2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, Jay Bruce got 3 years, $39M from the Mets a few years ago, and he's a significantly worse hitter.  Does MLB continue to have this slow-mo FA, or do they start to see the market speed up?  Last year's FA class seemed astronomically slow.

Yeah it only takes one, which is why I didn't say straight up that I think he gets 1/$8MM or something like that. 

But it's only going to get worse. The MLBPA is already furious, so it's not like there is potential to gain good will, and the MLB will want to continue to slash and gut spending before the CBA to move the anchor point more in their direction.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah it only takes one, which is why I didn't say straight up that I think he gets 1/$8MM or something like that. 

But it's only going to get worse. The MLBPA is already furious, so it's not like there is potential to gain good will, and the MLB will want to continue to slash and gut spending before the CBA to move the anchor point more in their direction.

Maybe.  But correct me if I'm wrong, but Boston is the only franchise that has "publicly" came out and said they're trying to get under the luxury tax.  Naturally, the Yankees being out of the OF market would damper the FA market for Ozuna.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe.  But correct me if I'm wrong, but Boston is the only franchise that has "publicly" came out and said they're trying to get under the luxury tax.  Naturally, the Yankees being out of the OF market would damper the FA market for Ozuna.

A huge fraction of the league is openly rebuilding, and the remaining 10 teams are going to aim higher than the 2.5/3 WAR than Ozuna.

Do you think he gets more than $40MM?

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A huge fraction of the league is openly rebuilding, and the remaining 10 teams are going to aim higher than the 2.5/3 WAR than Ozuna.

Do you think he gets more than $40MM?

I'm looking at this mediocre FA class in terms of hitters.  You've got Anthony Rendon as the clear star FA hitter.  But beyond him, Ozuna is in the same group as Josh Donaldson.  IF JD Martinez hits FA, he's probably ahead of Ozuna

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm looking at this mediocre FA class in terms of hitters.  You've got Anthony Rendon as the clear star FA hitter.  But beyond him, Ozuna is in the same group as Josh Donaldson.  IF JD Martinez hits FA, he's probably ahead of Ozuna

Moose was at the top of the 2nd tier too IIRC. It gets really, really sparse if you aren't a monster like Rendon.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He wanted like $90MM. Kind of like Ozuna wanting $160MM.

I think we'd both agree that he's getting nowhere near that.  I think I mentioned 5 years, $65M but the QO that he's almost assuredly going to get.  4 years, $60M seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Really excited about the Chaim Bloom hire by the Sox. Guy has a super impressive resume given his age and the constraints he had in Tampa. He's got his work cut out for him given the Mookie, JD and existing payroll situation. Can't wait to see his plan. 

Bloom finished runner up to Brodie last year for the Mets job. With Brodie's many great trades and moves, that was clearly the right move..........

12 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I think this is a misdirection for the fans. The Dodgers are part of luxury tax cabal and are content with Lux, Muncy, Taylor, Seager, etc. They don't want to pay Lindor.

I'd agree that doesn't fit what they do at all. It could also be Lindor's camp trying to see if he can get a trade out of Cleveland. He's clearly not signing long term.