GDT Week 5: Bills @ Titans Music City Mirage

Trentwannabe

An early AFC Battle with potential playoff implications.

Last 5 games:
2018: Titans 12 @ Bills 13
2015: Bills 14 @ Titans 13
2012: Titans 35 @ Bills 34
2011: Titans 23 @ Bills 17
2009: Bills 17 @ Titans 41

The last 3 games have been a 1 point victory for the winner. 

Titans leads all time series 28-18.

Same faces, new places:
Bills starting LG Quinton Spain spent the first 4 years of his career in Tennessee starting 48 games.

Fun Facts:
Bills are 2-0 against Marcus Mariota.
Marcus Mariota has never thrown a TD against Buffalo. He's been sacked 4 times and thrown 2 picks. 
TJ Yeldon's second best receiving game came against the Titans (79 yards) in 2015.
Mariota is 0-2 vs a McDermott defense (2015). He also threw 0 TD's and 1 INT in that game.

The Bills stats:
Offense yards/game: 9th
Offense Yards/play: 16th
Offense Rush yards/game: 4th
Offense Pass yards/game: 19th

Defense Yards/game: 2nd
Defense Yards/play: 3rd
Defense Rush yards/game: 7th
Defense Pass yards/game: 4th

The Titans Stats:
Offense yards/game: 26th
Offense Yards/play: 26th
Offense Rush yards/game: 12th
Offense Pass yards/game: 28th

Defense Yards/game: 14th
Defense Yards/play: 11th
Defense Rush yards/game: 15th
Defense Pass yards/game: 14th

Analysis:

Are the Bills going to be the Bills of old and squander a fast start? Or will they be a "good team" who is pissed after a loss and takes it out on their opponent? IMO this is the real test of the season. Buffalo beat three inferior teams in different ways and unfortunately a Super Bowl performance from the D wasn't enough to overcome an Oprah style turnover giveaway last week. How does this team respond? Can the coaches keep them focused with the bye week looming? Who starts at QB? These are all questions that will be answered soon enough and should give us a real good look at where this team is.

Buffalo's offense, mainly Josh Allen, did not come to play in week 4. Whether he was trying to do too much or not seeing what was given to him, it was an all around brutal day for Allen outside of one drive, and a day that ultimately ended with him in concussion protocol. Barkley played OK in relief but the Pats defense and our putrid right side of the line was too much for him. Frank Gore became just the 4th player to surpass 15k rushing yards in his best game as a Bill. Having Singletary back and Gore chugging along gives the Bills a great chance to come out with a victory Sunday.

Buffalo's defense speaks for itself. The Goat couldn't do squat against them, a trend for two 5 games really. Do they continue to buy in and make life incredibly difficult for Mariota and company? I think so. Buffalo likely goes in with a similar game-plan to the Jets and Giants game. Sell out to stop the run and clamp down on short to intermediate throws with their elite secondary. They'll force Mariota to beat them. 

If Allen plays I think the Bills will rely heavily on the run and some well time play action passes to John Brown and Rambo Knox. If Barkley plays I still expect a lot of runs but also Beasley to be more involved and targeting CB Adoree Jackson. I'll stick with history and say it is another one point victory. The Bills move to 4-1 and make it 3 straight against the Titans. Bills 14-13.

I expect a different start with Barkley at QB. I expect them to be dependent on the run game and short passes by having the wr work for the yards rather then going deep like allen has been doing. I would like to see more Yeldon in the passing game as well as Knox both showed flashes the last 2 weeks and havent been given the opportunity to do more of it. Im annoyed by Gore being able to run the ball so well and Daboll only ran the ball 18 times against New England (1 was a designed qb sneak). It was working and Gore needs to see more of that. I would like to see both Allen and Singletary dress but not be used unless have to in this situation. If barkley struggles then you may need to look at bringing him in. If yeldon has issues then singletary needs to see the field. I would sit Zay Jones as a healthy scratch, hes doing no one any favors by being on the field so why squander the roster spot. Let Roberts come in on some plays to replace him or better yet bring up Duke and see what he can do. I truly think that Beans should be on the phone with Cincy about bringing Green in, they have the bye week and he is expected to be ready week 6-7 so why not have a guy who can fight for the ball like Aj and I do not think it will take a 1st rd pick to get him at this point.

On the flip side the bills d needs to stop henry you shut him down and force mariota to throw the ball then the titans will be in trouble. Watching the Jags Thursday night game Mariota is not that good when facing a tough defense which the bills have. Atlanta D made Mariota look like a super star and that is because they are horrible, he shouldnt be seeing those kind of numbers this week.

Special teams need to be prepared to make adjustments because if I were the titans I would be running the same play the Patriots ran on that blocked punt to try and get the same results.

21 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I didn’t even know there were stages lol so is he on track to play Sunday?

Yes. Stage 5 would be getting fully cleared which can only happen after he has practiced in stage 4 and no symptoms reappear or occur again. 

I am certainly no DR (though I work with some) but I would say he is at a 80% chance for Sunday. If he practices all week I'd say 99%

If he does get a shot at playing, Daboll needs to limit him from running the ball and having to scramble. Which means quick passes, none of these long developing plays that take time to get guys open. I would like to see more rushes too, 17 for gore last week averaging 6+ yds a carry that needs to be put around 20-25 and if singletary is back then that will add to it. Im hoping they go with a 70/30 split rush to carry this week and use yeldon and knox more as it worked against the pats. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

If he does get a shot at playing, Daboll needs to limit him from running the ball and having to scramble. Which means quick passes, none of these long developing plays that take time to get guys open. I would like to see more rushes too, 17 for gore last week averaging 6+ yds a carry that needs to be put around 20-25 and if singletary is back then that will add to it. Im hoping they go with a 70/30 split rush to carry this week and use yeldon and knox more as it worked against the pats. 

The issue isn't whether Daboll calls shorter stuff but rather whether Josh will see it or not. The first 3 games he did more consistently but for a variety of reasons against NE he pushed the ball downfield far too often and really didn't take what the Pats were giving him. 

I agree 100% about running though. Gore and Singletary are a great 1-2 and the Bills OL actually run blocks fairly well. 

Hoping Singletary plays. The dynamic he brings is so obvious after being without him, even with his limited touches.

Since I'm always thinking about prospects, imagine adding another back next year in a loaded RB class. Swift/Etienne + Singletary would be electrifying.

Edited by NickChowaniec

Last year was silly. A practice squad player who got cut the next day dropped a TD to take the lead in the 4th LOL. We had like 4 or 5 BIG drops last year. And I think Marcus was still dealing with that had. Our starting WR and Slot guy last year? One is traded and cant make the active roster and the other is our 4th WR. And Lewan is coming back

You guys have a good defense. Should be fun. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Last year was silly. A practice squad player who got cut the next day dropped a TD to take the lead in the 4th LOL. We had like 4 or 5 BIG drops last year. And I think Marcus was still dealing with that had. Our starting WR and Slot guy last year? One is traded and cant make the active roster and the other is our 4th WR. And Lewan is coming back

You guys have a good defense. Should be fun. 

I hear yeah. Our offense is completely different. Josh Allen was just starting his 4th game and Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes were his top two targets. 4 of those 5 OL are not even on the team anymore.