Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

Daniel Jones is going to be a new memeworthy Urban Legend.

*Daniel Jones leads the Giants to a 5-3 win over __________________

*Daniel Jones leads the Giants to victory with help from 40 carries by Saquon Barkley.

*Daniel Jones TD leads the Giants to victory with help from defense, who tallies 11 sacks, forces 4 turnovers.

13 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He threw two picks in a game where the offense scored 17 points against one of the worst defenses in the league lol.

Sounds like you’re giving Gettleman credit for letting Collins and Norman walk at $15 million per year, considering they’re a part of the worst defense in the league. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Daniel Jones is going to be a new memeworthy Urban Legend.

*Daniel Jones leads the Giants to a 5-3 win over __________________

*Daniel Jones leads the Giants to victory with help from 40 carries by Saquon Barkley.

*Daniel Jones TD leads the Giants to victory with help from defense, who tallies 11 sacks, forces 4 turnovers.

Lol wut? 

Does Baker Mayfield have more touchdowns than interceptions yet this year?

Looked it up. No. No he doesn’t. 

Edited by Gmen

I would agree that it's still early to sing the praises of Dave Gettleman, definitively; but thus far he has provided hope, and promising signs. As a Giants' fan I am guardedly optimistic. There are reasons to think that the Giants are pointed in the right direction.

Thus far, in his first two drafts, Dave Gettleman has gathered more good or potentially-good NFL players than his predessor, Jerry Reese, provided in his eleven years as GM. I as a fan am happy with the 2017 haul of Saquon Barkley, Will Hernandez, Lorenzo Carter, and B.J. Hill; and the 2018 draft of Daniel Jones, Dexter Lawrence, Deandre Baker, Oshane Ximines, Ryan Connelly, and Darius Slayton. Yes, there are growing pains, and there is no way of deciding if they will all succeed. But there is hope. Hope that we did not have before him.

Compare that to the ghastly Reese Era, the drafted first-round flops, athletic freaks inept at football, mid-round linebacker busts, mid-round offensive linemen busts, non-schematic fits, late-round throw-a-dart gambles; the Black Hole of the Dreaded Third Round.

Again, I would urge caution, but I suggest that the first two years under Gettleman have reason for optimism among those of us fans who suffered through the Jerry Reese Years:

Image result for The Dark Ages
Edited by bzane
  • Like 2

Gosh I hate this thread. All it’s gonna take is us getting stomped by the Vikings and we’ll back to the terrible team we were vs Dallas and Buffalo

Plus, we still have a trash defense. I’ll give him credit for the QB change cos Eli is done. O-line is better. We beat a terrible Skins team missing a lot key players. Gettleman is still an idiot for trading Odell. 

Edited by Kip Smithers
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Gosh I hate this thread. All it’s gonna take is us getting stomped by the Vikings and we’ll back to the terrible team we were vs Dallas and Buffalo

Plus, we still have a trash defense. I’ll give him credit for the QB change cos Eli is done. O-line is better. We beat a terrible Skins team missing a lot key players. Gettleman is still an idiot for trading Odell. 

You might be the most pessimistic fan I’ve encountered.

We might get stomped by the Vikings. This is a young team. But there is a lot of talent on this roster due to good drafting in the past two years. 

Edited by Gmen

2 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Big Gettleman fan. The Panthers firing him is maybe the worst mistake in franchise history, which is compounded by the fact that we re-hired that idiot Marty Hurney. This is probably the most disconnected I've been from the Panthers because it's hard to root for them when it's so clear that they do not care about winning and care more about loyalty (something Gettleman doesn't care about at all).

He did a great job making the team competitive despite having no cap to work with. And now with Hurney back, we are back to having bottom ten cap space and also bottom ten in players signed for next season. So depressing. There's so much work to be done on the roster and we have a guy who didn't even get an interview for three seasons while he was jobless. Embarrassing Browns-tier management.

Hope Gettleman finds success with Danny Dimes, Saquon, and the new-look defense he's creating.

Panthers actually have a complete team post-Gettleman. Good WRs, good secondary, good pass rush, found a franchise LT. The only question mark is quarterback.

If Gettleman were still in Carolina, Benjamin would still be starting games.

Edited by Synopsis

2 hours ago, Synopsis said:

Panthers actually have a complete team post-Gettleman. Good WRs, good secondary, good pass rush, found a franchise LT. The only question mark is quarterback.

