Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Do you make star players like Diggs and Thielen happy by benching Cousins? Doesn’t seem prudent but if results don’t improve, what do we have to lose.

I think they need to come out throwing the ball. I felt that way after the Green Bay game, and heading into Chicago. They need to get Cousins out of this funk. And I think you can do that in part by centralizing Diggs and Thielen in the game plan. 

And going up against the 32nd ranked pass defense this week should make that an easy way to go. 

• Like 3

The interpretation that I took away from the Diggs comments is that Diggs is frustrated with the way that the team is performing, and that the frustration stems from him believing that he’s not being utilized to the best of his abilities to help the team win. And that he is not asking for a trade, he wants to play in Minnesota, but if the team isn’t going to use him to the best of those abilities, then maybe he would be better off going to a team that would. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yawn. everyone associated with the Vikings is right now.

wins will take that away.

The Vikes are 2-2. Would be nice to have gone to GreenBay and Chicago and pick up wins, but the team left too many plays on the field in the passing game. Diggs and Thielen are part of the passing game and you can certainly point to mistakes they made that contributed to the loss as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think they need to come out throwing the ball. I felt that way after the Green Bay game, and heading into Chicago. They need to get Cousins out of this funk. And I think you can do that in part by centralizing Diggs and Thielen in the game plan. 

And going up against the 32nd ranked pass defense this week should make that an easy way to go. 

Same I thought for sure we would try getting the passing game going against Chicago instead of running into a brick wall.

The team should be able to spread it out a bit more instead of relying so much on the run.  They cannot find balance it is feast or famine.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes are 2-2. Would be nice to have gone to GreenBay and Chicago and pick up wins, but the team left too many plays on the field in the passing game. Diggs and Thielen are part of the passing game and you can certainly point to mistakes they made that contributed to the loss as well.

the irony of the reality of that statement, and the over analysis culture of the NFL, is that if a handful of plays in those games had gone the other way we'd be 4-0 and touted as one of the best teams in the league.

but we'd only be a few plays different than who we presently are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freakout said:

Same I thought for sure we would try getting the passing game going against Chicago instead of running into a brick wall.

The team should be able to spread it out a bit more instead of relying so much on the run.  They cannot find balance it is feast or famine.

They can’t spread the ball out based on personnel. That decision was made with a switch to a 2 TE offense and only carry 4 WRs, one of which has been a dreadful bust. Maybe Johnson is a player that can be useful. If we want to spread the ball out, get Kyle Rudolph on the bench and use Smith and Johnson to take pressure off Diggs and Thielen.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They can’t spread the ball out based on personnel. That decision was made with a switch to a 2 TE offense and only carry 4 WRs, one of which has been a dreadful bust. Maybe Johnson is a player that can be useful. If we want to spread the ball out, get Kyle Rudolph on the bench and use Smith and Johnson to take pressure off Diggs and Thielen.

You can spread the ball out plenty with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Smith, Johnson, and Conklin. 

It’s not an unathletic bunch. 

I don’t believe it’s about wins with Diggs. The losses certainly exacerbate things. But if we were 4-0 right now and he had the same stat line, I think he’d still be frustrated. I think he wants stats. He wants the attention that goes along with those stats. You don’t get the endorsements and awards putting up 48/700/3. 

gary kubiak's wide zone influence isn't what is holding thielen and diggs back. andre johnson had a 1600 yard season when kubiak was in houston and demaryius thomas and emmanuel sanders both had over 1,000 yard seasons in back to back years. in 2015 thomas had 1304 yards and 105 receptions on 177 targets, while sanders had 1135 yards and 76 receptions on 136 targets (in 15 games). 

the heavy personnel packages still allow for two high-volume receivers, as long as the team is willing to throw the ball. so far we've easily thrown the least passes in the league and our target share doesn't reflect what one would think would happen, which is thielen and diggs dominating the target share.  

• Like 1