2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

8 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It's not a question as to whether or not he's worth 300 million- he is undeniably worth that. It's the fact that because he won't sign an extension, the Sox are stuck negotiating against themselves, and they can't afford to let him walk for nothing. 

The way I look at it is this: If they trade him, there are only a handful of teams that would be in the mix since he's gonna be at ~$27-30m for the year and then definitely hitting FA. Given all that, they're not gonna get a big haul for him at all. I'd argue it'd prob be marginally better than the value of the 1st round comp pick they'd get for letting him walk in FA if it comes to that. So to me, trading him is off the table unless they get totally blown away (likely at the deadline). And even then I'd be hesitant unless they're totally out of contention.

I'd also consider what happened with Lester, they traded him at the deadline thinking they could re-sign him in the offseason. Obviously that didn't happen, and it came out later that playing for Oakland for just those two months made a huge difference in him realizing "damn I can play and be really happy outside Boston." Don't get me wrong, I think if they trade Mookie he's never coming back, but there's something to be said for making him go into free agency only having played in Boston and forcing that decision to be a huge leap into the unknown. I think that would be a really tough move to make, assuming the money is close/favorable to the Sox (and it better be tbh, you CANNOT let this guy walk over $$).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

So it that a convoluted way of saying he's a better player than Bryce Harper? :)

Yes, I believe so.

Only reason I would have pause would be his home/away splits. Hes clearly a better hitter in Fenway. But even his career away splits are similar to what Harper posted this season.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:41 PM, hrubes20 said:

For a pure rental on what will amount to a 1 year, $27 million contract?  The headliner for half a season of Machado was a guy that was around the 100th best prospect in the game.  Betts is coming off a season that is very similar to Machado's during the time of the trade.  You think 3 more months for a more expensive Betts somehow would catapult his headliner to a top 25 prospect in the game?  I don't see it at all.  

There's also some on the Orioles side of the equation that say the Orioles went for quantity over quality in that trade.  At least as an Orioles fan, that's what I hear from some.  Others like me, are happy with the return, especially since Kremer is looking like he could be a solid mid-rotation guy.  I definitely think a top 25-50 prospect for a full season of Betts is the right asking price, but there wont be any secondary pieces to it. 

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Do you guys think that the Nats winning the World Seried (this is never going to get old to say/type) makes the Orioles more or less willing to trade with the Nationals?

Less....to the "it ain't happening" degree....so whatever you're thinking about....the Orioles wont be helping!

So, what did you have in mind anyway?  :)

15 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

That would be awesome 

Gonna be hard to move Price given his age, injury history, contract and believe he has a no trade as well...

Evoldi will be same boat because of the injuries and just looking like a bad contract...

The worst contract Sox have is Sale though. He continues to loose velocity every year...