Ominous Josh Allen Comparison

Howler

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

Everyone said this about him. Great arm who lacks accuracy. Accuracy rarely improves. That's juts who he is.

His accuracy was terrible in college too.   Never understood why he was heralded as a first round talent.     

He has his moments where he can make some very nice throws, admittedly, but never with any real consistency.   

42 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

His accuracy was terrible in college too.   Never understood why he was heralded as a first round talent.     

He has his moments where he can make some very nice throws, admittedly, but never with any real consistency.   

GMs see the raw talent in arm strength and think they can fix the rest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

GMs see the raw talent in arm strength and think they can fix the rest.

Yeah...same thing with Christian Hackenberg.    I guess no matter how many times its proven that big armed QBs with poor accuracy usually dont work out, GMs will keep believing they can fix them. 

One of the few constants when evaluating a QB is that accuracy doesn't improve. Everyone knew Josh would be an erratic passer. If he had good accuracy, with his physical tools, he would have been consensus #1 overall pick. But he just doesn't have it, and for that reason will likely be a middling QB that makes some wow plays but isn't ever reliable enough to safely label a franchise QB.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Starless said:

I'll ask this question again because it went unanswered last time: What exactly is the difference between Allen and someone like Logan Thomas, who had ostensibly the same skill set coming into the NFL but actually faced better competition at the college level?

I'm not sure Logan Thomas had the arm strength of Josh Allen, who has a cannon.

Allen could throw the ball through a brick wall. Of course, hitting the brick wall is another story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm not sure Logan Thomas had the arm strength of Josh Allen, who has a cannon.

Allen could throw the ball through a brick wall. Of course, hitting the brick wall is another story.

It's not even the accuracy I'm concerned with first off. He drops back and looks like he's staring into space. When he finally progresses his reads, it's because he's looking for his scrambling route. He doesn't care about becoming a better passer. He'd rather polish and master that god given 6'5 240 lbs, 4.7 forty running ability...