News and Notes W5: Hopeful prognosis on Tyron Smith

Matts4313

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

https://theathletic.com/1256274/2019/10/01/decoding-kellen-moore-week-4-cowboys-offensive-line-dominated-by-saints-front/

Bob Sturm is also placing the majority of the blame on the players.

Pro: It appears boy genius didnt get out coached. Multiple sources now have come to the same conclusion - the plays he called should have worked.

Con: Many of us believe you win in the trenches. Much like last year, this could really hurt us. Is this because of Colombo? Is it because we overrated the players? Was it just a bad game?

I mentioned Colombo potentially not being the answer in the game ball thread. I think there is some merit to it. The OL has been inconsistent for the better part of the last 2+ seasons. I do think we overrate our players as well. Seem to recall many pundits calling Dallas a 8-9 win team. I tend to think that is more indicative of Redball than player talent though. 

All I know is it's frustrating. Seems like this team is always on the cusp of doing great things, but for a number of reasons (some beyond their control...Dez caught it) can't get over the hump.

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

I mentioned Colombo potentially not being the answer in the game ball thread. I think there is some merit to it. The OL has been inconsistent for the better part of the last 2+ seasons. I do think we overrate our players as well. Seem to recall many pundits calling Dallas a 8-9 win team. I tend to think that is more indicative of Redball than player talent though. 

All I know is it's frustrating. Seems like this team is always on the cusp of doing great things, but for a number of reasons (some beyond their control...Dez caught it) can't get over the hump.

I like Garett to a point, and I know the players have always had his back...but I can't help but imagine what a change could do for this team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

https://theathletic.com/1256274/2019/10/01/decoding-kellen-moore-week-4-cowboys-offensive-line-dominated-by-saints-front/

Bob Sturm is also placing the majority of the blame on the players.

Pro: It appears boy genius didnt get out coached. Multiple sources now have come to the same conclusion - the plays he called should have worked.

Con: Many of us believe you win in the trenches. Much like last year, this could really hurt us. Is this because of Colombo? Is it because we overrated the players? Was it just a bad game?

Fine no argument there. But when those "plays" didn't work, it's imperative that a good OC adjusts them for plays that work. Like more passing on  first down and/or PA passes. 18 carries for 35 yds??? many on 1st downs. The blame needs to go all-around, players, OC and HC. D Coaches for allowing the long time consuming drives as well. 

But saying Kellen Moore shouldn't get blame is wrong IMO.

Edited by resilient part 2

16 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Thats the painful thing about loss weeks. You gotta wait the whole week again to find out these answers

I really believe our offense suffered because of not having Gallup. Gallup gives us 3 above average receivers that we can move around and create mismatches. Same thing happened to the Rams last year when they lost Kupp, their passing game just wasnt the same.

I really like Amari but he has consistency issues and his performance tends to lack against high quality receivers. His best trait is getting separation on his routes and if he isnt getting that, he is in trouble. He has average hands and doesnt play the ball well in the air

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

I really believe our offense suffered because of not having Gallup. Gallup gives us 3 above average receivers that we can move around and create mismatches. Same thing happened to the Rams last year when they lost Kupp, their passing game just wasnt the same.

I really like Amari but he has consistency issues and his performance tends to lack against high quality receivers. His best trait is getting separation on his routes and if he isnt getting that, he is in trouble. He has average hands and doesnt play the ball well in the air

Losing Gallup is very key.

He punishes teams for double covering Coop & it gives opportunity for others players to do some damage in space against lesser depth in other team. Even when we faced the Saints last year, Gallup had a big play or two and I can only imagine that being the difference of us winning and losing this past sunday.