Broncos OLB Bradley Chubb tears ACL; out for year

RaidersAreOne

Just now, iLikeDefense said:

But do they view it as a lost season? In that moment, they probably viewed that game as a must win. 

Exactly the issue i'm getting at. And either way it's unacceptable. The org wants Chubb to be contributing to this team for at least 2 contracts. More important than a September game against Jacksonville

TBH playing on the torn ACL didn’t likely make it worse.  Once it tore it was torn.  The fact it was a partial tear is why he could play.  And why it didn’t feel so bad as it did once the swelling took overnight.   It’s also why the clinical test is unreliable when not present - it’s 100 percent accurate when it says there is a tear there but not when it’s negative.  

It sucks but likely did no extra damage.  Could it have?  For sure.  But a partial tear is where players often don’t realize it.   The risk of a complete tear is why it needs fixing.  And if that happened the Q’s likely would have come.    But the story isn’t that unusual.   I don’t blame the staff - the sideline tests can get it wrong it’s why I never say I believe good news on minor knee injuries when it’s non-contact unless they do a MRI.  Just sucks for Chubb and us.   

Edited by Broncofan

You're now in a position of starting a rookie UDFA at outside linebacker. Kind of a natural way to open the floodgates, no? 

I feel like this is the time to start benching some guys. I've seen enough of Shelby Harris at NT, Purcell should be starting there. DeMarcus Walker made a few plays on Sunday, that's good enough for me to give him a shot to start at one of the end positions. Dre'Mont should be on the field every 3rd down, as well as rotating in on early downs so he can take those lumps. 

ILB is, of course, a complete mess. I know we can't have Corey Nelson on the field anymore, good god that's the easiest fix on the roster. He's not even playing special teams, cut him. As much of Justin Hollins as possible to figure out if he has any future there, although now he is your primary backup at OLB so maybe you can't. See if you have anything in Joe Jones when he's back. He's had one opportunity in his career and looked good in that game. He can run, you have to try him. 

On the back end, I think we know what Will Parks is. Subpackage player in a defense where he can't play that position. When Kareem is back, put him back at SS, keep Duke and Bausby on the field, and when Harris is traded you can give Yiadom his shot to improve. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

Ah, I don’t blame the staff.  Further Chubb didn’t have a complete tear making it harder to diagnose and to further even that, Chubb is a gamer who would’ve wanted and clearly did play...I am guessing he didn’t even realize he was as seriously injured.

This actually happened to me in high school my senior year.  In the scrimmage before the season I ran the ball and while cutting my knee got clipped by a DB.  It didn’t hurt but when I got up my knee felt weird, but there wasn’t any pain.  I finished the half.  Came out the 2nd half and went to cut and my knee completely collapsed and that’s when I knew something was wrong, still no pain though.  I sat the rest of the game woke up the next morning with my knee swollen and painful.  Tried to practice later that week and my knee continued to collapse, went in for an MRI and had a complete ACL tear.  The person who performed my surgery was Dr. Martin Boublik (sp) who is on Denver’s medical staff and could likely be the one who performs Chubbs.  He told me that I probably partially tore my ACL when the DB clipped me and then fully tore it trying to cut.

12 hours ago, champ11 said:

Absolute organizational incompetence. One of your (VERY FEW) young, core pieces should not be playing through injuries on an 0-3 team. Even effing cramps. This is an embarrassment. No idea if Chubb tore his ACL before or after he came back in, but either way it displays an organization that has no idea what the hell it's doing 

Listen bud, you're better than this! Take a breath. That's a really sh***ty post.

We're definitely going to see a repeat of Demarcus Walker with Justin Hollins, aren't we? Guy is moved around constantly as a young player based solely on where we need him, rather than what suits him best, and the player simply can't just play because he's too busy thinking. You would have to assume Hollins is going to get the 1st crack at being the next pass rusher in after Von and Malik, but I've seen nothing from Hollins to suggest he's ready for such a role.

Wonder if Ahmad Gooden will get brought up, or perhaps a veteran like Nick Perry brought in? I think we'd all prefer the former, given this season is done already.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We're definitely going to see a repeat of Demarcus Walker with Justin Hollins, aren't we? Guy is moved around constantly as a young player based solely on where we need him, rather than what suits him best, and the player simply can't just play because he's too busy thinking. You would have to assume Hollins is going to get the 1st crack at being the next pass rusher in after Von and Malik, but I've seen nothing from Hollins to suggest he's ready for such a role.

Wonder if Ahmad Gooden will get brought up, or perhaps a veteran like Nick Perry brought in? I think we'd all prefer the former, given this season is done already.

The team is essentially sabotaging its own draft pick because they refuse to address the linebacker position.

Elway and Russell think linebackers grow on freaking trees. That's true of mediocre linebackers, not good ones. Not difference makers. 

• Like 2

This is actually a bigger problem - ACL recovery is almost routine the 1st time, but the chances of losing some explosion after a 2nd ACL is much greater (not a lost cause by any means especially because Chubb is still young in terms of recovery potential vs. a 30+ year old guy, but it's not as straightforward an assumption that all is going to be back to pre-injury levels).  Damn.

Edited by Broncofan