Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

One thing that we as fans need to remember is that it's only Week 5.  We have played four games.  We won two of them, and aside from the bad decision to pass at the end of the game in Lambeau, we more than likely would have beaten Green Bay.  In spite of that mistake, Kirk did have some very nice passes in that game too, which a lot of people seem to have forgotten about.  Last week, against the Bears, it was a tough game for the whole offense, but it's not like too many other teams are going to go into Chicago and put up a bunch of points on that defense.  We lost two division games on the road.  It's not like Kirk has suddenly turned into Christian Ponder.  The guy CAN play.  He just needs to learn to play the way he can in big games.  Time will tell if he can do that, but writing off this whole season and 2020 is very premature at this point.  We paid him.  We're stuck with him.  Let's all take a breath and see how he does for the rest of the season.  Like many of you, I'm skeptical too, but its also still very early.  There is time to get things going in the right direction.  

• Like 6

Stefon Diggs in 2013 as a freshman at Maryland...

You get down, but you have to pick your teammates up. Good things are eventually going to happen. There's no way around that for your team if you practice well enough.

and from 2016...

At the end of the day, I don’t care how many catches I have or how many yards I have. As long as the Ws keep stacking up in the win column, I’m happy.

I think he needs to remember those.

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Do you think it possible to de-funk Kirk Cousins?

I do. I don’t, personally, how to do it. However, while Cousins may not be a top 10 QB, as we all debated during the time of his signing, he’s not a bottom 5 QB as he’s played so far this year. 

I fully expected the offense to clunk along early in the season. Maybe not like this, but I expected significant ups and downs. Then, as the season progressed, we’d see the offense get better and better until it was finely tuned. Not totally dissimilar to Atlanta’s offense in 2017 after they had to adjust to life without Shanahan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Diggs signed his contract right before training camp last year. That was after the hiring of Defilippo, after the signing of Cousins, and after getting a sense of the offense in OTAs. 

Thats why he re-signed. 

That and the $50M or whatever he signed for.  ;)

Diggs reiterated at his podium session that he has not asked to be traded from the Vikings, but also said there is “truth to all rumors.”

“I haven’t communicated anything,” Diggs said. “More so, the conversations I’ve had have only been about the team and trying to have success on the field.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-stefon-diggs-addresses-speculation-says-he-hasnt-requested-trade?sf220773179=1

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder why he resigned with us then? He know’s Zimmer’s philosophy and that Thielen wasn’t going anywhere. Why are good WRs so prone to becoming divas?

Because they are totally dependent on the QB getting them the football and the OL protecting the QB to give them time to throw.  If that does not happen, they can be open and ready to make plays but they cannot get the ball.  Thus the frustration...

Sadly Diggs is honestly not nearly good enough to be a diva WR, Randy was, Chris was Stefon is not.  Heck he has never even made a Pro bowl so he can get off his high horse already.  Adam Thielen is the better of the two and Diggs clearly dislikes that fact as well.  The freak out in Green Bay showed a lot of that obvious frustration and if he is hurting the team and has a bad attitude I would love for him to leave and we can spend that money on someone else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Thielen is the better of the two and Diggs clearly dislikes that fact as well.  The freak out in Green Bay showed a lot of that obvious frustration and if he is hurting the team and has a bad attitude I would love for him to leave and we can spend that money on someone else.  

ouch. harsh.

And wrong. Diggs is a better receiver, and Thielen has had his fair share of blow ups and outbursts. Diggs and Thielen are like best friends and only want the best for each other. Diggs’ money is immaterial.

The point is that Cousins is the problem here, and both receivers are rightfully frustrated.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And wrong. Diggs is a better receiver, and Thielen has had his fair share of blow ups and outbursts. Diggs and Thielen are like best friends and only want the best for each other. Diggs’ money is immaterial.

The point is that Cousins is the problem here, and both receivers are rightfully frustrated.

Nailed it. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Maybe, I still say Thielen is the better route runner and better receiver across the board and the fact he has been an All Pro and Pro bowler helps prove that a little.

And last time I checked most of you loved Kirk Cousins when he came to Minnesota.  I did not and questioned it along with a few others, but that was the minority opinion around here.  Glad to see more now seeing the light of what he actually is as a QB potentially.  People were saying he was top 5-10 QBs in the NFL when he came.  That is clearly not even close to the reality right now.  

It still always amazes me how quickly a fan base will turn on players. Some of y'all need to chill out.

Diggs is an incredible player that this team absolutely needs if they're to figure this thing out this year and in future years, for that matter. Anyone acting like the offense would be fine without him is delusional. Same for those who think a 1st and Zay Jones is a favorable trade for the Vikings.

Zim better get to work showing the kind of leader he is and get everyone moving in the same direction and helping Diggs (and Thielen) get a little less frustrated (they have every right to be)

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

It still always amazes me how quickly a fan base will turn on players. Some of y'all need to chill out.

Diggs is an incredible player that this team absolutely needs if they're to figure this thing out this year and in future years, for that matter. Anyone acting like the offense would be fine without him is delusional. Same for those who think a 1st and Zay Jones is a favorable trade for the Vikings.

Zim better get to work showing the kind of leader he is and get everyone moving in the same direction and helping Diggs (and Thielen) get a little less frustrated (they have every right to be)

Diggs is a talented player no doubt, and I’d suppprt him over Cousins if it comes down to having to take sides. However, I get annoyed when players think they are bigger than the system. Unless Diggs is a transcendent player like Randy Moss, it’s hard to justify having to coddle him or build a system for him, just so he receives his bonus money at the end of the day.

Diggs is not even the best WR on his own team. I love having two top 15 WRs on this team, it just seems that it may be backfiring now, especially if Thielen and Diggs have statistical milestones tied to pay that directly compete against each other. Those milestones become even more difficult to obtain when Cook is leading the league in rushing and Cousins is finding ways to lose games.

• Like 1