Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I disagree with this. Receivers like Diggs and Thielen take over games. Teams widely regarded as having the Top OLs and best individual lineman were at home watching the playoffs with us the past few weeks (Dal, Pit, Phi, Ind).

I think that the Vikings need to improve the OL, but I don’t agree that a single good OL is more valuable than a single good WR. 

That’s fair. But It’s also fair to use this same assessment on receivers. Most games this playoff, the loser was the team with the better receiver. We beat Thomas, KC beat Hopkins, SF beat Diggs and Theilen, and SF also beat Adams. The two SB teams don’t have much at wife receiver either.

And many of the absolute best receivers were sitting at home in week 17. Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The issue is Cousins needs 5 good lineman to beat really good defenses and the offense needs good skill players to run its system.....we might be doomed either way

This truly is. We as a team, more than any other team, need a good OL to be successful. We want to run the ball a lot AND we have a QB who plays a lot worse with pressure in the pocket.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

That’s fair. But It’s also fair to use this same assessment on receivers. Most games this playoff, the loser was the team with the better receiver. We beat Thomas, KC beat Hopkins, SF beat Diggs and Theilen, and SF also beat Adams. The two SB teams don’t have much at wife receiver either.

And many of the absolute best receivers were sitting at home in week 17. Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.

I just generally disagree that any single good OL is more valuable than a single good WR in a vacuum. The successful teams in the NFL haven’t really shown that to be true recently.

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I just generally disagree that any single good OL is more valuable than a single good WR in a vacuum. The successful teams in the NFL haven’t really shown that to be true recently.

I haven’t seen any evidence of that myself, but fair enough.

I do think, at least with us, OL is more important because Kirk doesn’t deal well with pressure and our focus on the run game. Although limited, our results with only one good receiver (when Theilen went out) were good. I imagine if we lost O’Neill or really any of our lineman sans Pat that we’d have had it as smoothly. (This isn’t to say I’m content with our current WR group sans Theilen or Diggs. We’d likely need to replace the missing WR, in this scenario it’s Diggs, with a mid tier WR.)

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

I haven’t seen any evidence of that myself, but fair enough.

I do think, at least with us, OL is more important because Kirk doesn’t deal well with pressure and our focus on the run game. Although limited, our results with only one good receiver (when Theilen went out) were good. I imagine if we lost O’Neill or really any of our lineman sans Pat that we’d have had it as smoothly.

Edited by Duluther

Yeah but the team also needs to put a stronger focus of the passing game.

The trouble with Kirk is that it doesn't seem that the team can get away with playing the value game on the IOL. Interior pressure is mostly up to the QB to deal with, they should be able to mitigate and avoid it(even if they aren't that mobile) and most good QBs do because you can see it coming.

Kirk doesn't tho...which is the problem. He needs the line to be, at the very least, good across the board.  Which is incredibly hard to do in the NFL.

..... Quandry

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I always get nervous opening this thread lol

Man he isn’t going anywhere lol. This thread literally started off of false speculation. It started off of statements that Diggs said himself was nonsense hyped up by the media. This thread has just been the “diggs” thread if you wanna talk about him lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

You're missing the point. Trading Diggs for a lineman is cutting your nose off to spite your face. The offense doesn't get better.

If you think the team doesn't have the resources to actually get better and you gotta blow it up, Diggs being apart of the tear down doesn't make sense either. He's 26... he needs to be apart of the future either way.

I'm not saying we should trade diggs for a lineman. I'm saying with Cousins, we'd actually be a better team with a stronger OL and only 1 star WR, since we are committed to the run game.

Its more an inditment that Cousins will never utilize Thielen + Diggs to the maximum. So even if they are both star talents, having both play like stars in single games is very hard with a Cousins QB. 

Call it QB non ability, call it poor play Calling, call it to invested in the run game, call it bad HC direction .. call it anything we like ... We are not utilizing our stud WRs enough, and we'd get more maxiumum utilization with more OL talent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Man he isn’t going anywhere lol. This thread literally started off of false speculation. It started off of statements that Diggs said himself was nonsense hyped up by the media. This thread has just been the “diggs” thread if you wanna talk about him lol.

He isn't, but Diggs is always posting cryptic stuff on Twitter just to get a rise out of people.  It happened again over the last few days.  

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm not saying we should trade diggs for a lineman. I'm saying with Cousins, we'd actually be a better team with a stronger OL and only 1 star WR, since we are committed to the run game.

Its more an inditment that Cousins will never utilize Thielen + Diggs to the maximum. So even if they are both star talents, having both play like stars in single games is very hard with a Cousins QB. 

Call it QB non ability, call it poor play Calling, call it to invested in the run game, call it bad HC direction .. call it anything we like ... We are not utilizing our stud WRs enough, and we'd get more maxiumum utilization with more OL talent.

I'd argue the coaches won't utilize them both, not the QB.....

12 hours ago, Duluther said:

On an unrelated point, a good lineman dwarfs the value of a good receiver. In a vacuum. I wouldn’t necessarily trade Diggs unless I knew it was for a sure-to-be good OL that is young and for cheap. So it’s have to be for a Quentin Nelson type prospect.

I agree 100%. WRs are almost worthless without a decent OL. The same is not true in reverse. Other than QB, the offensive linemen are the most important offensive players.

Diggs is great but as Vikings have seen time and time again it is still relatively easy for a defense to take away a star WR when the QB doesn't get time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Yeah but the team also needs to put a stronger focus of the passing game.

Why???

SF just proved you can win with the formula that we are implementing. Strong run game and strong defense. 

With the way our team is build that's what we need to focus on. Continue to run the ball and it setups our passing game. And if the other team stops the run the adjust. 

Only way I see us becoming a team that is focused on the passing game is if we blow the thing up. 

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree 100%. WRs are almost worthless without a decent OL. The same is not true in reverse. Other than QB, the offensive linemen are the most important offensive players.

Diggs is great but as Vikings have seen time and time again it is still relatively easy for a defense to take away a star WR when the QB doesn't get time.

I totally agree...if the front office wants to stick with Cousins going forward, then investing resources in OLine is lot more crucial than WR.

• Like 2