Week 1: The Other Games

The Gnat

Didn't see a thread for this on the first page.

That was a surprising loss for the Patriots last night, but with the injuries that they had, Hightower and Amendola, I feel less surprised by it. This Patriots team needs to find their back-ups who can play which is what other Pats teams have done.

That said, it was a great performance by the Chiefs. Hunt looked very good after the first carry and Hill was explosive as always. I think we'll be seeing the Chiefs put up a lot of points this season.

You know, I've believed for sometime that Alex Smith is a much better quarterback then he's given credit for.  He was pretty darn good last night!

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Glad the Patriots lost, Chiefs could be fun to watch this year. 

The Chiefs have always seemed to match up pretty well with the Patriots, so I'm not sure I'd take that much out of it...they'll still have the tendency to lose to a team(s) that they shouldn't...i.e. the Jets in Week 13.

Last year, they lost to both the Bucs and Titans at home, the year before it was the Bears at home, the year before they lit up the Patriots and then lost to the 49ers a week later.  It happens all the time.  The Chiefs are the AFC version of the Vikings....good enough to tease you, but never good enough to actually take home the bacon.    

27 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Haha that is good! 

Well...the Chiefs cooked the Vikings bacon in Super Bowl IV.  The first time the Vikings made me cry...but, alas, not the last!  :(

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Just because a QB normally has a game management game plan doesn't mean they are only a game manager. Granted, I think it's been a while coming for Smith, because he seemed limited to that for a while.

People should keep that in mind about the QBs in purple.

It was a funny thing, wasn't it? How all those posts saying "NE will repeat as champs, season over" suddenly dried up - and were promptly replaced by the "see, I knew they were going to struggle" narrative? I personally was on the fence because while Belichick can prepare and scheme like no one else, issues at LB and DE can still cost you against explosive offenses. Which, to my surprise, was exactly what Alex Smith and the Chiefs looked like last night. (Never thought I'd be able to put "Alex Smith" and "explosive" in the same sentence but here we are.) And what an inspiring performance by Kareem Hunt. Hats off to that guy.

I'd be crazy to count out Tom Brady and the Patriots after one bad game, but I will say they need to do a lot better than last night if they're going to get anywhere near our house in February.

The Patriots will be fine.  At the end of the season, this game will be all but forgotten...in reference back to that 2014 season, after the Chiefs blew out the Patriots (who had destroyed the Vikings 2 weeks prior) and Brady was supposedly on his decline, they reeled off 7 wins in a row, en route to a 12-4 record, and the proceeded to win the Super Bowl over the Seahawks.  They''ll be fine.  

Archived