Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

honestly, if i'm diggs i'm within my rights to wonder why a team paid me to be a top-12 receiver and then gives me the 58th most targets on the year. there are 22 tight ends and running backs in the league that have more targets than diggs so far in the season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

And wrong. Diggs is a better receiver, and Thielen has had his fair share of blow ups and outbursts. Diggs and Thielen are like best friends and only want the best for each other. Diggs’ money is immaterial.

The point is that Cousins is the problem here, and both receivers are rightfully frustrated.

You should have more likes because you write good takes haha!

I hope we fix this problem for Thielen and Diggs sooner rather than later. They deserve it.

Our whole team deserves it.

• Like 1

Something occurred to me while watching the Seahawks’ game tonight. It was the incredible passion of the team. They were fired up no matter the circumstances. Sometimes the Vikings are fired up and sometimes they come out lifeless. I wonder if some of this is the coaching philosophy. Pete Carroll looks like he’s having a blast out there. Perhaps that vibrates through to his players whether it’s spoken or not. Zimmer is no nonsense. Rarely cracking a smile. I’ve never seen him really celebrate with a player. 

Now. There’s another no nonsense coach, Belicheck, that has a no nonsense attitude and obviously it works for him. Maybe it’s about constructing a roster that matches the type of personality that works with the coaches’ demeanor. Belicheck seems to value robots and treats players, with the exception of Brady, as dispensable. It’s likely because he is coaching on an entirely different level so he doesn’t need as much talent. 

One other thing I noticed was the contrast of Russell Wilson’s demeanor between Cousins’. Nothing seems to phase Wilson. Throw a pick? Same face. A bad play. Nothing. He seems imperturbable and it shows in how he reacts when chaos is all around him. Cousins, on the other hand, looks like he is petrified. Scared of making mistakes. Incredibly high strung. 

Cousins’ problem is likely psychological. What I think he needs is a great therapist. The talent is there, but there is something holding him back from unleashing its latent potential. 

The problem with psychological work is it often doesn’t lend to quick fixes. This is especially true if the person doesn’t think they need help or is non compliant. Sometimes people aren’t ready to listen. That doesn’t make them a bad person, or incompetent. It just makes them human. 

I hope that they’ve considered this angle with Cousins. I don’t enjoy watching someone be stressed out. I don’t care how much money they make. His poor play is symptomatic. With the way football is oriented toward warrior-spirit and masculinity it’s hard for me to imagine he’ll get the help that might unleash his inner beast. 

All I know is that I don't miss the days when Bernard Berrian was one of our top 2 wr... or Bobby Wade, Robert Ferguson, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson etc... Those were dark days for the passing game and I'm glad we have 2 studs as our starting wrs along with several other offensive weapons.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And last time I checked most of you loved Kirk Cousins when he came to Minnesota.  I did not and questioned it along with a few others, but that was the minority opinion around here. 

Are you sure you're talking about this Forum?  I think the majority opinion was that he was the best option at the time, not that we "loved Kirk Cousins" or didn't question it.  I think most of us were cautiously optimistic...at least I was and several others.  

As far as Diggs goes, I'm still confused as to why he picked now to begin complaining, considering he just had 7 catches for 108 yds.  He may be behind his usual pace for receptions at this point, but there's still plenty of time for him to get his touches.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Something occurred to me while watching the Seahawks’ game tonight. It was the incredible passion of the team. They were fired up no matter the circumstances. Sometimes the Vikings are fired up and sometimes they come out lifeless. I wonder if some of this is the coaching philosophy. Pete Carroll looks like he’s having a blast out there. Perhaps that vibrates through to his players whether it’s spoken or not. Zimmer is no nonsense. Rarely cracking a smile. I’ve never seen him really celebrate with a player. 

Now. There’s another no nonsense coach, Belicheck, that has a no nonsense attitude and obviously it works for him. Maybe it’s about constructing a roster that matches the type of personality that works with the coaches’ demeanor. Belicheck seems to value robots and treats players, with the exception of Brady, as dispensable. It’s likely because he is coaching on an entirely different level so he doesn’t need as much talent. 

One other thing I noticed was the contrast of Russell Wilson’s demeanor between Cousins’. Nothing seems to phase Wilson. Throw a pick? Same face. A bad play. Nothing. He seems imperturbable and it shows in how he reacts when chaos is all around him. Cousins, on the other hand, looks like he is petrified. Scared of making mistakes. Incredibly high strung. 

Cousins’ problem is likely psychological. What I think he needs is a great therapist. The talent is there, but there is something holding him back from unleashing its latent potential. 

The problem with psychological work is it often doesn’t lend to quick fixes. This is especially true if the person doesn’t think they need help or is non compliant. Sometimes people aren’t ready to listen. That doesn’t make them a bad person, or incompetent. It just makes them human. 

I hope that they’ve considered this angle with Cousins. I don’t enjoy watching someone be stressed out. I don’t care how much money they make. His poor play is symptomatic. With the way football is oriented toward warrior-spirit and masculinity it’s hard for me to imagine he’ll get the help that might unleash his inner beast. 

Maybe we need to call Robert Kraft and get the number of one of his "therapists".  :D 

• Like 1

I don't think Diggs reaction is confusing if you take stats/money out of it. He's playing with a QB who just isn't seeing the field and is costing the team wins in big spots. Thielen was actually more outwardly vocal and critical. I still think this is all about frustration with Cousins not being able to execute.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He's playing with a QB who just isn't seeing the field and is costing the team wins in big spots. Thielen was actually more outwardly vocal and critical. I still think this is all about frustration with Cousins not being able to execute.

I agree that this is what it all boils down to. Cousins refused to push the ball downfield and when he did he missed the throws. Those were the type of throws he was hitting last year.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Are you sure you're talking about this Forum?  I think the majority opinion was that he was the best option at the time, not that we "loved Kirk Cousins" or didn't question it.  I think most of us were cautiously optimistic...at least I was and several others.  

As far as Diggs goes, I'm still confused as to why he picked now to begin complaining, considering he just had 7 catches for 108 yds.  He may be behind his usual pace for receptions at this point, but there's still plenty of time for him to get his touches.  

Maybe it’s about winning and not touches. Two games that arguably could have been won with superior quarterbacking. It’s kind of interesting, though, that Diggs is equally responsible for last week’s loss given his fumble. Cousins needs momentum and he fumbled it away ultimately leading to a cascade of events. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Maybe it’s about winning and not touches. Two games that arguably could have been won with superior quarterbacking. It’s kind of interesting, though, that Diggs is equally responsible for last week’s loss given his fumble. Cousins needs momentum and he fumbled it away ultimately leading to a cascade of events. 

He dropped a big third down reception in the GB game too that could have resulted in a significant play. Could have swung the momentum to favor MN.