Trade Deadline Rumors

TakeTheBallDeep

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Are you saying the escalated bonuses hit 2020 and not 2019? If that is the case, then yes, that would be doable (though certainly not advisable). I thought it was treated like a post june 1 trade / cut, which means some would still hit this year while the rest would hit the second year. That's actually how I have it happening in OTC as well. 

If the trade had happened pre-June 1, all 19.5M accrues to 2019.  Now, the 13M left accrues to 2020 with a deal.   So yeah, do-able.

Let's face it, it's a sunk cost.  If they can get a Day 2 pick for Solder, Gettleman should take it and run.

Meanwhile, Dorsey's habit of ignoring inherent pick value and cap management is about to start accumulating a butcher's bill.  While CLE fans will say it's because he has the room - KC history says he'll keep doing it.   It's OK for now - but once Garrett & co. start needing extensions, this is going to get interesting.   

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If the trade had happened pre-June 1, all 19.5M accrues to 2019.  Now, the 13M left accrues to 2020 with a deal.   So yeah, do-able.

Let's face it, it's a sunk cost.  If they can get a Day 2 pick for Solder, Gettleman should take it and run.

Meanwhile, Dorsey's habit of ignoring inherent pick value and cap management is about to start accumulating a butcher's bill.  While CLE fans will say it's because he has the room - KC history says he'll keep doing it.   It's OK for now - but once Garrett & co. start needing extensions, this is going to get interesting.   

Yeah, I hope this doesn't happen. Solder isn't that good and certainly not worth what he's being paid. I could live with it if we only gave up a mid-round pick or a conditional pick, but nothing more.

Dorsey has had a history of poorly managing cap space, but hopefully DePodesta will help him in that regard.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Browns reporter on a realistic trade for Trent.  Lol @ all the Browns fans claiming a 1st was laughable.

To be fair though - if WAS waits until the offseason, with Williams turning 32, and a year removed from football, and an entire draft that's loaded at T, and FA options that won't be quite as good, but also free from pick capital - no way Snyder/Allen sniffs a 1st in the offseason.  

But right now, in this seller's market?  Yeah, it's reasonable.  But there's an expiration date on this package, and it's Oct. 29th, at 2 PM ET.   Any sane FO would realize this..but it's Snyder/Allen we're talking about, so we'll see.

Just now, Broncofan said:

To be fair though - if WAS waits until the offseason, with Williams turning 32, and a year removed from football, and an entire draft that's loaded at T, and FA options that won't be quite as good, but also free from pick capital - no way Snyder/Allen sniffs a 1st in the offseason.  

But right now, in this seller's market?  Yeah, it's reasonable.  But there's an expiration date on this package, and it's Oct. 29th, at 2 PM ET.   Any sane FO would realize this..but it's Snyder/Allen we're talking about, so we'll see.

Yeah, this is obviously assuming a trade this season, which is what I have been basing my thoughts on fair compensation on all along (since earlier this offseason).  I doubt it will actually happen because Snyder/Allen are incompetent buffoons, but it's just funny to me that so many people wrote off a 1st for Trent as laughable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

@Broncofan hope this is wrong for you guys. 

Sadly, I think Elway is overplaying his hand - the Sanders return is likely making him shoot for the moon.  So he's going to gamble on a Tuesday 2 PM deadline to see if he can get the moon.

What it tells me - he's not trading him before Sun's games.  And he's playing Harris to keep the appearances up.   Knowing our luck, Harris will suffer a devastating injury, and we won't even get a end-3rd comp pick.

There's a saying my CA colleagues tell me at tax return time (I'm not a CA lol) - smart hogs get fat.  Greedy ones get slaughtered.  I hope Elway remembers this.

FWIW, when @Danger and I were talking about this last week - this is totally Elway's style.   Gambler, go-for-broke.

By Tuesday, he might find no one wants to offer even a 2nd, and then he loses out on the gamble.  Or Harris gets injured.

Or..he gets a team that "almost" had the deal to cave on whatever terms he's looking for.  Total all-in AK vs. pocket JJ's move.   Sadly, Day 1-2 his gambles in the 2013-7 draft all crapped out except Simmons.   UFA / cheap FA wise, they were golden (but the risk was nil, too).    Time will tell if he was right to hold out for the moon today.

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wonder how close it was and what was the holdup

Given the rumor that PHI offered Agholor and a 1st for P-Pete (who is 2 years younger and signed reasonably for 2020) - I bet Elway wanted the same type return for Harris.    And let's be 100 percent clear - you don't "almost" have a deal - and then say later you wanted to keep Harris Jr. all along.  That's a BS line if Elway says that.

If PHI / 1st is the scenario, then holding out for a 1st is insane IMO, given how the extra year really matters - and that PHI has to be wondering how badly they want to spend on a CB when they are springing leaks on multiple fronts. 

Smart / greedy hog analogy, ppl.  

Edited by Broncofan