Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I think the answer is to not pay buckner. He honestly hasnt earned a mega-deal this season. He hasnt made many plays. If we dont sign him to an extension this offseason, we should have the money for both of those guys after we cut mckinnon. Buckner has started slow basically every year, was hoping he would get out to a fast start this year but hes not the same guy we saw last year... so far

I kept laughing at all the dumb sports talk hosts in the bay area who keep pounding their fist on the table for Jalen Ramsey and Trent williams. We cant pay either of those guys. 

LOL, not paying Buckner is ridiculous. He's one of the best players in the league and the longer you wait, the more you end up paying the player. So yeah, he needs to get paid ASAP. 

• Like 3

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001063629/article/niners-draw-motivation-from-mayfields-pregame-snub

Couple of interesting nuggets:

"What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning," Sherman said. "That's some college s---. It's ridiculous. We're all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent -- that's NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that's disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that's gonna get us fired up."

"Respect the game," Sherman said, referencing Mayfield's pregame behavior. "You can have rivals, but pay your respect in that moment -- especially when you're young.

"And when you see a guy who doesn't? You humble him every chance you get. Because eventually, he will have respect for the league -- or he'll be out of it."

"That can rub a lot of people the wrong way," Buckner told NFL.com. "I guess it's part of his game. Oh well."

In Bosa's case, it was personal -- and it had nothing to do with the quarterback's refusal to shake hands before the game (though the rookie did roll his eyes at that).

I didn't know about this until after the game. What's up with Baker? That's pretty petty of him to do that. Especially as the leader of the team.

The Niners' plan against the Browns exploited the Cleveland linebackers' penchant for overplaying fullback motion. The frequent motioning of Juszczyk to his right -- a deployment sold by having the fullback look to his right before and during the shift -- helped displace the Browns' backers, to whom "eye discipline" had been stressed by coaches in the days leading up to the game.

This is really interesting and something that isn't picked up during the game broadcast. Juszczyk had one of his best games last night and really showed just how important he is to this team.

During the game, Bosa let Mayfield know all about it, chanting "Ba-ker, Ba-ker," and barking out, "Come on -- pick it up. I want a challenge."

As Bosa told reporters after the game at his locker: "I don't know how anybody thought he'd be able do see over Arik (Armstead) and Buck. But he was panicking, rolling back and forth, double-clutching all game.

I'm cool Bosa trash-talking Baker. I don't think Bosa is a guy to do that to every QB he goes against, I think he just had an axe to grind last night. And, he's absolutely right about trying to see through the two redwoods in middling of the line. Tough task for a tiny QB.

1 hour ago, 49ers2015 said:

Impressive outing. Any else think that Booger a little harsh on Jimmy? I mean he didn't have to do much right?

Also, is it me or Pettis seems to have the case of the dropski's? 

Booger is a moron, he had predetermined thoughts on Jimmy before the game and was going to throw out those takes regardless of how he played. I mean he barely needed to do much and he was getting after him for any off pass. Overall, Jimmy was still accurate as he almost always is.

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Jimmy G baseline stat projections after 4 games:

3,680 passing yards

8.1 average

69.0 completion %

28 TDs

16 INTs

99.4 passer rating

Those INTs need to come down definitely will take that stat line with the type of defense and run game we have. If our WRs could actually catch, the numbers would look better. But LOVE the high completion percentage and YPA.

One thing is clear, very few in the national media saw us play before last night. Some of the takes were hilarious. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

he hast to be the best pulling C in the NFL. the guy moves so well and understands the angles. He cant handle huge DTs in the run game, but our scheme is predicated on the outside zone stretch, and we can beat people up on the edges all game long. 

He was bad last year, but its pretty obvious in hindsight that he was just hurt. I know they talked about him being hurt, but I dont think we ever got clarity on what part of his body it was. 

Its really amazing to go from 2nd overall pick to potential playoff birth in one season. John Lynch, executive of the year??

Honestly, the garoppolo ACL tear might be the best ACL tear to happen to the niners since Frank Gore tore his ACL in college (and thus falling to us with the first pick in the third round). Couldnt have worked out better. 

The reason I picked us to win 10-11 games before the season was because I didn't look at this as an 4-12 team, but more so a 8-8 type of team that added two stud pass rushers and other parts to the team. With Jimmy G, no way he win any less than 8 games last season. Heck, we may have reached 7-8 just with Mullens if we're being honest. I lost count of how many games CJ f'n Beathard blew late in games. Shanahan kept the team competitive all season long last year but we just couldn't finish games. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

It's not an option, we have to find a way to keep AA and Blair next year. 

I think we will be able to keep one of them, but not both of them. Likely Blair over Armstead since the latter gets a bigger pay day. 

But both have been absolute studs all season long. The DL is feasting right now and is looking very similar to our front in 2011. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Did you guys see this in the game, Vernon Punched Jimmy G in the head.

Yes, they played this on the big screen about 5 times during the game. I saw it live and was pretty pissed about it 

It made demolishing baker that much sweeter 

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is a pleasant surprise. 

He's been really good the last two weeks.

I was arguing with @John232 in the offseason about Williams and how he is a really solid player. You could do much worse than him in the slot. 

Tartt though, he was THE man in the secondary last night. Playing sound football and is a beast in the run game. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was arguing with @John232 in the offseason about Williams and how he is a really solid player. You could do much worse than him in the slot. 

Tartt though, he was THE man in the secondary last night. Playing sound football and is a beast in the run game. 

I never thought he was bad, I thought he was replaceable and he has wild weeks of inconsistency. That said after that one awful series against (Tampa? early in the year) he's been great this year. There's been a huge improvement by the whole secondary and I think there was some addition by subtraction with Hafley. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Everyone played well in the secondary. Hell, even Ward looked legit last night. I've liked Williams since we picked him up for peanuts from the Browns. He's always been a reliable slot defender. It was just a matter of time until he took a step forward. 

Tartt is the same way. He's always been good, he just can't stay healthy. When he can, he's a very reliable defender with sneaky good coverage ability.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Everyone played well in the secondary. Hell, even Ward looked legit last night. I've liked Williams since we picked him up for peanuts from the Browns. He's always been a reliable slot defender. It was just a matter of time until he took a step forward. 

Tartt is the same way. He's always been good, he just can't stay healthy. When he can, he's a very reliable defender with sneaky good coverage ability.

Agreed with all points.

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I never thought he was bad, I thought he was replaceable and he has wild weeks of inconsistency. That said after that one awful series against (Tampa? early in the year) he's been great this year. There's been a huge improvement by the whole secondary and I think there was some addition by subtraction with Hafley. 

I always say how folks overlook the type of positional coaches teams have. Those coaches are much more hands on with players than the actual coordinators. We had some very good positional coaches with Harbaugh and the results were what they were. 

That's why I always say that Bobby Turner may be the best coach on the staff. That man makes ANY RB look legit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This is why the defense is legit. He was under siege all night, and we didn't need to blitz to make him uncomfortable

I mean that's why the secondary is so sound. LIS, very similar to Fangio's defenses from 2011-2013. When you can bring the heat with a four man rush, you should be able to take away everything deep and force teams to have long developing drives to just score. I was upset with how loose Sherman was in coverage a few times and even he commented on that in the post-game conference, but it was clear that they didn't think Baker was disciplined enough to lead 10+ play drives without making a mistake.