LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 1 year 1 million

OG Ted Larsen 1 year 1 million

LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million

OT Rashaad Coward 1 year 1 million

S DHC 1 year 1 million

Cap Room: 15.2 Million

Free Agency  spent [2021:  million]

TE Nick Vannett [Pittsburgh] 3 years 12 million/4 guaranteed [3]

The Bears TEs are not good blockers. There are times when Shaheen looks alright and then others where he is standing around like a confused Frankenstien. If the Bears need to run the ball and be more physical to make up for non-elite QB play they need a TE that they can trust to do that. Vannett can block, he can threaten in the passing game well enough, and he can step in as the primary Y and not get pushed around like we are currently seeing.

092419-vannett.jpg?itok=QDrzLt4k

Cap Room: 11.2 Million

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Draft: 4 Million Spent [2021: 5 million]

2. QB Jalen Hurts [OU] 6'1" 223lbs.

Mitchell Trubisky has not proven himself to be a franchise player. He has been wildly inconsistent and injured and the Bears should not detonate an elite, maybe generational defense, so that they can pay Trubisky 30 million a season. He simply is not that much better than a draftable option that will come with 1/15th the price tag and allow you to keep defensive players like HHCD and RRH. I like Hurts, I like him even more that he has spent a year with Lincoln Riley and taken a step as a passer. I like that he can run the RPO game. I like that he has the arm strength and willingness to push the ball downfield. I like that he has played in big moments, at the biggest programs, and seems wired to handle that level of pressure and the requirements of being the guy. I would like to see what Nagy can do picking and building a QB from the ground up.

This is a win-win for the Bears. If Mitch plays really well you can re-sign him and trade Hurts after he has spent a year being developed by Nagy. If Trubisky continues to be Trubisky, you have Hurts developed by Nagy for a year and ready to step in while making 1.5 million.

Oklahoma-v-UCLA-a122c22fef92ffe660808b29430ceb7b.jpg

2. OT Mekhi Becton [Louisville] 6'7" 340lbs.

The Bears are painfully soft on the OL and their struggle to run the ball has now gone well into a 2nd season. The Bears need to get bigger, more physical, and more imposing on the OL. Charles Leno makes 9/season and has been bad in 2019. He plays way to soft and makes running to his side of the field almost pointless. Enter Becton who can come in and compete to take his job and save the Bears some money while getting bigger and more physical. Becton is a mountain of a man who has the length and feet to play LT and the size to be a featured part of the run game. Becton reminds me of Jason Peters if he hits his ceiling.

8155663.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

5. S Reggie Floyd [Virginia Tech] 6' 222lbs.

With the amount of blitzing that Pagano has shown he likes to do and in big moments the Bears need to ensure that they have guys in the backend who can cover and tackle. Floyd has 5 career interceptions, is an 80 tackle guy, and is averaging 6 tackles a game in 2019. He comes from a system that has produced good DBs and physical players and he should add depth to a SS position that needs to be cheap with what the Bears have invested at the safety spots. Floyd has the size as well to be in the box, blitz, and do some of the things that the position is now being asked to do.

8239961.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

5. CB Patrice Rene [UNC] 6'2" 208lbs.

The Bears are probably going to have to go cheaper at one of the CB spots if they want to retain guys like HHCD and RRH and they need to add more bodies and options to the competition. Tolliver, Denmark, and now Rene give them 3 big athletic options at that spot that are not making a ton of money. The Bears clearly like size on the outside and Rene has the size and length that they desire. Last season he had 2 interceptions and 5 passes defensed and has shown ball skills in his career.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwGa1Zl-AEbyvKY0EJhsx

5. OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 258lbs.

The Bears need to add more youth and depth at OLB, but I do not think they need to add someone high because of the level of play of the top 3 guys. Say what you want about Lynch and he is fat and he does not practice, but he makes plays when he is on the field. The Bears need to develop a long term 3rd rusher and someone who can replace Isaiah Irving this season. Coleman has the physical tools and the power to be that guy. 

Kendall+Coleman+Notre+Dame+v+Syracuse+Y0Or-xTamAIl.jpg

6. OG John Simpson [Clemson] 6'4" 330lbs.

The Bears should put 3 big bodied earth movers into the RG competition and see who comes out the other side. Bars, Coward, and Simpson are all guys who can move people and that is what the Bears need. Simpson is a powerful mauler who comes from a spread-zone based attack.

5a43532792cea.image.jpg?crop=1193%2C954%2C167%2C0&resize=400%2C320&order=crop%2Cresize

7. RB Elijah Mitchell [UL Lafayette] 5'11" 225lbs

This is a long term pick of a power RB that can replace Mike Davis when his contract expires after 2020 and they can save some money and get more straight ahead power in their backfield. Mitchell is a no non-sense hammer who runs hard and forward and can be used in that role and in situations where you may want to run out the clock. Mitchell had 13 TDs last year and 30 catches, so there may be some untapped receiving skills there. Mitchell probably hits the PR for the 2020 season until an injury.

