Broncos OLB Bradley Chubb tears ACL; out for year

RaidersAreOne

One of the issues with taking BPA in the draft, you might replace a player who could have been a starter for the team. Where that draft capital of have been used somewhere else

Broncos take Chubb last year and then let Shaq Barrett walk via FA....who is off to a near-historic sack rate. Chubb is a fine player but he's hurt now. Wow

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Not really about the results, more about the process. Chubb shouldn't be going in and out of the game if he is dealing with an injury regardless of severity. We suck. Preserve one of your franchise players in this situation IMO

I get that football is inherently different than basketball culturally, but the NFL is about 10 years behind the NBA in how they handle elite players 

Without having seen the replay, though, if there was impact, or unclear mechanism, it wouldn't have set alarms if the player felt OK.   When an ACL tears completely, it's obvious.   When there's a partial tear, players often feel well enough to keep playing.  It's only when the swelling sets in that the injury becomes more obvious.   Partial tears are different animals than complete tears, and why no one should feel safe when a guy has a knee injury until they get the MRI done.

I get what you are saying is that the Broncos staff shouldn't have taken the chance - but without seeing how the injury went down, I really can't get on the staff here.   It's like if a guy twisted his ankle or knee and the clinical tests were sound, they'd play the guy 10 times out of 10.  RG3 is an example where the mechanism and actual event looked so ominous.   Without seeing the replay (and realizing the staff wouldn't have seen it easily from the sideline, and TV replays didn't show it clearly for the booth guys), it's very hard to criticize the staff here, even process-wise.   You know how hard I am on our org when we make mistakes, but honestly this wasn't one of them (drafting him as a guy who IMO can't be an alpha EDGE on his own over any other position, well, that's another story, but that's not part of this discussion, and the injury doesn't justify that position either lol).

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Without having seen the replay, though, if there was impact, or unclear mechanism, it wouldn't have set alarms if the player felt OK.   When an ACL tears completely, it's obvious.   When there's a partial tear, players often feel well enough to keep playing.

If its a partial ACL tear, can they tell with the Lachman or Drawer Test ?
Or are those only useful for a full tear ?

52 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If its a partial ACL tear, can they tell with the Lachman or Drawer Test ?
Or are those only useful for a full tear ?

If it’s there - 100 percent accurate.  But a negative test is present a lot in partial tears because the joint is often stable - even with complete tears you see it being negative.     The only reason a partial tear needs an OR repair is the inevitability of a complete tear.  Some players don’t find out until weeks - months later they tore it partially beforehand (but never avoid a full tear if they keep playing - why the OR repair is an automatic call for pro athletes).  

A negative clinical test doesn’t ever reassure me IMO with a non contact injury.  Always get the MRI (which IMO can miss super small <sub 5 percent> tears - I think that happened to Guice at LSU and McKinnon last preseason with SF, but obv can’t prove it - but it won’t miss partial tears).   I couldn’t see the mechanism so it’s hard for me to criticize the staff if they didn’t see it either.  And as ppl know I don’t give my team a pass for anything - better to be tougher on them than be a blind homer.  I just can’t ding them here.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1