2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

Recent talks between the teams have focused on sending a significant amount of prospect talent and outfielder Wil Myers to Boston, according to sources. Multiple people familiar with the discussions characterized an agreement as unlikely, and the industry consensus is that Betts will be in a Red Sox uniform on Opening Day. Yet both sides appear to have legitimate interest.

Myers + prospects for Betts seems extremely counter to the Sox stated goal of cutting Payroll. They probably want to stick David Price in this deal.

11 hours ago, Slateman said:

Myers + prospects for Betts seems extremely counter to the Sox stated goal of cutting Payroll. They probably want to stick David Price in this deal.

im  assuming Price is part of the deal, otherwise im not sure why boston would do the trade.

14 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

im  assuming Price is part of the deal, otherwise im not sure why boston would do the trade.

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox.

I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman.

I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox.

I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman.

I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

My take is that the Red Sox ownership and Red Sox baseball ops aren't on the same page. Ownership wants payroll slashed, and baseball ops is going through the motions. They'll have some trade talks, and leak it to the media so that at the end of the offseason they can say "oops we tried to slash payroll but couldn't find any deals that worked, guess we'll just have to keep Mookie Betts and David Price and win a bunch".

So enter the Padres, who would leak discussions where they add Betts/Price and get rid of a bad contract all in one go, who then leak it to the media to try and see if this will get the attention of Red Sox ownership.

Kind of conspiracy theory stuff, but it would at least explain why we're hearing about it and why the talks are happening.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox. I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman. I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

I think BOS would be content - maybe not overly happy, but content - if this wound up them just dumping Price's cost and had to "live with" playing the season with Betts. Having to play the season with one of the top players in the game.....the pain isnt exactly excruciating.

Bett's is how they get prospects / talent coming back their way however and maybe how they sell it to their fan base.

"We were gonna lose him anyway, so......"

I dont think them jettisoning Betts now enhances their chances he'd come back ala Chapman. From what I've read, it has a "if he goes....he's gonna stay gone" feel to it. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think BOS would be content - maybe not overly happy, but content - if this wound up them just dumping Price's cost and had to "live with" playing the season with Betts. Having to play the season with one of the top players in the game.....the pain isnt exactly excruciating.

Bett's is how they get prospects / talent coming back their way however and maybe how they sell it to their fan base.

"We were gonna lose him anyway, so......"

I dont think them jettisoning Betts now enhances their chances he'd come back ala Chapman. From what I've read, it has a "if he goes....he's gonna stay gone" feel to it. We'll see.

Oh I think that is the best case scenario for both teams.

I think Betts wants to get paid. If the Sox have the highest offer, then he'll come back to the Red Sox. But it's obvious that he wants to get to free agency. I dont think keeping him on 86 win team that misses the playoffs is going to help re-sign him. Certainly not nearly as much as dumping Price's salary will do.  Or moving Betts for prospects who become quality major leaguers that offset his 40 million AAV in 2023.