5751a909e215a.image.jpg?resize=400%2C320
Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky/Hurts, Daniel

RB: Montgomery, Davis, Cohen, Whyte, Miller [PR]

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley

TE: Burton, Vannett, Shaheen, Braunecker 

LT: Leno/Becton

LG: Whitehair, Larsen

C: Daniels

RG: Bars/Coward/Simpson

RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, RRH

NT: Goldman, Williams

LE: Hicks, Abdullah

OLB: Floyd, Coleman

ILB: Smith, KPL

ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Woods

OLB: Mack, Lynch

CB: Fuller, Skrine, Tolliver, Shelley, Rene, Denmark

FS: Jackson, DHC

SS: HHCD, Floyd

• Like 1

Guiding Observations

1. Trubisky has not taken a step and cannot be paid big money.
2. The OL has been an over paid disappointment.
3. The defense is elite and needs to be kept together for as long as financially possible.
4. The defense needs an infusion of young cheap depth.

Always good work by you, Windy. You clearly put a lot of time into these things.

HHCD is playing well but I don't think I'd pay him, not that much anyway. There might be some decent veteran S's out there for 3-4 million a year, similar to HHCD this year.

It's cool you found a way to keep a lot of guys, mostly RRH. I'm not sure about Cohen yet. Obviously he has some explosive plays but he doesn't seem as fast this year. It could be the OL.

I would like to see CB and OG drafted higher especially if they're cutting Amukamara and Long.

Nice though I have doubts that Hurts would be available to us in the 2nd.   Like I said before, if he continue on this pace and Bears really want him they might have to trade both 2's to move up to the bottom of round 1 to get him.  Herbert and Tua are locks for top-5 but after that a QB needy team could jump on Hurts at some other spot in the 1st.

You can find a rookie running back to fair catch punts and get tackled at the line of scrimmage for a hell of a lot less than $9 million/year. 

I also think there will be better QB options other than Hurts with that pick (although I do like Hurts). 

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You can find a rookie running back to fair catch punts and get tackled at the line of scrimmage for a hell of a lot less than $9 million/year. 

I also think there will be better QB options other than Hurts with that pick (although I do like Hurts). 

Who it is doesn’t really matter.

He just needs to be worth developing with an eye on starting in 2021, or maybe at some point in 2020.

We cannot screw ourselves like many teams by paying huge money to a middle of the road QB. 

Kirk Cousins hamstrings what the Vikings can do.

Jimmy G will eventually hurt the 49ers cap when they need to pay Buckner and Wagner.

How much cap room of the Bengals dumped into Dalton, the Ravens into Flacco, Oakland into Carr.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Who it is doesn’t really matter.

He just needs to be worth developing with an eye on starting in 2021, or maybe at some point in 2020.

We cannot screw ourselves like many teams by paying huge money to a middle of the road QB. 

Kirk Cousins hamstrings what the Vikings can do.

Jimmy G will eventually hurt the 49ers cap when they need to pay Buckner and Wagner.

How much cap room of the Bengals dumped into Dalton, the Ravens into Flacco, Oakland into Carr.

I believe in Trubisky, until forcefully proven otherwise. Nonetheless, I agree with you. I like Eason and Love MUCH more than Hurts, although I do still like what Hurts has shown. (Which should make everyone question Saban, as far as I'm concerned). 

But I'm not backing down on my assessment of Cohen. There's no reason to pay a player $9 million/year to do next to nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I believe in Trubisky, until forcefully proven otherwise. Nonetheless, I agree with you. I like Eason and Love MUCH more than Hurts, although I do still like what Hurts has shown. (Which should make everyone question Saban, as far as I'm concerned). 

But I'm not backing down on my assessment of Cohen. There's no reason to pay a player $9 million/year to do next to nothing. 

Cohen has had a bad start to the year like everyone on offense not named Robinson.

He is a dynamic player and teams don’t let them walk.

But we will see. Maybe they hold off till 2021 if he continues to have a limited impact.

I think some of your contracts are a bit rich...no way I am paying HaHa that much when I know I have Eddie Jackson...I also agree Cohen would be an over spend at that price...

In terms of the draft I like what you are going for...never been a big fan of Hurts and think Lincoln Riley is making him look much better than he actually is but I wouldn't have a major issue with taking  QB that high if it is a guy who Nagy really believes is his guy...I really like Becton as well...

Overall this wouldn't be a bad offseason.