Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

@MKnight82 One thing I will say that was more impressive in the Washington game than the Tampa Bay game from DJ was his processing speed, which is off the charts. I did not pick up on this from his college tape (maybe it wasn't even displayed there. I don't know), but he is so fast at recognizing coverage breakdowns. I don't know how his brain works, but it almost looks like he is deducing coverage on the backside of plays based on the coverage and numbers he is seeing on his first read.

He did it twice off the top of my head in that game on Sunday. On his touchdown pass, he went through 3 reads to his wide receivers on the strong side, which simultaneously held the backside LB more towards the center of the field rather than him taking on Gallman coming out of the backfield. What's really cool about this play is that he starts his throwing motion to Gallman almost at exactly the same time he turns to look at him. He knows just from what he saw on the other side of the play that Gallman is open in the flat. The LB had no chance to make a read and get over there. Sure, it helps that Washington is listless on defense and the LB should have been on Gallman in man rather than reading DJ's eyes, but he made the right read quickly and it resulted in a touchdown. The other play was a 3rd down I think. I don't remember the specifics because I only saw it live and once more on film, but DJ reads zone pre-snap, sees zone immediately post snap, except for the left side corner jumps to man and takes I believe either the slot receiver or Engram lined up inline; whoever it was, he notices the breakdown in coverage. DJ immediately swings the ball into the flat to Gallman, as he knows that portion of the field has been vacated. His processing speed is super impressive.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Instant reaction to the Daniel Jones selection

“LMAO” - FF collectively on draft day.

“Well, hold up now. Slow your roll” - FF after Jones looks like a legit NFL quarterback 

Funny how that works

That's the draft forum thread....a lot of those people may have had evals on Jones (you know, actually put the work in) to come up with a vastly different opinion on his draft value. That's probably the worst thread that you can bring into this discussion. Certainly not everyone did, but a lot of those people are draft guys. Its not like a lot of those same posters didn't crush the Raiders for taking Ferrell...again, in part due to their own evaluations. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's the draft forum thread....a lot of those people may have had evals on Jones (you know, actually put the work in) to come up with a vastly different opinion on his draft value. That's probably the worst thread that you can bring into this discussion. Certainly not everyone did, but a lot of those people are draft guys. Its not like a lot of those same posters didn't crush the Raiders for taking Ferrell...again, in part due to their own evaluations. 

Yea you can really tell. A lot of well thought out responses and opinions for a good five pages there.

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

Yea can really tell. A lot of well thought out responses and opinions for a good five pages there.

Sure, it's not like people poured their thoughts and opinions into dozens of thread in that forum for hundreds of pages. How dare they elect to not post multiple summary paragraphs in a game day thread that moves rather quickly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sure, it's not like people poured their thoughts and opinions into dozens of thread in that forum for hundreds of pages. How dare they elect to not post multiple summary paragraphs in a game day thread that moves rather quickly. 

The vast majority of posters don’t do their own scouting. They might take some rankings and shuffle them around, but it’s mostly group think. I think it’s pretty arrogant to LMAOOO at any draft pick considering it’s such a crap shoot. Gettleman was a part of 6 Super Bowl teams. You are an amateur scout. Who gets the benefit of the doubt? If a quarterback you had ranked as a fourth round prospect goes #6 overall, you should reconsider your scouting approach. If Warren Buffet invests into a company you thought was going bankrupt, you should reconsider your investment approach. 

Just now, Gmen said:

The vast majority of posters don’t do their own scouting. They might take some rankings and shuffle them around, but it’s mostly group think. I think it’s pretty arrogant to LMAOOO at any draft pick considering it’s such a crap shoot. Gettleman was a part of 6 Super Bowl teams. You are an amateur scout. Who gets the benefit of the doubt? If a quarterback you had ranked as a fourth round prospect goes #6 overall, you should reconsider your scouting approach. If Warren Buffet invests into a company you thought was going bankrupt, you should reconsider your investment approach. 

You posted the thread from the draft forum. A lot of those guys do. That's why they are in the draft forum. But by all means, try and go after Jrry again saying stuff like that. 

And yeah, Davie G's draft history is beyond reproach. He's flawless. Also, why are you using the hyperbole that everyone had him as a 4th round prospect. Now you're just trying to jump up your "woe is me" sympathy quotient. There are plenty of people who had him with maybe a first / second round grade, first rounder, second rounder. And sure, there are people who had him as a fourth rounder. Any of those would elicit similar responses being taken at 6 (if you need proof, check the Ferrell reaction). As for this part in particular: 

12 minutes ago, Gmen said:

If a quarterback you had ranked as a fourth round prospect goes #6 overall, you should reconsider your scouting approach.

Why? I didn't have Mariota or Trubisky with first round grades. Plenty of others I'm sure didn't as well. They went #2 overall...the GMs don't look like they are winning that right now. I know just about everyone didn't have a first round grade on Ponder, yet he went top 12. Those "amateur" scouts certainly won that one. 

Dave G being compared to Warren Buffet....

