2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 3/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Slateman said:

That's a lot of "ifs" man.

Like "if" Giolito can repeat (likely), and "if" Kopech can return to 2018 form (fairly likely but he will also likely have an innings limit AND he wasnt exactly an ace in 2018), "if" Cease can figure things out (not as likely), and "if" Lopez can be decent again (not likely- Hes a bullpen arm tbh).

Cease was a top 30 prospect just last year.  He has tweaked some things with his delivery so the likelihood of him figuring it out is a lot more likely than you are thinking it is.  He may not be an ace, but can be a solid #3.  Giolito is not a big if you me.  Again he has had al the talent in the world and put it together.  It’s no different than if they trade for an ace, there is the big “if” they are as good on another team/can repeat their performance.  I think itd be foolish to trade away assets before finding out what you have first, especially when you have a lot of really good arms in the minors. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Cease was a top 30 prospect just last year.  He has tweaked some things with his delivery so the likelihood of him figuring it out is a lot more likely than you are thinking it is.  He may not be an ace, but can be a solid #3.  Giolito is not a big if you me.  Again he has had al the talent in the world and put it together.  It’s no different than if they trade for an ace, there is the big “if” they are as good on another team/can repeat their performance.  I think itd be foolish to trade away assets before finding out what you have first, especially when you have a lot of really good arms in the minors. 

I think Kopech is gonna be just fine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

What's the chances of Kopech making it to the White Sox rotation this year? For a team who's rotation troubles have been documented in this thread as of late a guy like Kopech could help out in a big way. 

I think they keep him down through May/June.  They will keep him on an innings cap so unless they really limit him early, they will likely shut him down in August/Sept.  I think he makes an impact this year, but a lot depends on him maintaining his control. 

Jon Heyman reported on this week’s Big Time Baseball podcast that J.T. Realmuto's agents want to top Buster Posey's eight-year, $159 million contract extension.

Heyman also notes that Paul Goldschmidt's five-year, $130 million extension has been a talking point for Realmuto's camp. It seems like a reasonable range for Realmuto to be seeking his long-term deal to land in, but it doesn't sound like he and the Phillies are anywhere close to an agreement. Realmuto will make $10 million in 2019 and is currently set to hit the free agent market next winter.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20194/jt-realmuto

Ken Rosenthal -   MLB expected to send out guidelines advising teams to end organized group workouts at spring and home parks. Camps would remain open for individual needs, but with limited staff. Idea is stricter compliance with social-distancing practices.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 7:50 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In 2015, the Mets medical staff nixed a trade of Carlos Gomez for Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores. The next day Gomez and Mike Fiers were traded to the Astros for 4 players. Had the Mets medical staff not nixed the deal, Fiers never joins the Astros and never tells the press that the Astros were stealing signs. Carlos Beltran is never investigated, and the Mets never have to fire him.

The Mets basically fired their own manager 5 years before they hired him.

Apparently quarantine is so bad my 3 month old joke posts are becoming in depth articles. Yeesh.

• Like 5

Hopefully with this going on, Verdugo will be able to heal up and join the lineup. Not much to look forward to this year. We didn't address our weakness at all. Bogie, Devers, and Martinez's games will be what we ride to wins. Eddie and Nasty Nate are all we have in the rotation. Nate won't make it to 10 games.