New Player Likeness Legislation Question

Mox

I was browsing this forum and two stories stood out to me.

1. Starting in 2023 California (and my guess the rest of the country by then) will now allow players to be compensated for their likeness.

2. D'Eriq King red-shirting because...reasons.

Then a thought occurred to me. Will a bunch of Seniors in 2022 unnecessarily red-shirt so they can be paid in 2023? Obviously this won't impact top prospects as they would make more in the NFL than they would in college. However, what about the second & third tier guys who may be big local celebs but don't have much of a pro future? What do you guys think?

15 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I was browsing this forum and two stories stood out to me.

1. Starting in 2023 California (and my guess the rest of the country by then) will now allow players to be compensated for their likeness.

2. D'Eriq King red-shirting because...reasons.

Then a thought occurred to me. Will a bunch of Seniors in 2022 unnecessarily red-shirt so they can be paid in 2023? Obviously this won't impact top prospects as they would make more in the NFL than they would in college. However, what about the second & third tier guys who may be big local celebs but don't have much of a pro future? What do you guys think?

I'd recommend asking that here:

Probably not?  Those guys would probably just play their senior season and then get paid locally as the star alumni. I don’t think there’s a big difference in local advertising money for the starting QB at Michigan State versus the guy that started last year. If anything, it might diminish their local standing if the team is terrible while they redshirt.