Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Making the thread a little earlier this week since I'm having 49ers withdrawals with the bye week lol.

The Browns are obviously very talented and played a good game against the Ravens. They are doing this while facing some injuries to contributors. 

So all last game everyone was worried about how Skule would hold up, but he held up okay.....HOWEVER, huge difference going from Dupree to Garrett, who is pretty much as good as any edge rusher in the game. Will be very interesting to see how Shanahan game plans against that mismatch.

Our run game has been awesome the last two games and will need to be effective again. Coleman should return which will be a big help in the passing game, but he's not as good of a runner as either Breida or Mostert.

I'm actually more excited to see Hurd make his debut. Shanny can get a little creative there and I want to see if he can become a RZ threat.

Pettis has been very quiet through three games but made the biggest play to win the game last week. Hoping that gets him going and he can regain some of his confidence.

On the other side, Spoon will be out and that is a big blow no other way around it. He was playing like our best defender....Heck, he was playing like our best player period. The Browns have a lot of weapons and OBJ has yet to really get going as well. Uncle Sherm has been lights out the last two weeks but all eyes will be on Moseley who is likely to get the call to replace Spoon. I expect the Browns to test him on some double moves. 

I don't really have a good feel for this game, but think Jimmy G and the crew will make enough plays to pull it out at the end again.

SF 24 CLE 20

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

Not feeling this game at all. Don't know why. I just feel like it's a game where they play at their peak rather than their valley. Maybe the injury to spoon is weighing on me. Back to back weeks of losing Staley and spoon is bad for my mental space tbh

• Like 2

Cleveland's offensive line play has been bad. Bosa and Ford need a big night trying to get to Mayfield. The 49ers will be well rested, and get an extra day for the game at home. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't win this game. Especially, with a divisional game with LA on the horizon. 

• Like 3

Very simple recipe to win this game.

Get Baker to move his feet. He is a fundamental mess and cannot stop moving his feet. He will provide 2 or 3 opportunities to win the game. Let the pass rush eat with a week off and the loss of Witherspoon stings a lot less. The run defense should be able to contain Chubb and if the offense can control the TOP with the run game you should see an easy win.

Cleveland's defense isn't special. You have to account for Garrett and Skule will need help, but the Niners have the advantage in many areas. Especially in the most important one. Head Coach. Trust in Shanahan to scheme up a solid gameplan.

Niners win going away after Baker makes mistakes. 34-17

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Not feeling this game at all. Don't know why. I just feel like it's a game where they play at their peak rather than their valley. Maybe the injury to spoon is weighing on me. Back to back weeks of losing Staley and spoon is bad for my mental space tbh

And they fact that it's primetime makes me believe we'll look sloppy and undisciplined...idk why, just a weird feeling.

I know the defense has stepped up but I feel like they're aggressive nature leaves them susceptible to over-running plays and taking bad angles to the ball. A smart OC will use that aggression against them with well timed screens and counter action. Luckily I don't think Kitchens nor Monken are that smart but Saleh should be game-planning against screens for Chubb and them using the short passing game, with him coming on delays out of the backfield.

• Like 1

Chubb and their defensive line or more than capable of back handing us and handing us our first L. They've been under-performing and if Baker even comes close to getting it together this game, I don't think we pull out the W. Thing is, our dinged up defensive line has been arguably the best in the league and we're coming off the bye. I expect them to make Bakers life a living hell and I don't think it will be good for them. 

30-24 SF

Your guys run game will be a big test for this high priced DL. I’m going to be picking a few of your RBs in fan duel 😉

Our OL has actually played very well. Tretter and Bitonio are a couple of the better interior OL so far. With your nice DL coming at Baker I’d expect to see a lot of 12 personnel as Ricky Seals-Jones had a big week last week and they need to chip the pass rushers. 

I feel like this will be a weird out of conference matchup with a bunch of penalties and turnovers. If you guys can keep Jimmy G clean, you’ve got a great shot to take this one.

I’m right on the edge. Have a bad feeling that the Browns are just gonna have a coming out party. I’m concerned with Staley and Witherspoon out, those are the two spots Cleveland can really beat us. That said, I think we’re the better team. Just worried we’re due for a rough one. Hope not. 

Bad feeling about this one as well for some reason. I initially thought it would be better for the Brows to come into San Fran after beating the Ravens as opposed to losing (as they would be more separate). However, the mismatches are a big concern. 

This game is so crucial with the Rams coming up right after and two consecutive loses could really damage morale. And if the Rams lose the Seahawks they are going to be not too happy. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm going to be that guy.... Sorry everyone

34-20 browns

Definitely possible. Our defense has held it down thus far, but the Browns may have enough balance and weapons to get off on us. 

I don't think that will be the case though as our pass rush will be good enough to contain their offense. It comes down to how our OL is able to handle their DL and if we can protect the ball. 

• Like 1