You're  so thirsty....just so, so thirsty lol. He looks good, so far. Take solace in that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I love the "He's a GM, you're sitting on your couch so you can't have an opinion" takes. 

Everyone can have an opinion. Not all opinions are created equally. The thing that makes amateur scouts opinions less valuable is they never get to sit down and interview a player. They never get to talk to his coaches, etc. I think Gettleman recognized Jones has what it takes between the ears to be a franchise quarterback before anyone else. Him being 6’5”, 225 with a good arm, athleticism, and toughness probably didn’t hurt either. Amateurs got hung up on his stats at Duke. Amateur mistake. 

And it’s the same thing with investing. I can download Robinhood, pick a bunch of stocks, track their earnings reports, and do my own investing. But investors like Warren Buffet, in addition to being smarter and having more experience, just have more information. When they go to invest in a company, they know that company top to bottom. So when Buffett invests big in a company, the amateur investor’s ear’s perk up. 

Edited by Gmen

8 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I love the "He's a GM, you're sitting on your couch so you can't have an opinion" takes. 

Yeah, it's the one thing that I'm really trying to push against here. If you want to push back against the trolls, I get it. I hate trying to essentially denigrate the opinion and work of the people who take the draft seriously and put in the work to formulate valid opinions (whether they end up being right or wrong) just because. It's one of the go-to moves as well. In the last thread, someone posted a video from youtube about a guy breaking down Daniel Jones (not completely in a positive light), and the response was basically, "he's just a dude posting videos on youtube, doesn't mean anything". As if GMs are flawless and the "amateur" scouting community has worthless opinions that are never right. 

• Like 1

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankings-highest-graded-rookies-in-the-nfl-through-week-4

4. DI Dexter Lawrence, New York Giants – 77.6

After a rather inefficient Week 1 when he recorded not a single pressure, Lawrence has gathered three pressures in each of his last three games. Over the course of the last three weeks of play, Lawrence ranks 13th among interior defensive linemen in PFF grade and second in pressure rate at 17.3%, trailing only Calais Campbell. The Giants sixth-overall pick Daniel Jones may be garnering more attention from the media, but New York’s 17th overall pick (Lawrence) should be getting more as PFF’s fourth highest-graded rookie.

Good: Watching Daniel Jones play like an undrafted free agent 2 weeks in a row leading his team to a net 25 points at home on 20 drives with 2 TDs and 3 picks.

• 73.2 rating at home against a joke team and a team that was floundering
    • I'm not sure if he was good on passes of less than 10 air yards again today :ph34r:

QB ratings against DC this year:

• Jones 78.0 in NY
  • Brady 106.1 in DC
  • Dak 123.5 in DC
  • Wentz 117.6 in Philly
  • Trubisky 116.5 in DC

QB ratings against Minnesota this year:

• Jones 65.9 in NY
  • Ryan 85.8 in Minnesota
  • Rodgers 101.2 in Green Bay
  • Carr 103.7 in Minnesota
  • Chase Daniel 101.4 in relief in Chicago
  • Trubisky 70.1 on 3 passes before getting hurt in Chicago

Better: Seeing  New York-centric puff stories to the right of the bad box scores about how great he is playing. xD

Lawrence was a force of nature today. He anchored that line that gave up 200+ on the ground at 6.7 a pop.

• They also dominated in the pass game in holding Cousins to a 138.6 rating 300+ yards, and 2 TDs.
    • Maybe Lawrence got a meaningless pressure or 2 in a blowout... I can't wait to find out how awesome he still is from PFF!
  • I think the other 1st rounder had good coverage on at least 1 play too!

17 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Good: Watching Daniel Jones play like an undrafted free agent 2 weeks in a row leading his team to a net 25 points at home on 20 drives with 2 TDs and 3 picks.

• I'm not sure if he was good on passes of less than 10 air yards again today :ph34r:

• Jones 78.0 in NY
  • Brady 106.1 in DC
  • Dak 123.5 in DC
  • Wentz 117.6 in Philly
  • Trubisky 116.5 in DC

• Jones 65.9 in NY
  • Ryan 85.8 in Minnesota

Better: Seeing  New York-centric puff stories to the right of the bad box scores about how great he is playing. xD

Lawrence was a force of nature today. He anchored that line that gave up 200+ on the ground at 6.7 a pop.

• They also dominated in the pass game in holding Cousins to a 138.6 rating 300+ yards, and 2 TDs.
    • Maybe Lawrence got a meaningless pressure or 2 in a blowout... I can't wait to find out how awesome he still is from PFF!

In interest of Fairness, Lawrence did have a sack (or half a sack) that was negated via penalty. 

17 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

• Jones 78.0 in NY
  • Brady 106.1 in DC
  • Dak 123.5 in DC
  • Wentz 117.6 in Philly
  • Trubisky 116.5 in DC

• Jones 65.9 in NY
  • Ryan 85.8 in Minnesota

Imagine spending this much time cherry picking stats to try and prove a rival teams' first round picks aren't actually that good.