2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Average cost to keep a minor league franchise running last I looked is $400-500K.

Teams spend more than that on guys who haven't played for them in like 5 years (Yankees) or 20 (Mets). It's such a joke that they're penny pinching to **** over, again, the most vulnerable players in the minor league strata, UDFA's, Low pool LA kids, and late round draft guys (who now become UDFA's because they're shrinking the draft despite posting record profits, again).

God the future is so depressing.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

And really, to have the temerity to rename your bull**** restructuring screwjob to everybody involved the "dream league" is just the height of hubris and in any sane society we'd be looking at removing their anti-trust protections but of course we don't do that because the govt is too busy ensuring that they pass laws that allow Baseball to pay these dudes poverty wages.

Will Manfred not be satisfied until he's completely killed the ******* sport?

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Average cost to keep a minor league franchise running last I looked is $400-500K.

Teams spend more than that on guys who haven't played for them in like 5 years (Yankees) or 20 (Mets). It's such a joke that they're penny pinching to **** over, again, the most vulnerable players in the minor league strata, UDFA's, Low pool LA kids, and late round draft guys (who now become UDFA's because they're shrinking the draft despite posting record profits, again).

God the future is so depressing.

There are thousands more like this, but this story is just a funny example to me (not funny haha, funny=ridiculous)

One of my buddies and former teammates was in AA baseball in 2010, when the economy was a disaster. He was 23, and traded midseason to another AA affiliate. Right before he was traded, our local Air Force base offered him an entry level job (he has 2 masters degrees in accounting and finance) making $50K a year. Unable to grind/and PB&J through life anymore and not able to pass on this career opportunity based solely off of money, he "retired" from baseball and went to work. I'm not saying that he makes The Show, but to think of a bunch of guys like him that have their hands forced like this is an embarrassment.

• Like 1

Ehhh, I don't have a problem with eliminating those teams. There is far more than is necessary. Paying the minor league players more though is a no brainer.

But I think their needs to be a change in the way the player rights are owned and who pays them. I think major league teams should be limited to their 40 man roster plus those with less that 3 years of service in the minor leagues. These players rights are owned by the major league team and should therefore be paid by the major league team and be paid more money. Everyone else should be considered employees of the minor league team that employs them only. They are major league free agents in the sense that any major league team can sign them to be on their 40 man roster regardless of who's "organization" they are in. These players are paid less and paid by the minor league teams who are actually their own businesses. I think min salaries 30K up to 50K by 7 years of service for the non major league owned players and 40K to 75K for those owned by major league teams (this is for a AAA player. Mins decrease by 5K per level).  Major and minor league teams in negotiating affiliation are allowed to negotiate the major league team paying the minor league salaries but they are still considered to be paid and owned by the minor league club. Further the MLBPA during CBA negotiations can negotiate for increased minimums for those owned by the major league club based on if and how much major league service they have had.

Players whose rights are not owned by a major league team can also be signed by a minor league franchise at a higher level (e.g. a AAA team can sign a player that is currently AA) without a penalty for breach of contract

19 hours ago, mse326 said:

Ehhh, I don't have a problem with eliminating those teams. There is far more than is necessary. Paying the minor league players more though is a no brainer.

But I think their needs to be a change in the way the player rights are owned and who pays them. I think major league teams should be limited to their 40 man roster plus those with less that 3 years of service in the minor leagues. These players rights are owned by the major league team and should therefore be paid by the major league team and be paid more money. Everyone else should be considered employees of the minor league team that employs them only. They are major league free agents in the sense that any major league team can sign them to be on their 40 man roster regardless of who's "organization" they are in. These players are paid less and paid by the minor league teams who are actually their own businesses. I think min salaries 30K up to 50K by 7 years of service for the non major league owned players and 40K to 75K for those owned by major league teams (this is for a AAA player. Mins decrease by 5K per level).  Major and minor league teams in negotiating affiliation are allowed to negotiate the major league team paying the minor league salaries but they are still considered to be paid and owned by the minor league club. Further the MLBPA during CBA negotiations can negotiate for increased minimums for those owned by the major league club based on if and how much major league service they have had.

Players whose rights are not owned by a major league team can also be signed by a minor league franchise at a higher level (e.g. a AAA team can sign a player that is currently AA) without a penalty for breach of contract

So we're approaching a 19 year old 3 years from J2 the same as a 24 year old 3 years out from college? Seems odd.

And how are we handling the up and down journeyman player? I'm thinking of bullpen taxis where you have guys getting half MLB, half MiLB salary on a split contract by being sent down after a few appearances to keep them fresh.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So we're approaching a 19 year old 3 years from J2 the same as a 24 year old 3 years out from college? Seems odd.

And how are we handling the up and down journeyman player? I'm thinking of bullpen taxis where you have guys getting half MLB, half MiLB salary on a split contract by being sent down after a few appearances to keep them fresh.

I don't like that there is a dual age restriction. As far as I'm concerned if 16 year old Dominican's can play pro ball so should 16 year old American's. Frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been an employment discrimination suit, but that is different story.

Basically I'm treating everyone as they start as entry level players and get raises from there. If you are good enough, young enough then fine. If you're not that is on you. If you think going to college will get you picked higher and therefore a better signing bonus, or you just want the degree that is your choice. I don't think it is that bad to treat them equally based on service time. Also I only said what the minimum salary is. They could get paid more if they negotiate it.

As for the up and down, they'd get paid like they do now. Essentially they have a minor league salary and major league salary and it get's pro rated based on time spent on the respective roster.

• Like 1