If Gettleman were still in Carolina, Benjamin would still be starting games.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he still clamors for the days of Gettleman.  I supported Gettleman at the time, but in hindsight, he made some terrible moves.

* drafting Vernon Butler in the 1st round, despite the team already having the likes of Short, Star, and Love.  Aside from the fact Butler sucks, 

* drafting Kelvin Benjamin, a horrible prospect who had a promising rookie season but proved to be terrible

* drafting Devin Funchess, a horrible prospect who had a promising second half of a season but proved to be terrible

* Matt Kalil contract

* letting Norman out of the tag for absolutely no reason.  Norman would have eventually shown up because he LOVED it here and there was simply no reason to do what he did other than pettiness

* rubbing countless star Panthers players the wrong way.  And what has happened since he's been in New York?  Ticking off multiple star Giants players

Thompson is off to an excellent start to the season, but only because Hurney let Davis leave and we switched to a 3-4.  

He made some solid moves, don't get me wrong, but "worst mistake in franchise history" is a reach. 

With that said, he's gotten a bad rep in New York.  From an outside perspective, his moves have been unfairly scrutinized at times.  And I get what Gmen is saying.  Nobody had an issue with everyone stating as if it was a fact that Barkley over Darnold was a mistake, and that Daniel Jones over Haskins was a terrible decision. 

Ultimately though, we should let the players play before we start writing their careers for them.  It's fair to predict Haskins > Jones or whatever, but so many people here acted like it was a guarantee.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

I'm not saying he didn't because I didn't watch the game at all, but did Jones impress last week (legit question)? Simply observing his box score (which obviously isn't super telling), suggests that he had a slightly below average game?

He obviously had a great first start, but his stat line on Sunday is not super impressive facing a WAS D that was 27 in DVOA going into week 4. 

PFF's take:

PICK NO. 6: QB DANIEL JONES, NEW YORK GIANTS

2019 overall grade: 63.4

Jones came back down to earth a bit in Week 4 after last week’s comeback win, and this game served as a reminder that he’s still just a rookie and has a ways to go. He struggled throughout the game, completing just one pass beyond 10 yards, and he ended the NFC clash with three turnover-worthy plays and zero big-time throws to his name.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-grading-all-32-first-round-picks-after-week-4-of-the-2019-nfl-season

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I’m not sure one struggles throughout the game and still completes 75% of his passes. I’d hate to see the reviews of the quarterbacks the Giants should have taken in last year’s draft, or Dwayne Haskins. Jones took what the defense gave him, and they gave him underneath throws. He didn’t have to be a hero this week because this game wasn’t even close. His YPA is still 10th in the league. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

I’m not sure one struggles throughout the game and still completes 75% of his passes. I’d hate to see the reviews of the quarterbacks the Giants should have taken in last year’s draft, or Dwayne Haskins. Jones took what the defense gave him, and they gave him underneath throws. He didn’t have to be a hero this week because this game wasn’t even close. His YPA is still 10th in the league. 

Sure you can. Completing most of your passes isn't indicative of making big time throws. Doesn't mean you don't fumble or don't get sacked. Doesn't account for air yards. I haven't seen the Giants All 22 or a review of the game, so I don't know what Washington's defense was doing. However, it's also possible that Daniel just had conservative play either by his own accord or design. Not surprising for a rookie QB his entire first year. Regardless, it's a two game sample size. Matt Leinart looked decent in his first two games. Even RGIII looked dynamite as a rookie. Wouldn't crown Jones as a franchise quarterback yet. Same with Minshew, who has played great. As far as Gettleman is concerned, his hasn't turned around the Giants at all. Jury is still out on his operation big time. 

Edited by PapaShogun

8 hours ago, Gmen said:

So what you’re all saying is that instant analysis and reaction is allowed in the offseason, but forbidden in the regular season when there is actual (albeit little) evidence. Ok 🤷‍♂️

It’s funny because as I type this, my coworker (49ers fan) stopped by to let me gloat, after laughing about the Jones pick in the offseason. His actual quote “It’s exciting. You actually have a franchise quarterback”.  But on footballsfuture, don’t you dare evaluate until 3, maybe 4 years! 

You’re old enough to have a co-worker? I pegged you as being 14 years old. That’s bad.