News and Notes W5: Hopeful prognosis on Tyron Smith

Matts4313

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Well, JG's seat was and is going to remain hot no matter what. He has to get some big results. I don't know if it's necessarily SB or bust, but NFCC game is probably a minimum requirement for him to keep his job. 

I would assume Kris Richard or maybe Doug Nussmeir take over if something happens to Red mid season. 

I know everyone is going to be pushing for Lincoln Riley to be HC, but I would push hardest for Chris Peterson personally. You can probably retain Moore and he should have a good relationship with CP already.  

That wasnt even the interesting part of the video?!??? 

That was just silly hottake clickbait. The interesting part ws Mangini discussing the play calling and formations.

2 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Well the bolded part is just scary and depressing. Last year it was the other way around.

Watch the first ~1m of that video. Dak was literally checking into run plays because we had a light box. Which, as Mangini says, is exactly what you expect your QB to do. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That wasnt even the interesting part of the video?!??? 

That was just silly hottake clickbait. The interesting part ws Mangini discussing the play calling and formations.

I found the whole "NO was more emotionally ready to play" more interesting than the correct formation/calls. As I said, nobody should be beating up this team to that extent in the run game. Don't care who they are. 

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I found the whole "NO was more emotionally ready to play" more interesting than the correct formation/calls. As I said, nobody should be beating up this team to that extent in the run game. Don't care who they are. 

Yeah. Looked to me like we turned soft after 3 weeks of beating down teams tbh. We didn't have that edge on offense.

https://theathletic.com/1256274/2019/10/01/decoding-kellen-moore-week-4-cowboys-offensive-line-dominated-by-saints-front/

Bob Sturm is also placing the majority of the blame on the players.

Pro: It appears boy genius didnt get out coached. Multiple sources now have come to the same conclusion - the plays he called should have worked.

Con: Many of us believe you win in the trenches. Much like last year, this could really hurt us. Is this because of Colombo? Is it because we overrated the players? Was it just a bad game?

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

https://theathletic.com/1256274/2019/10/01/decoding-kellen-moore-week-4-cowboys-offensive-line-dominated-by-saints-front/

Pro: It appears boy genius didnt get out coached. Multiple sources now have come to the same conclusion - the plays he called should have worked.

Con: Many of us believe you win in the trenches. Much like last year, this could really hurt us. Is this because of Colombo? Is it because we overrated the players? Was it just a bad game?

Thats the painful thing about loss weeks. You gotta wait the whole week again to find out these answers

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Football is a momentum game.  Things snowball.  Turnovers are huge momentum changers.  We had 3 of them.  And, don’t discount being on the road.  It forced us into silent counts.  The saints DL was flying off the line.  And, the saints dominated TOP.  You add those 3 things together, and it’s a tough game to win.  We had chances.  I would like to see the outcome without the TOs... especially if it led to us having sustained scoring drives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Maybe Moore didnt call an awful game after all. I just watched an interview with Cooper and he said the same thing. The Saints were playing to stop our passing game. Dropping back, light boxes, playing zone. They dared us to run. We thought we had the tools to make them pay.

Screw this idiot

9 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Football is a momentum game.  Things snowball.  Turnovers are huge momentum changers.  We had 3 of them.  And, don’t discount being on the road.  It forced us into silent counts.  The saints DL was flying off the line.  And, the saints dominated TOP.  You add those 3 things together, and it’s a tough game to win.  We had chances.  I would like to see the outcome without the TOs... especially if it led to us having sustained scoring drives.

Better ref crew...I mean, 12-1? Little fishy. 

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

This, this 1,000 times. Take away the TO we likely win...not in blowout fashion but probably pretty easily.  Dak hits 1 pass early on...Cobb catches 1 pass later on and even with the TOs we win. The sky is not falling, not even close.  Bad games happen...rather it happen now than week 15. 

Also, JG is not getting fired mid-season unless we some how rattle off about 5 straight losses.  

• Like 1

Can we go back to Dak's comments about not having to be the highest paid QB after the Skins game?

Are we sure he was being genuine? Why is this deal not done? I feel like the apparent impasse in negotiations should be raising more questions than it is.

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

As I posted shortly after the game ended. The O-line sleep walked thought the game. They looked lazy and disinterested.

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Can we go back to Dak's comments about not having to be the highest paid QB after the Skins game?

Are we sure he was being genuine? Why is this deal not done? I feel like the apparent impasse in negotiations should be raising more questions than it is.

Doesn't seem like something that anyone wants to discuss during the meat of the season.  The bye week would make the most sense...if nothing after that then both sides could be posturing to see how the season plays out. 

9 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Doesn't seem like something that anyone wants to discuss during the meat of the season.  The bye week would make the most sense...if nothing after that then both sides could be posturing to see how the season plays out. 

I guess the bye week makes sense as a timeframe to revisit negotiations. Still, I feel like there's only two explanations here- either we haven't meaningfully upped our $30m/yr offer from the summer, or Dak lied about this on the record. I hope it's the former. To me, the latter would beg the question of to what extent Dak's public persona is crafted, and it would be pretty disappointing to learn that the answer is "significantly." He's just a little too perfect in terms of always saying the right thing, you know? There is no journalistic integrity to any of this- I just think there are questions to be asked here.