2017 Captains

Acgott

What does the amount of gold stars mean and why does Casillas have 2 vs Eli and Zak having 4? I'm assuming it's some sort of "rank", but I wasn't aware that existed for Captains. And if it is a rank, how is it determined?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just Googled it. From Wikipedia...

"The number of stars filled in on the patch represents the number of consecutive years that player has been named captain by that team. If they've been named captain for longer than four years, the "C" on the patch is gold."

I know captains are selected based on leadership and respect in the locker room, but this defense has 6 guys that have probowl or all-pro honors in their career.  I think one of them deserves the captain label more than Casillas, who might actually be our worst starter on defense if we're being honest.

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I know captains are selected based on leadership and respect in the locker room, but this defense has 6 guys that have probowl or all-pro honors in their career.  I think one of them deserves the captain label more than Casillas, who might actually be our worst starter on defense if we're being honest.

Apparently Snacks said if he was named Captain he would give it to Casillas because he deserves it more. That says a lot about how much respect the defense has for him. If Collins has another good year I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't wear the C next year.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:14 PM, Gmen said:

This was more or less my thoughts, but since it is the players who have voted on it, they know much better than any of us do. Casillas must be more important than any of us know, at least off the field. I thought this was the year Collins or JPP got the C. 

Casillas is a veteran who has been on winning teams before. He was also the captain last year so there's something to be said for continuity. Tough to say who the vocal leaders are behind closed doors but as w4rrior723 points out, Snacks has said publicly that he wouldn't accept.

I also think it's mostly someone in the back 7, who is seeing most of the field and can line guys up. LBs usually have the headset helmet. He is very easily the most worthy LB. That being said, it's only a matter of time before Collins is the defensive captain.

Archived