Jump to content
Eagles27

2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

 

 

Recent talks between the teams have focused on sending a significant amount of prospect talent and outfielder Wil Myers to Boston, according to sources. Multiple people familiar with the discussions characterized an agreement as unlikely, and the industry consensus is that Betts will be in a Red Sox uniform on Opening Day. Yet both sides appear to have legitimate interest.

Myers + prospects for Betts seems extremely counter to the Sox stated goal of cutting Payroll. They probably want to stick David Price in this deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Slateman said:

 

 

 

Myers + prospects for Betts seems extremely counter to the Sox stated goal of cutting Payroll. They probably want to stick David Price in this deal.

I want that deal for both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I want that deal for both sides.

I dont get it. That's trading Betts for okay prospects and like ~15 million AAV in payroll relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slateman said:

I dont get it. That's trading Betts for okay prospects and like ~15 million AAV in payroll relief.

The Red Sox are being stupid over money. That's why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Slateman said:

 

 

 

Myers + prospects for Betts seems extremely counter to the Sox stated goal of cutting Payroll. They probably want to stick David Price in this deal.

 

im  assuming Price is part of the deal, otherwise im not sure why boston would do the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

 

im  assuming Price is part of the deal, otherwise im not sure why boston would do the trade.

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox.

I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman.

I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox.

I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman.

I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

My take is that the Red Sox ownership and Red Sox baseball ops aren't on the same page. Ownership wants payroll slashed, and baseball ops is going through the motions. They'll have some trade talks, and leak it to the media so that at the end of the offseason they can say "oops we tried to slash payroll but couldn't find any deals that worked, guess we'll just have to keep Mookie Betts and David Price and win a bunch".

So enter the Padres, who would leak discussions where they add Betts/Price and get rid of a bad contract all in one go, who then leak it to the media to try and see if this will get the attention of Red Sox ownership.

Kind of conspiracy theory stuff, but it would at least explain why we're hearing about it and why the talks are happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Meyers and Price have the same time left on their deals. So swapping them is about a 12 million AAV dollar decrease in payroll for the Red Sox. I get wanting to get rid of Price's contract. I even understand packaging Betts to get someone to take him. And I even understand trading Betts now since you wont get a "home town discount" on an extension, so it gives you the chance to do what the Yankees did with Chapman. I just dont get the Meyers part. Even at his best, he was a decent bat, but that's it.

I think BOS would be content - maybe not overly happy, but content - if this wound up them just dumping Price's cost and had to "live with" playing the season with Betts. Having to play the season with one of the top players in the game.....the pain isnt exactly excruciating.

Bett's is how they get prospects / talent coming back their way however and maybe how they sell it to their fan base.

"We were gonna lose him anyway, so......"

I dont think them jettisoning Betts now enhances their chances he'd come back ala Chapman. From what I've read, it has a "if he goes....he's gonna stay gone" feel to it. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think BOS would be content - maybe not overly happy, but content - if this wound up them just dumping Price's cost and had to "live with" playing the season with Betts. Having to play the season with one of the top players in the game.....the pain isnt exactly excruciating.

Bett's is how they get prospects / talent coming back their way however and maybe how they sell it to their fan base.

"We were gonna lose him anyway, so......"

I dont think them jettisoning Betts now enhances their chances he'd come back ala Chapman. From what I've read, it has a "if he goes....he's gonna stay gone" feel to it. We'll see.

Oh I think that is the best case scenario for both teams.

I think Betts wants to get paid. If the Sox have the highest offer, then he'll come back to the Red Sox. But it's obvious that he wants to get to free agency. I dont think keeping him on 86 win team that misses the playoffs is going to help re-sign him. Certainly not nearly as much as dumping Price's salary will do.  Or moving Betts for prospects who become quality major leaguers that offset his 40 million AAV in 2023.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Brodie is bad at his job 

Probably a year too late, but okay. Maybe they'll be smart and trade Bell if he gets out to a hot start this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

 

assuming the Padres are only in  the trade talks as a backup plan in case they don't  make a move for Betts? 

Edited by flyguy1609

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Betts would be hard for this Red Sox fan but you could get a lesser return than Will Myers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×