2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

9 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

I want the Yankees to do one thing for certain. Finally sign an ace SP. Gerrit Cole, please. 

Cole going to the Angels.

You want an ace, you're going to have to get into a three team parlay with the Nationals for Syndergaard, with Keiboom and Rutledge going to the Mets, and the Yankees sending Frazier and their entire bullpen to the Nationals for Thor.

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Cole going to the Angels.

You want an ace, you're going to have to get into a three team parlay with the Nationals for Syndergaard, with Keiboom and Rutledge going to the Mets, and the Yankees sending Frazier and their entire bullpen to the Nationals for Thor.

Angels? That seems random. I know they need pitching but is there rumors otherwise?

19 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Angels? That seems random. I know they need pitching but is there rumors otherwise?

It makes a ton of sense, actually.  They have the money available.  They have a huge need in the rotation.  They need to make moves while Trout is still in his prime.  Cole is a SoCal guy that already spurned NY.  It's a pretty good fit.  

With that said, money always talks.  

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

I mean, who is going to give Anthony Rendon 250+?

The Nationals offered Rendon a seven-year contract worth somewhere between $210 and $215 million in early September and it appears the organization is taking a different route than the one it used in negotiating with Bryce Harper last offseason.

While the deal that the Nationals offered Harper included nearly $100 million in deferred salary over several decades -- a factor that may have led Harper to ultimately choose the Phillies -- this offer to Rendon is more like the one the Nationals offered ace Max Scherzer in 2015, per the Post. Scherzer's seven-year, $210 million contract included deferrals that are to be paid off within seven years after his contract runs out.

Washington's reported offer certainly shouldn't keep Rendon from exploring the free-agent market after the postseason (he expressed his desire to shop around earlier this summer), particularly since he would share top billing on this offseason's market along with Astros ace Gerrit Cole.

An NBCNews investigation found at least 808 reports of injuries to fans from baseballs from 2012 to 2019. The injuries include concussions and permanent vision loss. Most of the injuries resulted from fouls. Only four agencies at four parks provided records, but those four alone provided 701 reports of injuries from baseballs. NBCNews found 107 more reports of people being hit since 2012 after combing through lawsuits, news reports and social media involving all 30 teams.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, batters hit more fould balls in 2019 than in any of the previous 20 years.
Average foul balls per game increased from 48.9 in 2000 to 53.8 per game in the first half of the 2019 season.

Edited by Leader

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

An NBCNews investigation found at least 808 reports of injuries to fans from baseballs from 2012 to 2019. The injuries include concussions and permanent vision loss. Most of the injuries resulted from fouls. Only four agencies at four parks provided records, but those four alone provided 701 reports of injuries from baseballs. NBCNews found 107 more reports of people being hit since 2012 after combing through lawsuits, news reports and social media involving all 30 teams.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, batters hit more fould balls in 2019 than in any of the previous 20 years.
Average foul balls per game increased from 48.9 in 2000 to 53.8 per game in the first half of the 2019 season.

Yeah, there is very little reason to not have nets extend to the foul poles.  But this probably isn't "Hot Stove" talk.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It makes a ton of sense, actually.  They have the money available.  They have a huge need in the rotation.  They need to make moves while Trout is still in his prime.  Cole is a SoCal guy that already spurned NY.  It's a pretty good fit.  

With that said, money always talks.  

I wasn't trying to say it didn't make sense, just thought @Slateman said it with such certainty that I missed a report of mutual interest or something. I fully expect NYY to find a way to miss on him like Corbin, Cole last time, Verlander, Stroman, Scherzer, etc, etc.

12 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

I wasn't trying to say it didn't make sense, just thought @Slateman said it with such certainty that I missed a report of mutual interest or something. I fully expect NYY to find a way to miss on him like Corbin, Cole last time, Verlander, Stroman, Scherzer, etc, etc.

Yeah Bc Sevy Paxton Tanaka is so bad lol..

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, there is very little reason to not have nets extend to the foul poles.  But this probably isn't "Hot Stove" talk.

The only argument I can see is that it changes field dimensions slightly. As of now a player can reach into the stands, with nets they won't be able to. Also depending on how tightly it is strong it's a bit unclear what wind might do to is that could blow the net into play and then you would have field dimensions changing during the game depending on the breeze at any given moment.

I'd also want to know if it has the potential to increase the injury risk of an outfielder running full speed toward it. On one hand it can catch them preventing them from falling in, but I also expect it can be pretty gnarly on the face