Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

“Through all this, the one thing that hasn't changed is the effectiveness of Diggs. To have 56 receptions for 997 yards and five touchdowns through 13 games on a team with a run-first mentality (Cook has rushed 241 times for 1,108 yards and 13 TDs) is impressive in its own right. Having notched three games of over 121 yards receiving since Week 7 while ranking second in the NFC in yards per reception (17.8) speaks to how well Diggs has continued to play with or without Thielen.

"I think the fact that Adam's been out and the way that Diggsy has played is even more credit to him," assistant head coach/offensive adviser Gary Kubiak said. "He has gotten doubled -- you name it -- people trying to take him out of the football game. When you've got a receiver on the field who you're trying to get the ball to and people are taking him away, you really have to challenge the receiver. You've got to move, you've got to motion, you've got to do things maybe you're not comfortable with so we can get you open and he's bought into that."

Thielen's absence makes Diggs' job undoubtedly harder. Since Week 8, teams have increased the amount of man coverage they're playing against him (up from 55% to 64%), yet Diggs remains in the top five in tight-window catch rate (less than 1 yard of separation), per NFL Next Gen Stats.“ ESPN writer Courtney Cronin.

I have made the claim that Diggs is a number one over and over this season should definitely prove it. Run first offense and no thielen to “take pressure off” and diggs has thrived. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ESPN is among those outlets recognizing players and teams across the league for numerous accomplishments and most recently announced their 2019 Advanced Statistics Awards. ESPN's Seth Walder wrote:

Advanced statistics allow us to better evaluate on-field performance, so it would only make sense for us to go to those analytics for some extra accolades this season. We're handing out trophies in a variety of those advanced stat categories. These stats come from ESPN Stats & Information, NFL Next Gen Stats or a combination of the two.

Walder went position group by position group; among receivers, he highlighted Stefon Diggs for having the "most completed air yards over expectation per route run."

Walder contrasted Diggs with Saints wideout Michael Thomas, who had the "most completed air yards over expectation" in general.

Diggs' average target is almost 15 yards downfield, while Thomas' are just over eight. So given that Diggs also catches his passes well above their expected completion percentage, Diggs' CAYOE was more impressive on a per-target basis. Diggs caught five passes that were at least 20 yards downfield and had less than a 30-percent chance of completion this season.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-diggs-included-in-espn-s-2019-advanced-stats-awards?sf228385829=1&fbclid=IwAR1RSCCDYHgjbQvWUu7L5LZrSjloDZXo24mdTeKhh6K3eZvRD8obP1o7ApQ

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I'd take Diggs over MT any day of the week. I really don't think most Vikings fans, or the Vikings brass themselves realize how good he is. He would be putting up monster numbers in a lot of other situations

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Not gonna lie, I'd take Diggs over MT any day of the week. I really don't think most Vikings fans, or the Vikings brass themselves realize how good he is. He would be putting up monster numbers in a lot of other situations

If this team sticks with Cousins, it will likely help this team overall to trade diggs or thilen (or star OL). Cousins needs more star OL talent as opposed to 2 star WR talents, that he ultamately cant come close to maximizing

Edited by CriminalMind

19 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

A lot of ppl don’t share your sentiment. Matter of fact, there are a few on this minny forum who think diggs is just a solid number 2 lol. Personally I think he is 1a and thielen is 1b and if given the targets he would be a top 5 receiver in the nfl easily. Literally runs every route on the tree crisply and can play inside or outside whenever. Can go through the middle but can also be the top deep threat in football. Hands are AMAZING in 50/50 situations, although he had a few drops this year (definitely abnormal for him). He has the talent, just needs the opportunities. If we trade him he will flourish and everyone will see his talent. 

Hopefully we can get cousins better protection and he build more off of this season.

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If this team sticks with Cousins, it will likely help this team overall to trade diggs or thilen (or star OL). Cousins needs more star OL talent as opposed to 2 star WR talents, that he ultamately cant come close to maximizing

The entire purpose of getting better on the line is to get more out of Cousins and our elite skill players. Flipping a WR for a line man changes nothing

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That, plus there’s no way your going to get an o-lineman if equal value in return. 

You would need two goods or one elite. Which ain't happening.

I'd entertain trading one of the two if the team had drafted AJ Brown or McLaurin instead of Smith, but alas, with we are

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Good luck getting good lineman for free.

You're missing the point. Trading Diggs for a lineman is cutting your nose off to spite your face. The offense doesn't get better.

If you think the team doesn't have the resources to actually get better and you gotta blow it up, Diggs being apart of the tear down doesn't make sense either. He's 26... he needs to be apart of the future either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

You're missing the point. Trading Diggs for a lineman is cutting your nose off to spite your face. The offense doesn't get better.

If you think the team doesn't have the resources to actually get better and you gotta blow it up, Diggs being apart of the tear down doesn't make sense either. He's 26... he needs to be apart of the future either way.

On an unrelated point, a good lineman dwarfs the value of a good receiver. In a vacuum. I wouldn’t necessarily trade Diggs unless I knew it was for a sure-to-be good OL that is young and for cheap. So it’s have to be for a Quentin Nelson type prospect.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Duluther said:

On an unrelated point, a good lineman dwarfs the value of a good receiver. In a vacuum. I wouldn’t necessarily trade Diggs unless I knew it was for a sure-to-be good OL that is young and for cheap. So it’s have to be for a Quentin Nelson type prospect.

That's not true tho, at least not for an interior lineman. A good wr is better than a good IOL from an above replacement level perspective.

LT is probably a different story, but the details elude me.

10 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I disagree with this. Receivers like Diggs and Thielen take over games. Teams widely regarded as having the Top OLs and best individual lineman were at home watching the playoffs with us the past few weeks (Dal, Pit, Phi, Ind).

I think that the Vikings need to improve the OL, but I don’t agree that a single good OL is more valuable than a single good WR. 

• Like 1