2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

7 hours ago, Slateman said:

That seems ... excessive

I don't think Ozuna is getting that kind of a contract, especially when he inevitably gets a QO attached to him.  Spotrac has him at 3 years, $54.4M, so that'd be nearly $5M more per year and 4 additional years.   Assuming I'm looking at it correctly, that'd be the highest AAV for an OFer not named Bryce Harper or Jason Heyward.  Not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Consider that a bullet dodged.  I don't think the Cardinals want Stanton, especially with that particular contract remaining.  It's probably unlikely that Carpenter's contract vests, so you're looking at 2 years, $39M left.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Consider that a bullet dodged.  I don't think the Cardinals want Stanton, especially with that particular contract remaining.  It's probably unlikely that Carpenter's contract vests, so you're looking at 2 years, $39M left.

I think the Yankees would eat some of it, but the Cards arent a small market team.

But I think Stanton wants out and NYY may be regretting that trade. The injuries arent his fault, but fans arent going to care the next time he goes in the IL. And of all times to use your deep pockets to improve your team, eating a ton of Stanton's salary to get a good return would be a good one.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

I think the Yankees would eat some of it, but the Cards arent a small market team.

But I think Stanton wants out and NYY may be regretting that trade. The injuries arent his fault, but fans arent going to care the next time he goes in the IL. And of all times to use your deep pockets to improve your team, eating a ton of Stanton's salary to get a good return would be a good one.

Stanton can kick rocks, and take Gary Sanchez and Edwin with him.

I realize how good Stanton is, and i wouldn’t trade him just for ****s and gigs unless we got a great return by, like you said, eating salary

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

Interesting fact.....

The day CC's career ended....when his body basically couldnt go anymore......was the 2 year anniversary since Jacob Ellsbury last played a game for the NYY. I doubt he'll ever play again.....but he'll keep drawing 21M p/year till 2022.

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting fact.....

The day CC's career ended....when his body basically couldnt go anymore......was the 2 year anniversary since Jacob Ellsbury last played a game for the NYY. I doubt he'll ever play again.....but he'll keep drawing 21M p/year till 2022.

I thought he was in the best shape of his life  . . .

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, Slateman said:

That seems ... excessive

For a guy with 1 season with an OPS over .800 out of 6.5 seasons that seems very excessive.  You also have to pay that during some decline years as well, he'll be 29 in a few weeks.

Edited by THE DUKE

On 10/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, Slateman said:

If the Yanks ate a bunch of the contract and they'd take Matt Carpenter, I'd be okay with this deal. It seems extremely unlikely, though.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You think he's getting a 2 year, $40M contract?

29, corner OF, 2 full seasons of 110ish wRC+. I think he gets less than that. This is the type of player the market has hammered.

Here's a relevant comparison for you. Player A is Ozuna, and this covers 2 full seasons from the FA (for Player B, there was an injury in the middle year). 

Player A: 5.4 WAR, 29 years old, 109 wRC+, -2.6 position adjusted defensive runs
Player B: 6.6 WAR (including 0.8 in a month of a partial season), 29 years old, ~114 wRC+, 4.4 position adjusted defensive runs

Pretty close to the same guy, right? It's not perfect, but whatever.

Player B is Mike Moustakas, when he got a 1 year, $6.5MM guaranteed contract from the Royals. The new MLB market is trying to replace guys like Ozuna for free instead of pay them anything, and is willing to tank to do it.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

29, corner OF, 2 full seasons of 110ish wRC+. I think he gets less than that. This is the type of player the market has hammered.

Here's a relevant comparison for you. Player A is Ozuna, and this covers 2 full seasons from the FA (for Player B, there was an injury in the middle year). 

Player A: 5.4 WAR, 29 years old, 109 wRC+, -2.6 position adjusted defensive runs
Player B: 6.6 WAR (including 0.8 in a month of a partial season), 29 years old, ~114 wRC+, 4.4 position adjusted defensive runs

Pretty close to the same guy, right? It's not perfect, but whatever.

Player B is Mike Moustakas, when he got a 1 year, $6.5MM guaranteed contract from the Royals. The new MLB market is trying to replace guys like Ozuna for free instead of pay them anything, and is willing to tank to do it.

I mean, Jay Bruce got 3 years, $39M from the Mets a few years ago, and he's a significantly worse hitter.  Does MLB continue to have this slow-mo FA, or do they start to see the market speed up?  Last year's FA class seemed astronomically slow.