Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

23 minutes ago, Gmen said:

One injury and people forget how dynamic of a player Saquon is.

He IS NOT currently dynamic. He IS currently hurt. Nick Chubb IS currently better.

He won rookie of the year and led the league in yards from scrimmage last year.

LAST year.

He draws comparisons to Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.

Congrats. So did Ki-Jana Carter and Trent Richardson.

The concern was the Giants were going to miss out on a franchise quarterback by taking Saquon.

They definitely did in 2018

They didn’t.

2 games into a career and you are 100% sure. Congratulations.

One year later, the Giants have one of the most promising offensive backfields in the league. 

Unless Daniel Jones regresses/gets exposed based upon games played/film study and defensive adjustments and Saquon continues to get hurt. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happens in NFL history.

I'm not saying he didn't because I didn't watch the game at all, but did Jones impress last week (legit question)? Simply observing his box score (which obviously isn't super telling), suggests that he had a slightly below average game?

He obviously had a great first start, but his stat line on Sunday is not super impressive facing a WAS D that was 27 in DVOA going into week 4. 

Edited by Soggust

Big Gettleman fan. The Panthers firing him is maybe the worst mistake in franchise history, which is compounded by the fact that we re-hired that idiot Marty Hurney. This is probably the most disconnected I've been from the Panthers because it's hard to root for them when it's so clear that they do not care about winning and care more about loyalty (something Gettleman doesn't care about at all).

He did a great job making the team competitive despite having no cap to work with. And now with Hurney back, we are back to having bottom ten cap space and also bottom ten in players signed for next season. So depressing. There's so much work to be done on the roster and we have a guy who didn't even get an interview for three seasons while he was jobless. Embarrassing Browns-tier management.

Hope Gettleman finds success with Danny Dimes, Saquon, and the new-look defense he's creating.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gmen said:

So what you’re all saying is that instant analysis and reaction is allowed in the offseason, but forbidden in the regular season when there is actual (albeit little) evidence. Ok 🤷‍♂️

It’s funny because as I type this, my coworker (49ers fan) stopped by to let me gloat, after laughing about the Jones pick in the offseason. But on footballsfuture, don’t you dare evaluate until 3 maybe 4 year!??

Again, you need context for this. For people who don't do the scouting thing, I agree that they probably shouldn't be making rash judgments on player picks because they have no idea what they are talking about, but again, interwebz. That's going to happen.  For people who do the scouting thing and have actually formulated a valid opinion (whether right or wrong), you are asking them to change their entire perception over 2 games, and that is not reasonable. They actually did their work, made their evaluations, etc. Their "hot take" was actually based on work that they put in evaluating Jones. 

Secondarily, what's the endgame here? Seriously. You're just going to keep bumping this thread when the giants or Jones has a good game, but the "haters" can do the same thing when they look awful (and those games will come, because even if Jones is legit, he's still a rookie quarterback on a bad team). So every week we just get threads like this bumped saying how great Dave G, Daniel and the Giants are and how great the rebuild is going, or we get it bumped saying how bad they are? This is like bumping a Marcus Mariota thread when he has a good game against the Falcons. Mariota, may I add, had over 800 yards, an 8.7 ypa, a 4:1 td to into ratio, and a 63.5% completion percentage after 3 games. How has that worked out in the end after 4 years? 

You're so determined to crucify people for their draft hot takes (without identifying the difference between people who had contoured and layered opinions on the matter after evaluating jones as a prospect and the ones who just want to mock the giants), that you either refuse to acknowledge your own argumentative inadequacies going on and how they parallel the wrongs done to the giants during the draft, or you simply don't care, at which point, again, what's the point? You're taking the "two wrongs are going to make a right" stance here by doing the same thing that you as a giants fan feel slighted for. This doesn't seem to be about creating meaningful discussion, to be perfectly honest. Let this thing play out. If you are in fact correct, there is going to come a time, and you'll have the last laugh by having a good team with a franchise quarterback in the playoffs year in and year out. Game two of Jones' career, and 18 games into Dave G's "great rebuild" is simply premature. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm not saying he didn't because I didn't watch the game at all, but did Jones impress last week (legit question)? Simply observing his box score (which obviously isn't super telling), suggests that he had a slightly below average game?

He obviously had a great first start, but his stat line on Sunday is not super impressive facing a WAS D that was 27 in DVOA going into week 3. 

The Redskins played a lot of coverage without having to gameplan for Saquon. Jones made the right reads, and got the ball out on time and accurately. He had two picks in the same area of the field, on one it looked like the receiver slipped. He also had a big gain called back. But he processes the field like a seasoned veteran, only two games into his career. He has a great football mind to go along with the physical tools. The sky is the limit for the kid. 

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They definitely did in 2018

it would have been awesome if they traded up to draft lamar jackson last year instead of baltimore. maybe they were hoping he would fall to them (two picks later), but having jackson and barkley on the same offense would have been so exciting to watch. 

33 minutes ago, Soggust said:

He obviously had a great first start, but his stat line on Sunday is not super impressive facing a WAS D that was 27 in DVOA going into week 4. 

Definitely not as impressive as week 1, but that was to be expected. He had one of the best first starts as a rookie QB ever. He played well, made a rookie mistake with one of his picks, made a poor decision/throw that resulted in the other. Outside of those 2 throws, he played well. We had a large lead for the entirety of the game, so he wasn't asked to throw deep really at all. The entire second half was super conservative. 

He showed more encouraging signs though. Made a lot of good reads; Washington was taking away his first read and dropping 7 into zone coverage the majority of the day. He went through 3+ reads multiple times and made good throws. He was on time on all but 1 throw (1 interception). He also continued to make plays with his feet. He converted a 3rd and 13 after escaping 2 tacklers in the pocket, recognizing the middle of the field was wide open, and taking off. He played well.

18 hours ago, Gmen said:

everyone-is-stupid-except-for-me-2711043

Gettleman got a lot of crap for his vision in rebuilding the Giants.  But to this point, he's done a great job.  Most importantly, he picked the right quarterback.  They may be just a 7-9 team this year since it's such a young team, but this is going to be a dynamic offense with Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, and Evan Engram moving forward. 

Thoughts on the Giants?

I mean so far it looks like he has, but let's let him play out the rest of the season first. And yes he deserves credit for this.

But let's be real here - the rest of the Giants roster is not good. The defense is still bad. Gettleman has a long way to go before you can really say he's built a winner and can be praised for doing so.

Edited by Bolts223

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He threw two picks in a game where the offense scored 17 points against one of the worst defenses in the league lol.

The Giants would have beaten the Bills with Daniel Jones. 

• Like 1