra Tackle is in game.  Lucas.

Holtz is playing FB. Monty at TB.

I wonder if this is going to be a power run to Monty?  LOL.  

Bears run power (Whitehair) and lead (Holtz) right.  

Whitehair makes a poor block on crashing play side LB and safety cleans up.  In fairness that is a really hard block to make in space, but it wasn't good..  Rest of blocking was okay.  There were a lot of bodies. 

1 yard gain.  

2nd and 9.  play 8.

Gun 2x2.  TE is tight. Spread.  Shaheen is the TE and he is tight but off LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.  

Shaheen runs a 9 yard curl or dig that turns into an 8 yard completion.  Scratch that it was 9.  

Not sure what Wins was doing he was only about 3 yards in front of Shaheen running same route.

Bottom two receivers (Cohen was one) ran deep and Monty ran an out to flat.

Pocket was good.  Line is really playing better today.  Can't tell you that enough.  Watching this is way different than watching them previous weeks.  

Shaheen looking decent as a receiver this year btw.  Blocking leaves a lot to be desired though. 

Edited by dll2000

Oops just noticed I titled topic Redskins meant Vikings.  Have to change that...

3rd and 1.  No Huddle.

Under center.

Shaheen lines up at LT for some reason and Leno at right TE.

Daniel runs a sneak.  No gain.  Vikings submarine the A gaps.  No where to go.  

Edited by dll2000

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

2nd and 7.  Play 2.

No huddle.

Spread.

Zone read right to Cohen.  3 yards. 

Lets check blocking and read.

Leno good.  Whitehair holy smokes.  A+.  Who is that guy and where has he been?!?  Daniels Okay, Sowell Okay, Massie okay.   Cohen could have got another yard or two out of that I think.

Read is good.

Some how Sowell made it into the game off the street, that is some magic.

23 hours ago, dll2000 said:

3rd and 4 play 6. 

Same formation.

Vikings rush 5 with a twist.

Monty runs to flat.  Burton runs a dig and could have been easily hit if MT throws right away.     He is quickly covered.  Every other receiver runs off my screen (Lord I hate broadcast view)

Vikings OLB carries Monty to flat for 3 steps and Leno sees this and helps inside.  Then OLB rushes uncontested and gets to MT who has nowhere to go and is now out of time with an unblocked defender right in his face as he turns to look back left.

MT evades the unblocked defender with some nice moves, but now he is really out of time.  Backside rush is coming hard.  

Strip sack we lose the fumble.  

... But penalty on MN.  Holding.  We get first down instead.

MT has to pull trigger with a 5 man rush and a 5 man protection you aren't going to have much time.  I put this play on him.    

This is play he was hurt.  

So Bears twitter and youtube guys are saying MT had all these guys wide open down field on this play.

This is classic arm chair QBing BS.  MT did screw up that play, but not for reasons they say, he screwed up by not throwing ball early and on time to Burton.  You knew for a fact at least 4 were coming and likely 5 or more.   You have to get that ball out.  

When he chose to pull ball back down after he declined the Burton throw he looked back left and Leno's man was coming full speed unblocked right at him.   Leno didn't screw up that bad because as I explained earlier that guy looked initially like he was dropping in coverage and then came on a delay, but he did screw up.  

These guys run 4.4s.  You can't reset your feet and make any kind of downfield throw with an unblocked player a few yards from you.  You have to evade and try to reset which is not easy when a guy is that close.  MT did amazingly enough, no way in hell Daniel or Bray can evade that, but by time he made his moves backside rush was almost there and ran him down from behind and got him.  

Now during this time some guys may look wide open on a screen shot, but that is meaningless.  It always looks like that on a scramble.  They have to stop doing that.