Reality of Colbert.

VigilantZombie

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

No but Brandon Hunt, the likely future GM of Pittsburgh could

Unless they told him he will be getting Colberts job in a few years.  Thats how they kept Keith Butler here for so long when he couldve had a DC job alot sooner.

Beyond that, there will be several other candidates for the open GM spots.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

No but Brandon Hunt, the likely future GM of Pittsburgh could

Colbert is said to be on a year to year contract, so he could walk after the season. I hope he goes, and Hunt is the new GM. 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Unless they told him he will be getting Colberts job in a few years.  Thats how they kept Keith Butler here for so long when he couldve had a DC job alot sooner.

this is what I am hoping, and as a result Hunt stays while colbert and his 50% success on RD1 picks goes. 

Some people are overrating Hunt based on very limited knowledge of him.

Not saying he cant or wont be a good GM someday, but we dont have alot to go off of.  He could just easily be a dud, or just very average.

If we were to hire him, so be it.  If he were to walk, so be it.  Either way, Ill wait until he has been in an official GM role for a few years before I really judge his abilty to do the job.

There are similar up and comers in other teams front offices.  I would prefer we kept him, but I wont lose any sleep if he leaves.  Maybe if he ends up being great...but not before.

• Like 1

We should at least be grateful (now anyways) that Hunt helped Minkah land here, also remember the Davis injury having a major role in this. Without either, it would be a middle of the pack defence or worse , the stats tell that.  I don't know for a fact if colbert is to blame for many of the bad draft picks and decisions,  only time will  possibly tell once he is gone. Hunt might have got the Minkah trade finalized , but he also might fail on more draft picks as well. And if he were to say the team is run by ben and then 52 children..... we will have a thread about him, the reality of Hunt>:(

Here is my honest-to-God opinion of Kevin Colbert and anybody who has been around who have seen me post on this topic knows what I'm about to say is true. I have been a major critic of Kevin Colbert and yeah there are definitely areas where I think he has completely failed as a general manager and I'm not sure I would lose a ton of sleep if you were not our general manager anymore. Having said that I would prefer that he not be R general manager because he chose to retire rather than watching him go somewhere else because he has not been anywhere close to the worst general manager in the league he has done some good things I do think that our front office and  Our scouting department needs somewhat of an overhaul but We don't know enough about Brandon Hunt  To automatically assume that if we were to lose Kevin Colbert that things get better or that things even stay as good as they are now

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Here is my honest-to-God opinion of Kevin Colbert and anybody who has been around who have seen me post on this topic knows what I'm about to say is true. I have been a major critic of Kevin Colbert and yeah there are definitely areas where I think he has completely failed as a general manager and I'm not sure I would lose a ton of sleep if you were not our general manager anymore. Having said that I would prefer that he not be R general manager because he chose to retire rather than watching him go somewhere else because he has not been anywhere close to the worst general manager in the league he has done some good things I do think that our front office and  Our scouting department needs somewhat of an overhaul but We don't know enough about Brandon Hunt  To automatically assume that if we were to lose Kevin Colbert that things get better or that things even stay as good as they are now

As soon as Minkah was granted trade requests, I was expecting the steelers to be involved.  Instead, it took injury to Davis and Hunt to really make that happen. Other teams have had worse for GM's and drafting, but the only way we will know how much colbert deserves credit is once he is gone.  Same can be said for players,  and coaches.  

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

As soon as Minkah was granted trade requests, I was expecting the steelers to be involved.  Instead, it took injury to Davis and Hunt to really make that happen. Other teams have had worse for GM's and drafting, but the only way we will know how much colbert deserves credit is once he is gone.  Same can be said for players,  and coaches.  

I'm not actually sure that it's true that Pittsburgh wasn't making phone calls about mango if it's bat**** prior to the Davis injury here's the issue the dolphins wanted to trade rashad Jones to us and not  Minkah.  I think what happened was that when Sean Davis did get injured we increased our offer I could be wrong but I have a feeling that is what happened and when we lost another game or 2 Miami said oh yes this is gonna be a top 5 pick let's trade him here because they didn't give minka Fitzpatrick or the Pittsburgh Steelers the respect that they deserved

I will always respect what Colbert was for us for many years....was a great GM.

At this point, its time to move on.  You could definitely do worse than him, but I feel like we need a new voice at the helm to reinvigorate this franchise going forward.  Colbert isnt going to be here much longer either way IMO, and I think replacing him within the next 2 years is necessary as we move into the post-Ben era.