Tony Jefferson is Bad

BareYourTeeth

Jefferson made it on PFF's worst team of the week, which should be a surprise to no one.

Tony Jefferson, BAL: 28.2 Overall (51.2 Run Defense, 39.4 Tackling, 57.9 Pass Rushing, 28.9 Coverage)

- 0 Pressures on 3 Pass Rushing Snaps

- 4 Tackles

- 1 Missed Tackle

- 4 Catches Allowed on 6 Targets (1 Drop; 34 Routes)

- 115 Yards Allowed (90 YAC)

- 1 TD Allowed

- 3 1st Downs Allowed (Including TD)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Jefferson made it on PFF's worst team of the week, which should be a surprise to no one.

Tony Jefferson, BAL: 28.2 Overall (51.2 Run Defense, 39.4 Tackling, 57.9 Pass Rushing, 28.9 Coverage)

- 4 Tackles

- 1 Missed Tackle

- 1 TD Allowed

How is this man sooo bad?! Like, he's literally good at NOTHING right now. If it weren't for that ridiculous contract, he would not even be playing - given his performance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

How is this man sooo bad?! Like, he's literally good at NOTHING right now. If it weren't for that ridiculous contract, he would not even be playing - given his performance.

Yet he's playing ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE SNAPS. That's the most disturbing part. 

The guy was a rotational box run defender with Arizona but we're using him on 100% of the defensive snaps and mainly in coverage. 

Edited by BareYourTeeth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Honestly this is getting to a Greg Mattison and Cam Cameron level of annoyance for me. Sure Humphrey has made some coverage busts. But Jefferson has been very bad in almost every facet and instead of reduced playing time he’s rewarded with the green dot helmet. Makes no sense to me.

14 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

- 4 Tackles

- 1 Missed Tackle

- 1 TD Allowed

To think I was mad when you guys signed him instead of us!

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Honestly this is getting to a Greg Mattison and Cam Cameron level of annoyance for me. Sure Humphrey has made some coverage busts. But Jefferson has been very bad in almost every facet and instead of reduced playing time he’s rewarded with the green dot helmet. Makes no sense to me.

The problem is the guy with the green dot needs to be a smart player who knows where people are supposed to be. I think Peanut can be a good player but maybe he isn't very bright. Same with Earl Thomas. 

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The problem is the guy with the green dot needs to be a smart player who knows where people are supposed to be. I think Peanut can be a good player but maybe he isn't very bright. Same with Earl Thomas. 

Calm down there. Earl Thomas is one of the best players in the NFL at reading and reacting and baiting QB's. There's a video that was posted on Twitter today showing how Earl Thomas caused the INT to Canady because Jarvis quit on his route when Earl jumped it, giving Canady the space to intercept it.

Earl is incredibly smart. Tony Jefferson is not - when it comes to football. There is no universe where Jefferson should have the green dot.

20 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

- 4 Tackles

- 1 Missed Tackle

- 1 TD Allowed

Looking forward to his Twitter meltdown where he claims he's never missed a tackle or blown a coverage and anyone who thinks he has should "watch the tape" or "come try to play my position" or some other garbage.

Also looking forward to Harbaugh/Wink rewarding his play by naming him Team Captain this week and putting him in the Ring of Honor next week!

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

True. And Kenny Young is smart and could probably make the calls but would have to replace Peanut as the #1 or completely relegate Board to bench duty... which isn’t smart.

The other options would probably be Chuck Clark and Anthony Levine. Clark would be smart enough for the role but that’s a lot of space he’d have to travel to get the calls to the DL and play his responsibility while potentially disguising things. I mean if we’re being honest it was difficult on Weddle to do and he was as savvy as they come. Much easier for someone in the middle to do it.

I think a solution could be to start Levine and play him on 100% of the snaps as he can play close enough to the line to relay info to the DL yet far enough away to communicate with the DBs. Not sure how we would deploy him in our sets but he knows enough positions that I have to imagine he’d be a great communicator in getting everything properly aligned.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Thank you for making this it's own thread. It's warranted.

Yes, I believed so. 

It's so infuriatingly expected though. We all knew Jefferson wasn't good at what he's being asked to do before the Ravens signed him. How does Baltimore's coaching staff not?

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yes, I believed so. 

It's so infuriatingly expected though. We all knew Jefferson wasn't good at what he's being asked to do before the Ravens signed him. How does Baltimore's coaching staff not?

I'm really sick of us trying to sign these "balanced" safeties so that we can try to make them into swiss-army-knife kind of players when they're clearly not that. Eric Weddle was an All-Pro player and he's the ONLY safety who has been able to do that, but we keep signing these bargain dudes who are barely average at doing one thing and then making them out to be these well-rounded safeties who can do everything, and it's just backfired OVER AND OVER again.

It's funny to think how us drafting Derwin James could've altered Jefferson's trajectory with the team. Maybe he would be gone, on the bench, or in the very least in a more suitable role(Which at this point is....?).

This situation is so terrible because of how layered it is, and that we saw it coming. Bad Contract. Bad Player. Talented and Potential filled young safeties behind him on the depth chart. Then to top everything off, he's positioned himself as a team leader and the coaches have bought into him 100%. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Calm down there. Earl Thomas is one of the best players in the NFL at reading and reacting and baiting QB's. There's a video that was posted on Twitter today showing how Earl Thomas caused the INT to Canady because Jarvis quit on his route when Earl jumped it, giving Canady the space to intercept it.

Earl is incredibly smart. Tony Jefferson is not - when it comes to football. There is no universe where Jefferson should have the green dot.

Yes I agree once the ball is snapped, ET is incredibly smart and instinctive. But I remember him saying during the preseason that the Ravens D is a lot more complicated than the one he ran in Seattle. His whole time in Seattle they just ran the same defensive plays over and over, with him having the same responsibilities. 

Based on how he phrased it, I wouldn't want him organizing the defense pre-snap. He just doesn't have enough experience in a complex hybrid scheme to help in this one particular facet of the game. 

Suggs is a similar player in that sense. Once the ball is snapped, Suggs was a genius, but between snaps, maybe not so much.